Accounts Setup Assistance

It would change it. Try it and see.

I know it would but you said it wasnt what was putting the credit to sales account…
If I flip them and it reverses what it is what is doing the credit to sales BUT as it stands sales is set to be the DEBIT account.

This is what im trying to get my head arround, you set sales as source/debit account but it is crediting the account :confounded:

Look at balance of the account… It moved it from Sales into Receivables… sales is now a negative.

Do not think of the Debit column and Credit Column in accounting like a currency transaction. it has a different meaning. In accounting if you put a value under Credit then it means that account has a negative balance.

OK, yes, thanks, see that and that makes sense a bit more now but if you have moved money from sales to give a negative why is that value in the credit column?

You said moving money from an account is a debit?

So if you Debit 2.00 and debit column only had 2.00 then debit column is now empty. If you take that 2.0 from the debit column and put it into another account lets say Receivables then the Credit column of receivables now has 2.0

I dont understand how that answers the question sorry??

If you have a debit and a credit column why would you put a debit in the credit column?

your not putting a debit into the credit column your moving money from the debit column into the credit column of another account.

Yes, I debit sales, giving negative sales and credit receivables giving positive value.
But that debit from sales shows in the credit column.

Ok lets change angle of attack.
The above voucher credit account.
The account screen shows correctly as I would have expected.
A customer pays money into a credit account.
Debit - Payment Account - Cash
Credit - Voucher Account - xxxxx
But the transaction for this is

Which is set to the inverse, debit voucher account to credit payment account…

OK, think I have got it… still not quite understanding the terminology… I think the (Debit) and (Credit) on the transaction type fields is the misleading part, well in thinking that it relates to the credit/debit columns…

No your not debiting sales… your crediting sales and moving money to receivables.

In accounting if you credit an account it will show as a negative balance. If you debit an account it shows as a positive balance.

Answer me this… before the sale transaction what account holds the value of the sale?

Nothing, thats why it a negative, but the negative sales value cancels out against the positive payment accounts once settled.
Any variance between the two on a basic system will be open tickets where the sales has gone into receivables but a payment transaction hasnt canceled it out yet leaving a positive receivables account :smile: no?

So you make a sale it credits Sales and moves money into receivables so Sales shows credit of 3.20 balance of -3.20 and receivables shows a Debit of 3.20 balance of 3.20. Once payment is received it moves money from receivables into Cash so now receivables balance is 0 and cash is 3.20

its confusing because of the terms. You think of credit as positive… in accounting when you credit an account it makes its balance a negative.

So think of it this way… you have a credit card… The bank gives you a credit of 1000. To you thats a positive to the bank its a negative because they gave you that 1000 to spend.

I get the moving money arround, thats the bit I do understand LOL
I get the jist of it, think its just getting over preconceptions on terminology.

Its the starting point thats getting you. Its not using a transaction for the starting point… its only using them to move the money. So if your first movement is from sales to receivables then that means sales will show a credit. If you reverse that then it means you credited receivables and sales shows a positive.

So when you reverse the sales transaction your telling it to credit receivables thats understood and not part of the Sale Transaction Type. The sale transaction type moves money from that account into a target account.

So based on your first movement of money it decides which account to credit.

Its the debit<->credit thats confusing me.
Get a debit give negative number…
Get that a negative account value equates to a credit / money owed to the customer…
Its more the negative account being refereed to as a credit account, its a credit account to the customer, a debit account from the business point of view as you owe them.
As I said before its the credit/debit term perspective

Yes but what your not understanding is when you sell something you have a value that has to be credited somewhere. the first transaction type tells it what account to credit because its mapped to the ticket type.

So the sale transaction type if the source is debit then it automatically knows that it should credit the sale into the credit column. If the source is credit then it knows it should credit the debit column. After that first transaction type the movement of money is from source to target… you choose what column via transaction type.

It is very simplified accounting… funny thing is most people are used to more complex accounting so when they see it simplified like this they are confused. Sambapos screen is not accounting reports its the raw accounting. You can read it like a report if you know how but its not a report. Typically to read it like a report you pay attention to balances and ignore the credit/debit columns.

Remember accounting is just recording movement of funds. Accounting reports shows the results of that movement.

You could think of it this way… Item has sale value of 3.20 Sales account would show 3.20 in debit column and 3.20 in credit column leaving balance of 0 because no sale has happened yet.

But what is the point in showing that? There isnt. So its just understood when a sale is made you move money from debit column to receivables credit column leaving sales credit column with 3.20 and -3.20 balance

That does not mean you have negative sales… its just math to record movement of money so it gets into correct accounts.

The term sales doesnt involve money value at all. Its just a number you can have 102020302 in sales and never collect a single penny. You may not stay in business long though lol.

Thanks kendash, think I understand enough to get job done :slight_smile:

Am back struggling on reports to show account payments.
Any chance of a hand?

What am I missing?
This same report tag worked on the hotel system I worked on last month.

Show the actual accounting screen with that as well.

Sorry arrow should be the other way round :stuck_out_tongue: