Application Crashes when action is added to a rule

When I add an action to a rule I get the following error:

Inner Exception 3
Type: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException
Message: Cannot insert the value NULL into column ‘Id’, table ‘SambaPOS.dbo.ActionContainers’; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.
The statement has been terminated.
Source: .Net SqlClient Data Provider
Stack Trace: at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action1 wrapCloseInAction) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action1 wrapCloseInAction)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.TryConsumeMetaData()
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString, Boolean isInternal, Boolean forDescribeParameterEncryption)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry, SqlDataReader ds, Boolean describeParameterEncryptionRequest)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior) at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.Interception.DbCommandDispatcher.<Reader>b__c(DbCommand t, DbCommandInterceptionContext1 c)
at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.Interception.InternalDispatcher1.Dispatch[TTarget,TInterceptionContext,TResult](TTarget target, Func3 operation, TInterceptionContext interceptionContext, Action3 executing, Action3 executed)
at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.Interception.DbCommandDispatcher.Reader(DbCommand command, DbCommandInterceptionContext interceptionContext)
at System.Data.Entity.Internal.InterceptableDbCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.Entity.Core.Mapping.Update.Internal.DynamicUpdateCommand.Execute(Dictionary2 identifierValues, List1 generatedValues)
at System.Data.Entity.Core.Mapping.Update.Internal.UpdateTranslator.Update()

[Assembly Info]

mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0
Samba.Services, Version=1.0.0.0
Samba.Domain, Version=1.0.0.0
Samba.Infrastructure.Data, Version=1.0.0.0
System.ComponentModel.Composition, Version=4.0.0.0
Samba.Presentation.Services, Version=1.0.0.0
System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0
PresentationCore, Version=4.0.0.0
DevExpress.Xpf.LayoutControl.v14.1, Version=14.1.13.0
System.Xml, Version=4.0.0.0
DevExpress.Xpf.Grid.v14.1, Version=14.1.13.0
System, Version=4.0.0.0
DevExpress.Xpf.Grid.v14.1.Core, Version=14.1.13.0
WindowsBase, Version=4.0.0.0
System.Xaml, Version=4.0.0.0
PresentationFramework, Version=4.0.0.0
Samba.Infrastructure, Version=1.0.0.0
Microsoft.Practices.Prism, Version=4.0.0.0
System.Runtime.Serialization, Version=4.0.0.0
Microsoft.Practices.Prism.MefExtensions, Version=4.0.0.0
DevExpress.Xpf.Core.v14.1, Version=14.1.13.0
System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0
System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0
Samba.Persistance, Version=1.0.0.0
Stateless, Version=1.0.0.0
PropertyTools, Version=2012.4.14.1
Samba.Localization, Version=1.0.0.0
ReachFramework, Version=4.0.0.0
EntityFramework, Version=6.0.0.0
FluentValidation, Version=3.4.0.0
Microsoft.CSharp, Version=4.0.0.0
Omu.ValueInjecter, Version=2.3.0.0
Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation, Version=1.0.0.0

[System Info]

Operating System
-Microsoft Windows 10 Home
–CodeSet = 1252
–CSDVersion =
–CurrentTimeZone = -240
–FreePhysicalMemory = 8178544
–OSArchitecture = 64-bit
–OSLanguage = 1033
–ServicePackMajorVersion = 0
–ServicePackMinorVersion = 0
–Version = 10.0.14393

Show us screenshots of the action and the rule please.

It happens on every rule when I try to add an action.

Same error on every rule.

It is important you show us your action. Obviously you have done something wrong with it. That error does not tell us much other than its trying to insert a table with NULL value but that could be anything.

Hmm interesting so column ID is something else. Try running some maintenance tasks. Specifically under Settings > Program Settings > Maintenance > Rebuild Indexes

What version of SambaPOS are you running?

I’m trying to add Print Server Report action when the employee clocks out. Rebuilding the indexes didn’t solve the problem. The application crashes when I select save. It appears it can’t insert the necessary record in the ActionContainer table.

Version 5.1.62

Delete that action and remake it then try adding it. It says the Id column is null that shouldn’t happen so try remaking the action.

I found the cause of the problem (it was me). At some point I was playing around on my test box and I turned off the identity ID in the appaction table. Once I changed the setting to Yes every thing worked fine. I have to quit playing around late at night.

You should definitely be very careful about manually altering the SQL Database Structure… your sure to mess something up there :stuck_out_tongue: Lesson learned I guess lol. Glad you remembered that I doubt we would have figured out that you did that.