Best way to accept and process Credit Cards?

Do you have a “tip” operation ? I’m just trying to figure out the best way to support tipping with paypal here so as to not give the customer too many receipts, aka keeping simple.

I do. and I charge the full amount of ticket + tip when I run the card.

No Offence @DavidR but what are you on about?
How does choosing Samba cost you an extra 3000 in CC fees.
Choosing samba in no way dictates which card processing company you would use…
As with most POS systems for smaller businesses SambaPOS does not offer any intergrated card processing facilities meaning you would use a stand alone card machine from whatever provider you like.

2 Likes

I didn’t choose samba for cost savings. I chose it because it’s better and fits my needs better. Also I think my configuration is very fancy smancy.

If your viewing Sambapos as just a way to save money then your missing out on why Sambapos is better than the rest.

2 Likes

So what do you need from the forum? How can we help you?

PS I would rather use Sambapos vs the competition because it can do more for what I need. I really do not need cc integration. If I you want to talk cost savings then you need to compare more than just cc integration.

I don’t understand what your asking for from the community.

2 Likes

Well it is serious and thousands of very happy Sambapos users think so too. The forum is very active with people happy with the very serious offering. I’m not convinced your serious however. You sound like you already made your mind up.

Feel free to try it out and use the forum even ask questions.

Hmm I’m not sure what your getting at. It’s obvious your not happy with Sambapos. That is fine you don’t have to use it.

I urge you to try it out and get to know the forum it’s really a great community. Emre has explained several times the reason for no cc integration right now. It’s not too hard to search the forum for those discussions.

Again thousands of very happy Sambapos users use this every day in multiple countries and are very happy.

Hmm ok I’ll respond to that. I run a business that does about %78 of my transactions using cc. I don’t accept checks the rest is cash. My business is in the USA. I would love to have cc integration but I understand why I can’t right now. That’s ok.

I really want to help you but we are getting no where. Sambapos does not have cc integration right now. We can not do anything about that at the moment. If that’s your deal breaker then that’s fine it’s your choice but there is much more benefit than just cc processing.

We are ready and willing to answer your questions.

You can do all of what you mentioned except cc processing.

@emre can explain better than me. I don’t remember all of the conversation in the past but he has explained it multiple times and no it’s not because of money.

I am ok with it because I understood the reasons and because I get by fine right now without it. It was and still is not a deal breaker for me.

So @DavidR you joined a few hours ago (so the forum tells me) and you want all the answers at “light speed”? Funny was a bit like me some time ago…

I have spent much time in the banking and “CC” processing area so the thing is it not quite what you think. Have you much experience with the Merchant area and banking? I ask this sincerely not as a “jest”…[quote=“DavidR, post:38, topic:8351”]

the people running the project can’t raise the money to do PCI compliance testing?
[/quote]

I make a big assumption here but it has nothing to do with this. No I am not waving a “fan club” banner but ask me why I just sent a Eftpos Terminal back to the Provide for firmware revisions…?

Ok see you response - came in just after mine.

So CC processing where would you like me to start?
You need a sponsor right - bank, but each nation(?) is different. In Oz we have 2 governing associations, 1 for CC’s (a consortium) and 1 for Banks. There are different rules for both.

Apart from different rules you have a completely different interface for CC gateways - all HAVE PROPRIETRY interfaces. The interface is all dependant on the CC Terminal you use.

If you have some C++ skills I can give you sample code to build a DLL into SambPOS. The Developers have just provider an Integration point for this.

@DavidR I understand your point of questioning, but I only just understood the issues faced for this just 1 week ago. Truly I can talk all night on this and give you all the data you need but my view is solely based on Aust. rules and regs. Singapore, NZ, Malaysia, all have different methods and terminal interfaces.

I assume you are a integrator working in the US…

Oh I should add I am talking pure Card integration so Credit Cards, Debit Cards, Value Cards etc etc. Not just CC processing as that stuff is simple.

1 Like

We can beat the dead horse all day in regard to Sambapos lack of cc integration. What other questions can we help you with in regard to Sambapos?

1 Like

@DavidR

I agree credit card integration is a good to have, but it is not a deal breaker.

Use an external terminal and you would get better rates than integrated processing.

Many POS software vendors get a kickback for using a preferred processor.

I use SambaPOS in 5 restaurants in US with external terminals and two restaurants do close to 1 million per year in CC processing.

3 Likes

Please do not create another account to circumvent the forum spam protection. I elevated your other account so you can post. I will delete this duplicate account

1 Like

Work with me here David as I really can answer your questions.

Well this is incorrect for my Supplier of the Terminal.
Firstly it is an accredited process which is unique to Australia. Then I must support “power failure”, roll back, and messaging throughout the transaction. So NO is not as you suggest and this is what I suggested to the terminal manufacturer which they :laughing:

Our Company has a workaround that can provide rates much lower than this. As @na1978 suggested we do about 10x this amount. The kicker is that you MUST SUPPORT walk in traffic and that is always going to require a physical terminal that supports CC, Bank, Debit Card, This Card, That Card etc etc. The Terminal and access to the nations banking hub comes with a lot of criteria.

Yes I can talk all night on the criteria as well. I hope you a getting a small insight to why a integration point was opened up for Developers?

EDIT:
Anyway it is late 11pm PERTH and it may be time for bed. Yes I am very frustrated as this point as after spending 24 hours on a USB terminal Driver I am told its got a “bug” and send it back across Australia to get a firmware upgrade! That is on top of me having to learn a 3rd language if I want a pure DLL integration or accept a 2nd class File messaging integration to cheat the EftPOS accreditation.

How am I going so far…
PS I may choose File Messaging as it will create a window for other integrations for EftPOS.

4 Likes

@pauln

You live in PERTH WESTERN AUSTRALIA?!:open_mouth:

1 Like

Wow, that was some heated debating.

Would be intrigued to know how many of those 100’s of POS systems actually offer an integration for CC terminal which is not specific to one particular provider.

I think we are very close to a solution through custom devices and paulin seems to be leading the way on that and looking forward to seeing him succeed.

I don’t get what the big issue is, most things in samba can be done through user customization, more serious things like cc integration cant right now, if thats a necessity you need right now they you are likely to need to look at alternative software’s.

Not sure about the US but here in UK only big businesses generally have integrated card machines.
The hotel I do tech for is part of a group of 3 hotels of which I dread to think how much they turn over and integrated card machine is not a big concern. If anything separate machines work better for us where table service if offered its better for us if anything.

Anyway, as kendash said think this is beating a dead horse as made his mind up already.

If it did have integration already it would probably be the wrong type/company anyway

1 Like

Even V2 version had First Data integration. That implemented by a contributor.

That was not PCI compliant. Just a quick solution. So I decided not to release it publicly as a part of SambaPOS package. V5 is not open source but integrating libraries is still possible. I’m sharing more details about such possibilities so people who offers SambaPOS as a part of their POS system solutions can offer their own integration solutions.

2 Likes

@DavidR haters gonna hate… If you can’t take the heat get out of the kitchen bro!