Caller ID in Italy

I have done many setups with Caller ID in the UK, I use this USB Modem which works perfectly (it is one of only a few which works with BT in the UK):

Anyway, I recently have a client in Italy and set them up using this same USB modem. Caller ID is active on their line but it isn’t working. I am just getting RING when testing with Putty. I have tried all known AT commands:

AT+GCI=59 - Set country to Italy
AT+VCID=1 - Turn on Caller ID
AT-SCID=1 - set different type of Caller ID (I never use this in UK but makes no difference setting this for Italy)

This is not a SambaPOS issue because Putty isn’t showing the number - so I am not looking for help in how to use Caller ID in SambaPOS. It is a question to ask for advice of anyone else in Italy or experience with the phone systems there as to if there is a reason this USB modem does not work there - and if there is an alternative model I can use in Italy. Ideally I would prefer to use a USB modem over a dedicated caller ID device because of cost (and I have used USB modems on many setups without issue).

Caller ID works fine on the phone line, it shows the incoming number on a phone connected to the line.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Do they have caller ID on their line? It’s fairly standard in UK I think but still possible to not have it enabled. Think it’s refered to as number presentation or something like that.
I know the cordless phones at one of the pubs don’t show incoming caller number if it comes in on pstn but does on the sip truck we also use through those phones

Yes they have caller ID already on the line and I have a photo showing the number coming up on a cordless phone…

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/microsoft.public.win32.programmer.tapi/7feXtupWeiA

1 Like

Useful find, although all the reference links are dead :frowning:

Did a search and found a few things, but opened more problems than before. The link you shared says Italy uses the ETSI FSK standard, but then I found another site saying Italy use Bellcore FSK (same as USA, etc.).

The modem I used I am surprised it does not work, because it isn’t the cheapest one and it supports BT in the UK, which many do not, giving the assumption it is a well supported device.

Tomorrow I will ask them to use the cable from their phone instead of the one I supplied (I had Amazon ship the modem from the UK, and as it came with a BT plug, I included a BT to RJ11 adaptor). I wonder if the combination of BT plug and RJ11 adaptor is causing problems, so I will ask them to use a pure RJ11-RJ11 cable they happen to have one used on their cordless phone already. I really hope it’s something simple like that. I don’t really want to have to suggest using more expensive caller ID hardware, surely it shouldn’t be needed.

I may also try contacting Zoom unless I can find info specifically about it, see if that gets any results.

Perhaps, definitely worth a try.
Not sure how the caller id comes through.
There is typically only a single pair for pstn and a third internally which is bell/ring for older unpowered phones I believe.
Most bundled rj11s I’ve ever seen only have the 2 wires connected in them so I would have expected all or nothing but still worth a try.

Got it working - set the country to USA! I had the idea after reading online it appears Italy have 2 different systems, it said one is same as USA. So I took a chance and changed country and it worked. :slight_smile:

Did not need to change cable.

2 Likes

Hey Mark I know this thread is ancient but I was hoping you might be able to explain something as I’m basically doing the same thing you are.

It sounds like you’re attempting to get that modem to correctly caller-ID any incoming call regardless of country, is that right? Your last update reads like you had to set the country code to the country in which the call is being received, or have I got that wrong. Did that work for international calls?

No that’s not what I was doing. I had a customer in Italy and the modem we used for UK was not working the same, we just had to send the command to change the modem to work for USA (Italy did not work, but I believe because there are multiple phone systems in Italy). So this has nothing to do with international calls. Any call that comes through on the line once setup properly will show, normally international calls will show as international format e.g. +44… or maybe with local dialing prefix like 0044… etc., what shows depends on the telephone company and nothing related to the modem / caller ID device.

Also please note we don’t use that modem anymore, we had issues with supply and newer models had patchy compatibility with the UK. We now use Artech USB Caller ID devices in the UK, we supply them too if you’re interested. They are a lot more stable and don’t need any country specific setup. Right now there isn’t an official integration with SambaPOS but we have modified a method another reseller used to get it working and it works perfectly, I have many clients using it now.

Thanks for the quick response and the link to the CHC application. Unfortunately I’m not implementing any POS solution in my case (I found this forum purely by luck). My project is non-commercial and aimed more towards linux/osx as a platform. Sadly Artech’s AD102 device has no support - as far as I can tell - for linux, or indeed ARM architecture, which has ruled out the Artech devices completely, which is a huge shame as they are indeed highly available and a solid solution.

Artech AD102 does not have a driver on Windows, it just needs an application using its SDK and the DLL (the DLL source code is provided also I am sure). I linked the SDK on that other topic, you can see the post below, that contains some C++ code examples that you should be able to port to linux.

The CHC application is specific for using with SambaPOS, you don’t need that for anything else. If you do a proper integration with the SDK it will work much better and you’ll get access to more features. The CHC application just connects to the USB device and converts what it picks up into the same format a modem would send and sends to a designated virtual COM port (and using the linked open source application to create 2x virtual null modem COM ports to send that to SambaPOS).

So I would think you probably can do something with the SDK and failing that you can probably contact the manufacturer they are based in Taiwan: