Cash TOTAL report giving different figure to Work Period Report

Ok, so I’ve just come across something interesting which I’m trying to get my head around. After ending a work period, we go to check work period report to give us a sum of what we made on that day, then I went to look at the “Cash Transaction Report” and I see the cash and credit card accounts to match the work period report amount, but then the TOTAL at the bottom doesn’t. It’s off by like $178.9.

Initially I thought the extra could be the Tax total., but then in work period report the total amount minus tax is the ticket total… the total amount below tax amount is the actual amount which matches the cash transaction account, therefore I came to conclusion that It cannot be the tax extra.

Anyone have an idea about why it’s not matching?

Here’s the work period report screenshot

Below is the cash transaction Report

The report

You might have another Payment Account other than Cash and CC?

1 Like

The other payment account is only Voucher- which after looking at all sales in the database and in the account and ticket sections, I can’t see anything relating to other accounts.hmmm

EDIT:
here is the screenshot below of accounts page.

They don’t use vouchers, so it’s not really in use.

So I tried to look at the database again, and edited account entity page to view each payment account seperately to get a better reading, but It still does not show anything out of the ordinary. Doesn’t show anything that isn’t supposed to be there, I was wondering if clearing the database transactions could give me a better insight. Any thoughts?

Pm me a backup of your db. I can take a look.

Pm’d you buddy. Please confirm

I got it. I’ll look at it in morning. I need to sleep right now.

Ok so first we need to understand how the report is getting its numbers.

The Work Period report is using:

>Total|{REPORT PAYMENT DETAILS:P.Amount.Sum:Payment.Amount > 0} 

The Cash Transactions report is using:

{ACCOUNT TOTAL:Payment Accounts}

So what this means is you have a running balance from somewhere at some point. We can spend a year trying to find out where the running balance came from or we can just fix it. To fix it you need to create an Account Type and an Account called Corrections and use it to make your balance in your Payment accounts equal 0. So transfer everything from your Cash and your Credit accounts into your Corrections account.

I will test that now for you first.

1 Like

Ok accounts are corrected lets see what happens next.

And here is what we find now:

Your using Customer Cash payment transaction type for your Tax. This explains the missing money lol. You need to create a new Account Transaction Type for your tax and put it in its own account.

The difference your seeing is your Tax but you dont have an account for it so its just floating out there in your receivables account.

Receivables should have zero balance.

So to sum it up your missing cash is your GST Tax that is going into receivables as a Customer Cash Payment transaction.

2 Likes

All those Customer Cash Payment lines are your tax.

As you can see the Cash Transaction report where it uses {ACCOUNT TOTAL:Payment Accounts} your positive balance in Receivables is skewing it.

An example of how it could look if you setup your accounts correctly for your taxes.

1 Like

1 Like

Wow haha that’s news to me. I knew it had something to do with tax but didn’t expect it to be what you found. So first I have to correct it before I create the new tax account , correct?

Yes you should do that to start fresh so your accounting will be accurate from this point forward.

if my taxez are included can i put in rate -10.00?

Why would you want to put a negative tax rate? That makes no sense.

No, you change the option to specify prices include taxs…
Its a ticket type option from memory.

2 Likes

Yes your right maybe that is what he was asking. Its hard to really understand. Very vague questions in old posts is not a good idea. Be detailed with your questions and try not to resurrect old posts unless you are contributing to them.

This post was from more than 3 years ago.