Change the price of a modifier basde on portion

Hi, I’m setting up SambaPOS v5 to work in a pizza shop.

I have setup all of the pizza’s as products and each has a small, medium and large portion.

I also have order tags which modify the cost of the pizza based on extra (i.e extra cheese, salami, etc).
Most of the extra’s are a standard cost based on the size.

I.e if it’s a small pizza it’s 50c extra per modifier (so extra cheese and salami would be $1 extra).
if it’s a medium pizza, it’s $1 extra (so extra cheese and salami would be $2 extra total).
and so on…

I would like the samba to change the price of the modifiers on a given pizza to align to the size of the pizza. So the default would be a small pizza and extra’s would be 50c each. But if the user changes this to a medium pizza, all modifiers applied should be $1 each.

I’ve tried to setup a rule and and action to update the price of the order tag based on a change of portion.
But I can’t seem to get it to do what I want it to do…

I’ve looked through the “Discount using order tag” forum entry but simply couldn’t get it to apply to what I wanted to do.
Please see screen shots of my config below. Any help on getting this to work would be greatly appreciated.

Do you not need to specify a tag name in the update tag action so that it knows which tag to change?

1 Like

Hi JTR,

I thought I had done that by selecting the “Pizza Extras” Tag Name. Is that not correct ?

Sorry, meant the tag itself, cheese, ham etc.

1 Like

How would I do that mate ? Would that mean I’d need to have a rule for every order tag ?

Tag value field I guess.
I’m not saying that it’s 100% the answer but try setting it to one and see if it works after.

Your issue is changing portion but is portion not the first thing you set?

You can map tags to specific portions…

If it’s that you can select tags before portion have a look at the ask question portion prompt to prompt for portion straight away on order adding.

I think we can find a better solution for you. Let me look at a few things I will get back to you.

Here is one solution:

Create 3 Order Tag Groups:

Set pricing for extra’s in each group according to portion.

Set mapping for each group to corresponding portion:

Thanks very much for that!

If that solution is not good enough let me know. It does require you to choose Extra toppings again.

That option means that I have to maintain 3 different order tag lists for the same thing. Which is not ideal, but it’s a suitable workaround.

If there is a cleaner way of doing it, please let me know, otherwise I’ll implemented as suggested.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

If we can figure out a way to loop order tags in the update order tag price action we could use that but I have not figured that out yet. @emre any idea?

I was going to suggest the same thing: use multiple Tag Groups. Yes, you need to maintain all of them, but that is the “proper” way to handle this in SambaPOS.

That said, we could probably find a way to do it programmatically as well, but it would still require some maintenance, especially if your Tag Prices are not all the same. What I mean by that is, for example, take your “Medium” prices… if all Tags in the Group are 3.00 then it makes it simple. But if some Tags are different (ie. Cheese=3, Onion=1, Pepperoni=5, etc), then you need to manage each Tag individually on a one-off basis…That over-complicates things, because you are basically managing individual Tags using very specific Automation (Rules/Constraints).

So really, the method presented by @Jesse is the most efficient way to handle this.

3 Likes

You could also clone the one and just wizz through changing the prices which would speed up the process of setting them up in the first place :slight_smile:

1 Like

this is exactly what i have ended up doing. Thanks very much for everyone’s help!