Clients not connecting to server

Add the database name into the string just encase… I have always specified so not sure on what happens if not…

Database name us on string on client

Did you setup the named pipes bit on tutorial? I missed that first time round…

Id reconmend installing SQL Manager on one of the terminals and trying to connect with that to limit variables.

##Allow Remote Connections

##SQL Server Service MUST be running

If you don’t see this Service, you might have installed SQL LocalDB which runs as a Process that you can see in Task Manager. LocalDB allows only 1 connection, and does not work with multi-terminal setups.

##SQL Server Express in the Task Manager

That’s just like mine mate,

Not appearing in processes

What are the descriptions?
SSMS.exe desc starts SQL Serv…

Sorry that’s management studio

You should probably click the button that says Show processes from all users in the Task Manager.

And check Windows Services to ensure the SQL Server Service is installed and running.

##SQL Server Configuration Manager

Do you have this Tool on the Server? It might have a different filename and location depending on your SQL version (ie. SQLServerManager12.msc)

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\SQLServerManager13.msc

Looks the same

Port should probably not be 8080. It should be 1433.

Expand SQL Server Network Configuration and show what is in there for TCP/IP settings.

ok I’ve changed that

Show the IP Addresses tab of that dialog. We are looking for IP/Port information.

Check the image below …

And you still have not shown the Services applet to verify SQL Server service is running.

Also, did you verify the Network Type on all your machines to ensure they are Private/Work/Home and not Public?

1 Like

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but we have had the morning from hell!!!

OK so last night I changed the ip address of the server to static (it was dynamic) and no luck even when I changed the string on the client to reflect this, I then deleted the /programdata/sambapos4 folder containing the settings file, rebooted the client and voila it connected to sambapos (yay) automatically using the old \dell string without me having to input any new settings. I changed the string to reflect the static address so it now says 192.168.1.31 etc and it’s connecting fine. I then went to another client, changed the string and no good so I deleted the \programdata\sambapos4 folder and reloaded and that now works. I changed the message server to the ip address and it connects ok as well.

Looks like it is sorted but god knows exactly what the issue was and what caused it to change, probably a combination of a few things and the steps you detailed above fixed them all. I am very thankful to you two for all the help in getting this sorted, hopefully for good :slight_smile:

1 Like