Clients not connecting to server

Hi Folks,

I am having issues connecting to the server from the client machines on V4

I have been using SambaPos for a year and no real issues but yesterday I put a new printer on the server machine a POS80 auto cutter and used the “have disk” to install it, all was fine yesterday PM but this morning none of the client machines will connect to the server, you just get the connection string.
I have looked in services and all are running, I restarted them and the machine just in case. The server machine connects using the same string ok. I have checked the firewall is off.

This is a live site so any help is appreciated.

Regards

Nick

Forgot to say I can ping the computer no problem and view it on network explorer

Try turning off the Firewall. I have seen Firewall Incoming Rules disappear in the past and you may need to recreate them if you are able to connect when Firewall is off.

Post log content from [Documents]\SambaPOS4\log.txt

Show screenshot of Connection String from one of the Clients.

[Exception Info 1]

Top-level Exception
Type: System.Data.ProviderIncompatibleException
Message: An error occurred while getting provider information from the database. This can be caused by Entity Framework using an incorrect connection string. Check the inner exceptions for details and ensure that the connection string is correct.
Source: EntityFramework
Stack Trace: at System.Data.Entity.ModelConfiguration.Utilities.DbProviderServicesExtensions.GetProviderManifestTokenChecked(DbProviderServices providerServices, DbConnection connection)
at System.Data.Entity.ModelConfiguration.Utilities.DbConnectionExtensions.GetProviderInfo(DbConnection connection, DbProviderManifest& providerManifest)
at System.Data.Entity.DbModelBuilder.Build(DbConnection providerConnection)
at System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalContext.CreateModel(LazyInternalContext internalContext)
at System.Data.Entity.Internal.RetryLazy`2.GetValue(TInput input)
at System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalContext.InitializeContext()
at System.Data.Entity.Internal.InternalContext.ForceOSpaceLoadingForKnownEntityTypes()
at System.Data.Entity.DbContext.System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.IObjectContextAdapter.get_ObjectContext()
at Samba.Infrastructure.Data.SqlData.EFWorkspace…ctor(CommonDbContext context)
at Samba.Persistance.Data.WorkspaceFactory.Create()
at Samba.Presentation.Services.Common.DataGeneration.DataCreationService…ctor()
at Samba.Presentation.Bootstrapper.InitializeShell()

Inner Exception 1
Type: System.Data.ProviderIncompatibleException
Message: The provider did not return a ProviderManifestToken string.
Source: System.Data.Entity
Stack Trace: at System.Data.Common.DbProviderServices.GetProviderManifestToken(DbConnection connection)
at System.Data.Entity.ModelConfiguration.Utilities.DbProviderServicesExtensions.GetProviderManifestTokenChecked(DbProviderServices providerServices, DbConnection connection)

Inner Exception 2
Type: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException
Message: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
Source: .Net SqlClient Data Provider
Stack Trace: at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds…ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions, SessionData reconnectSessionData, DbConnectionPool pool, String accessToken, Boolean applyTransientFaultHandling)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject, DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, UInt32 waitForMultipleObjectsTimeout, Boolean allowCreate, Boolean onlyOneCheckConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource1 retry) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource1 retry)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlProviderServices.UsingConnection(SqlConnection sqlConnection, Action1 act) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlProviderServices.UsingMasterConnection(SqlConnection sqlConnection, Action1 act)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlProviderServices.GetDbProviderManifestToken(DbConnection connection)
at System.Data.Common.DbProviderServices.GetProviderManifestToken(DbConnection connection)

[Assembly Info]

PresentationFramework, Version=4.0.0.0
System.Xaml, Version=4.0.0.0
Microsoft.Practices.Prism.MefExtensions, Version=4.0.0.0
mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0
System, Version=4.0.0.0
WindowsBase, Version=4.0.0.0
System.Configuration, Version=4.0.0.0
Samba.Services, Version=1.0.0.0
Samba.Presentation.Services, Version=1.0.0.0
Samba.Presentation.Common, Version=1.0.0.0
Samba.Domain, Version=1.0.0.0
PresentationCore, Version=4.0.0.0
DevExpress.Xpf.Core.v14.1, Version=14.1.6.0
Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation, Version=1.0.0.0
Samba.Infrastructure, Version=1.0.0.0
Microsoft.Practices.Prism, Version=4.0.0.0
System.ComponentModel.Composition, Version=4.0.0.0
System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0
Samba.Localization, Version=1.0.0.0
FastButton, Version=1.0.0.0

[System Info]

Operating System
-Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
–CodeSet = 1252
–CSDVersion = Service Pack 1
–CurrentTimeZone = 60
–FreePhysicalMemory = 1063808
–OSArchitecture = 64-bit
–OSLanguage = 1033
–ServicePackMajorVersion = 1
–ServicePackMinorVersion = 0
–Version = 6.1.7601

Machine
-SHAKEAMDSNACK
–Manufacturer = LENOVO
–Model = 6137DV9
–TotalPhysicalMemory = 3723673600
–UserName = ShakeamdSnack\SNS

######################### E N D #########################

The string is the same as on the server and that connects ok (although we had to restart it)

Is that the log from the server? Or from a Client?

Anyway, this part gives a hint:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Try to ping DELL by it’s name instead of IP to ensure Name Resolution is working:

ping dell

Use SSMS on the Server to verify that the server\instance properties have Allow Remote Connections checked.

Try changing the Connection String to use the IP instead of the Name.

Did you try disabling the Windows Firewall?

Verify that your Network Connections properties for all machines are set to Private/Work/Home and not Public.

It pings Dell fine

firewall is off

SSMS?

You dont seem to have specified a database name?

These are from the server which connects no problem

When you say firewall off you mean on server right?
Do you have SQL Manager on the terminal/client to test connection?

On server yes, I don’t have management on the client.

You based in the cotswolds, fancy a job lol because I’m struggling.
I’m doing a system restore to before I installed the printer to see if it’s that

Well that’s a no, still not working

Doubt printer would effect.
DELL is quite a unspecific computer name… You dont have another machine called DELL do you?
Try using the server IP in place of hostname ie 192.168.1.100\SQLEXPRESS

Do you have other terminals or just server and that one thats not connectng? ie are other terminals connecting?

No other Dell and they were all working fine yesterday.

I have noticed that sqlserver does not appear in the list of running services, sqlwriter and sqlbrowser do but no server, is that a problem

Server connects using string OK, three terminals won’t connect using same string

On the server??
If the server can get database locally then the service should be running…