Google Chrome Extensions

So I am thinking heavily about using Chrome. I have used Firefox for years now but I really like the direction Google is going. All that said what extensions do you guys use regularly? Anything you recommend? Should I even bother with extensions?

Bookmark Saving (testing instead of pocket)
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/spaces/mddphfbicdnihfelkdldokplanidjhnl?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog
Google spaces is a new service to setup small private social networks.

Scripting

I started using this after chrome stops scripting support but I’m not sure if it is safe or not.

Ad blocker.

I recommend this.

2 Likes

I too was devout Firefox user until this year when switched to crome although still use firefox as have all regularly used extensions like firebug which is great when web dev although sure there is similar for crome.
Its still handy to have a seccond browser when working on websites to be able to have two sessions/logins on same site etc.

1 Like

How about the built in Chrome Developer Tools (i.e. Inspect Element). Does it not do everything firebug does? What’s missing?

2 Likes

Its just force of habit using familier old tool, sure you know how it is.
Still use firefox as when working with joomla and setting access levels to menus etc its handy to be able to have two seperate browsers with two cookie sessions to easily see two user levels visible modules without logging in and out again :slight_smile:

I haven’t used firebug for years as just use Chrome for everything, Firefox only for UI testing (along with beloved IE :stuck_out_tongue:).

In Chrome I do this just by using Incognito mode (i.e. private browsing) for the 2nd session. Not sure if that’s same as you’re doing with Firefox but it works. Of course nothing saved afterwards for the Incognito session but works fine for testing. It also saves hassle of deleting cookies / history if you want to see non cached changes.

Thats a ingenious idea, never thought of that, will try next time, can see how that would do the job :wink:

Yeah it works well for doing any web development. I pretty much always use Incognito mode for checking front end changes and only using normal mode for logging into the site admin. If you want to clear cache, you just close all incognito mode windows then open them again, no need to restart browser even.

1 Like

I have been using Chrome since Discourse broke Firefox copy/paste/upload. It has since been fixed, but for some reason I stuck with Chrome. I use both now, but mostly Chrome - no idea why… I think maybe it performs faster.

My defacto plugin in any browser is AdBlock Plus. Nothing else.

Firebug… I don’t really understand what it provides more than what is already available. Both Firefox and Chrome have built-in Dev Tools, and they all work in a similar fashion.

I have 1 MAJOR complaint regarding Chrome, and for the life of me cannot figure out why they do not have this feature, which has been in Firefox since the dawn of time:

• Do NOT load Tabs until selected

There are some plugins for Chrome that make half-ass attempts to replicate the behavior, but not a single one of them that I have tried does it simply or properly.

• OneTab - nope, this is just a glorified bookmark manager
  • Great Suspender - nope, does not prevent load, just suspends Tabs after x minutes
  • FooTab - nope, used to “sort of” work, now it does not

Seriously, it should be a standard feature.

1 Like

Haha I noticed that too.

It might not be that big of a deal for some people, but if you have limited bandwidth and throughput, it is a must. Not to mention the heavy load when Chrome launches and you have 15+ Tabs. It just makes sense, but as usual, they did not consult me when they decided in all their wisdom to leave out such a simple feature that nearly everyone wants. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

One other reason I still use firefox is chrome doesnt seem to support Microsoft Silverlight which is needed for Sky Streaming & NowTV