Help creating sub menus on POS

Hi I’m new here and this is my first post, I’ve spent the last few days reading tons and tons of stuff before I actually start designing my POS.

Anyway one thing I haven’t came across (other than one post which had a confusing solution) was how to create sub menus.

For example a customer wants to order a coke, so I want to be able to hit ‘drinks>soft drinks>coke (regular/diet/zero).

This is the only thing I don’t really like about samba UI, from all the screenshots I’ve seen the list of things to select is huge (alcohol/hot food/cold food/soft drinks etc). Where as you should be able to use a branch menu system.

I played about in edit category product but it seemed you had to create ‘soft drinks’ as an actual product rather than a sub menu?

You can create sub menus. And then for the type of drink you can use order tags for regular, zero, diet etc. I can’t show you right now but later this evening I can.

Submenu is defined when editing menu products. It’s called submenu header if I remember correctly.

Wine is a good example or spirits.
You will see most have a wine or spirit category.
On the menu you add all products in that category then you select edit category products properties and set submenu name in the submenu column. This then gives you sub menus.
The wines example on my setups I would usually then use portions for sizes and select the autoselect option in that edit cat product props which to ring in a large Merlot would mean;
Wine (category), red (submenu) then Merlot which would ad a Merlot order but because of the autoselect option it would be selected on ticket screen causing the order selection screen showing portions and tags.
If using tags this autoselect option is also usefull where tags are required or you want the options to show by default.

1 Like

Excellent I understand it now, thanks!

@Jesse

I’ve got the basics now thanks to JTR but I’m still interested to know more about order tags when you get time.

1 Like

Order tags would often be refereed to as modifiers by some other systems.
They can become complex but simple implementation examples would be;
Order -> Burger $10
Order Tag -> +Chips +$2
Order Tag -> +Drink +$2
These are addon type tags adding value
Other examples are priceless modifiers such as;
‘No Chips’, No Gravy’, ‘Extra Salad’ etc.
Also things like cooking preferences and alergies etc

You can also allow free tag which allows typing of custom tags.

You can set max/min quantities of specific tag groups and individual tags themselves.
An example for this on our local setup is ice cream flavours. An order of ice cream is available in portions of 2 or 3 scoops.
We have two order tag groups one for 2 and one for 3 scoop portions.
All the flavours are listed and max and min is set to 2/3 accordingly.
This will forse the selection of the qty of flavour choices acording to portion. That could be 3x vanilla or maybe 1x vanila, 1x vhocolate, 1x strawberry.

Order tags can be used to both add and subtract value.

You can set prefix ‘selectors’ also.
We have a general ‘modifiers’ group which has prefixs of ‘No’, Extra’, ‘Double’ etc
Then the tags themselves a list of common requests like salad, gravey, tomato, etc etc
In combination it gives quick ability to set tags such as;

Burger

• No Onions
  • No Mustard
  • Extra Bacon
  • Double Cheese

Other scenarios can be customisation for say pizzas. Sometimes its might work to say rather than have a hawian pizza product you could have a Margarita pizza base product and for pizza toppings obviously include Ham and Pineapple.
Then on menu you can add a Margarita product, Set its Name/Header as Hawian and set the menu item properties to preselect Ham and Pineapple order tags.
This would then mean the button labels hawian would add;

1x Margarita Base

• Ham
  • Pineapple

Maybe not the best example but gives the idea.

Order tags really come to power when used with kitchen printer/display. If your kitchen get written tickets and till is just for money/values then tags without values dont have a huge impact on flow/performance of the system. On the flip, a good tag setup with a kitchen printer can be very powerful when implimented well.

Great breakdown thanks!

So what kendash was getting at I could simply have a button for coke then an order tag which would allow me to select what type of coke?

Order tags will come in very handy now I know how it works, I’ve done exactly what you said with the pizza example on another POS I have in a different business. It’s imperative because at least half the people who order a pizza want to alter toppings.

It would depend on your desired flow/structure.
Personally I treat coke/diet as separate products.

Yes I’ve just done the same, as separate products. In the end I followed the multiple menu tutorial and now ‘bar’ has its own menu screen, rather than trying to put everything in one space, works so much better I think. Awesome to play about on this once you get the hang of it!