How to account for chicken wings in inventory and portion selling

Hi all.
Thank-you samba team for the good work you have done in sambapos. I am a month old on this forum and i am trying to catch up with you guys.At the moment i am evaluating inventory items and recipe in relation to product items.
I have a general question on inventory tracking.I want to install samba pos to run our family restaurant.The restaurant is in a food court and has only 3 product items namely chips,chicken wings (served in portions) and sodas.
Raw chips are supplied by supplier A in packages,a package weighs 10kg or 20kg
Raw chicken wings are supplied by supplier B in package weighing 10kg or 20kg.
We just prepare the chicken wings by adding some recipes and serve them in portion of 8pcs,10pcs or 12pcs, prices are 400,500 or 600 respectively .All portions are served with a plate of chips at no extra cost ,however if you want more chips you pay for the extra plate ordered at 100.
Now the questions are
1.how do i set up the raw chicken wings as inventory item and recipe to account for my stock
2.Setting up chicken wing product item and choosing the portion ordered
3.How do i set up raw chips as inventory item

I know they are so many many tutorials about order tags and inventory of which i have gone through but i want to confirm what i am doing is the right process for doing this.
Your assistance will be of great help

Create a new product and define pcs’s as portions.

Create a new order tag. Define Max Selected Items parameter for Extra Wings.

Define Extra Wings order tag. Also define a max quantity here.

Map it to Chicken Wings product.

Add this product to a menu and enable Auto Select .

Create a new Inventory Item.

Create separate recipes for 8pcs, 10pcs and 12 pcs portions.

I assumed single chicken wing weighs 25 gr. So for base 8pcs it deducts 200 gr and for each Extra Wing it deducts +25 gr. You’ll update numbers accordingly.

So recipe for 10 pcs will be something like that.

Lets see how it works.

I’ve purchased 20 KG pack for 10.000

KG Cost becomes 500 and as I’ve configured Transaction unit as KG I have 20 KG Chicken Wings in my inventory.

I sold 15 wings by choosing 12 as base portion and clicking Extra wings button 3 times.

As single wing weighs 25 gr it should deduct 15 * 25 = 375 gr from inventory.

A chicken wing may not always weigh 25 gr in so your inventory numbers may slightly differ from your physical inventory. You can solve that by periodically counting your inventory and update end of day records.

When you want to update… After ending a work period edit last created End of Day record and update numbers.

For example you have 19 kgs chicken wings left on hand but our inventory shown as 19.63. You’ll correct it by updating current inventory column.

SambaPOS will distribute difference to the portion costs.

This is not a real life example but I’m doing this to show you the difference. You’ll remember we sold 1 chicken wings. As I’ve decreased inventory to 19 KGs SambaPOS reflects 1KG chicken wings cost to the portion…

1 Like

Hi emre? That so kind of you brother,at the moment I am out of the office but I will compare what you’re done and mine and get back to you soonest.kind regards

There are several ways to do inventory but the one he suggested is the most common. I recommend you implement that then do some testing get familiar with how it works then try out other things and experiment with it.

no extra wings are served,it should be extra plate of chips

Again thank you Emre, kendash and the whole sambapos team.
On the above topic i wanted Emre to demonstrate to us various requirements in sambapos. The essence being that we can compare how we are implementing sambapos and how its supposed to be done.
Emre has been able to demonstrate

Adding product items on sambapos
Portioning items
How to use order tags on items
Adding inventory items and mapping
Creating recipes and mapping with products
Demonstrating inventory on respective warehouse.

However there is this part of condiments he has left out.
Chicken wings are served with chips[quote=“muthoga, post:1, topic:8848”]
All portions are served with a plate of chips at no extra cost ,however if you want more chips you pay for the extra plate ordered at 100.
[/quote]
Kindly demonstrate to us this part and show us how the extra plate ordered will affect the stock.
Thankyou

Hi Emre,
while adding the inventory item,in this case the chicken wings, why did you decide to use your base unit as Grammes rather than pieces?
Which criteria do you use to determine the multiplier,in this case i know 1kg is equal to 1000 grms.
Assume you used pieces as your base unit and kgs as your transaction unit, bearing in mind that all chicken wings do not have same weight,What will be the multiplier?
You also didn’t set the default cost for the base unit and transaction unit?
thankyou

@emre

I am waiting your replies on above post

Do you know? When you do that nobody will answer your question until I do. There is no need to mention people to answer your question. We’ll answer as soon as we see it. In fact our members who actually runs a restaurant gives better answers for these kind of questions as they have better real life experience than me.

I wanted to demonstrate a simple case based on your explanation to let you understand the general idea. This is not the only way to implement that. Depending on your needs you can use separate portions and recipes or use order tags for each piece selection. There might be other solutions as well based on your preference or how you run your business. So you’ll change this sample for your needs. For example you can type “extra chips” instead of “extra wings” and map it to related inventory item inside recipe. You can find more info about order tags here.

Because you’re buying wings in grams but sell in pieces. If there is always certain number of wings in a specific package you can define them in pieces.

Think it like hamburger. We say there is 100gr meat in 1 Hamburger but in production it can’t be always exact 100gr. It may be 105 or 94.4. This is an average assumption and as I demonstrated you need to count your inventory periodically to update differences.

2 Likes