How to add tips to ticket

Hi, is it possible to show the tip automatically after create the ticket without the step of click the button. But without disable the button of the tip, for later use if I want to modify the tip before close the ticket? In my country tip is calculated in base of 10% of the bill amount and is added automatically to the ticket.
thanks in advance

Do you want to calculate it with rate and modify the amount manually?

First off, samba is pretty amazing. So far it seems capable of just about everything we are looking to do. However, there is something I can’t quite figure out about the tips.
So I followed the above tutorial, and that works as expected.
But we usually don’t know the tip amount until after the ticket has been paid–and it doesn’t seem to be possible to add the tip amount at this point.
How do other restaurants in America handle this situation?

In our country that generally flows as;

1. Customer requests bill.
  2. Operator prints bill.
  3. Waiter takes printed bill to table.
  4. Customer pays bill and adds tip if he wants.
  5. Waiter takes printed bill and payment (including tips) back to operator.
  6. Operator sets tip amount and settles ticket.

How it works on your venue?

Thanks for the quick reply!

It works similarly in America, however, the tip happens at a different step.

1. Customer requests bill.
  2. Operator prints bill.
  3. Waiter takes printed bill to table.
  4. Customer pays bill (but does not determine the tip)
  5. Waiter takes printed bill and payment back to operator.
  6. Operator settles ticket and prints invoice.
  7. Waiter takes invoice to table.
  8. Customer adds tip on invoice, or leaves a cash tip.
  9. Waiter waits till customer leaves, then retrieves invoice with tip (or cash tip)
  10. The waiter records the tip immediately or at the end of the shift. If the tip is on a credit card, the credit card transaction must be adjusted.

I can think three solutions.

1. Create a section for tip amount under bill so customer can add tip between step 3-4
  2. Do not close ticket automatically after settling ticket. Instead create a specific button to close ticket and display table as empty.
  3. Create a specific ticket type for tips and create additional tickets for tips. So you can record them anytime you want and settle it with related payment type to determine how they paid.

Thanks Emre.

Solution 2 seems pretty good. I think I can figure out how to implement it. Thanks again, and keep up the great work.

@emre I want to record which waiter received each tip. Can I do that?

1 Like

Hi Emre,

I am trying to add credit card over payment as tip. i.e. Bill is 20, customer pays 25 on credit card, tip is 5. This should automatically be added as a tip if the user enters the full amount and hits ‘Credit Card’ on the payment screen. Much like cash payment becomes ‘change due’ except it would show as ‘Tip Amount’ and ‘Change Due’ would be 0.

This would avoid mistakes when the waiter would have to normally calculate the tip themselves and enter it. Often the waiter would go to a table and the customer would just say, make the total 25 (on credit card).

I tried to follow the guide given here but this seems to be for an older version.

In South Africa this is how almost all restuarants work. The waiter keeps their cash tips and credit card tips get deducted from their cash takings (or the restuarant’s own cash if the waiter had none) and paid to them at the end of their shift.

UPDATE: Never mind. I found the answer here!

@ dcarey I would like to know how to do that too! Have you found out yet?

Hi guys,

With this Tip setup I would like some things to be improved but I don’t know how to do it myself

1: it seems that Tips will be printed through the Discount line

[DISCOUNTS]
{CALCULATION NAME} %{CALCULATION AMOUNT}|{CALCULATION TOTAL}

This causes some problems because on the docket it will print e.g.

Discount %10 -5.5
Tip %22 22

How do I get rid of the “%22” on the Tip line?

2: How can I assign a waiter to each Tip for the reports? I know how to display a user on the ticket with {USER NAME} but how to allocation a certain User to a Tip in reports?
Think of it like a little friendly competition for the staff (as long as they do not hassle the guests) for who receives the most and is most liked by the customers.

3: If I add a Tip and then return to the ordering screen it will say at the bottom

Ticket Total:
Tip
Tax Total:

How can I get the Tip text to align with the Ticket Total and Tax Total? and also have a “:” after it ?

4: How do I stop the Tips being added to the Tax at the end of the docket? (It should be included in total but not tax) Is that even possible?

Thanks again for the help in advance!

Try enabling Include Tax setting for tip calculation type.

No, that does not work as its just added to the Total of the Bill with out reference to the Tip i.e. there is not Tip line any more if I tick the “Tax Include” option

Well… OK. So the question is Why Tip line does not appears? Maybe you made a mistake while preparing your printer template. Can you please post a screen shot of your whole printer template?

1.) It seems that Tips will be printed through the Discount line

[DISCOUNTS] {CALCULATION NAME} %{CALCULATION AMOUNT}|{CALCULATION TOTAL}

This causes some problems because on the docket it will print e.g.

Discount %12 -3.72
Tip %99 99

How do I get rid of the “%99” on the Tip line yet still keep the Discount in place? See images below

2.) In this country tips are not taxed. **How do I stop Tips being counted towards tax?** If I enable "Include Tax" setting for tip calculation type the Tip line for some reason will not be printed anymore ...?

3.) How can I get the Tip text to align with the Ticket Total and Tax Total? There is no spacing before it in the setup. See image below

4.) Is it possible to assign a waiter to each Tip for the reports? I know how to display a user on the ticket with {USER NAME} but how to allocation a certain User to a Tip in reports? Think of it like a little friendly competition between the staff and a way of increasing productivity (as long as they do not hassle the guests).

Enable Tax Included setting for Tip Calculation and add [SERVICES] section inside your template.

For example

1 Like

@ Emre Your the BEST !!!

Hello,

@emre Thank you for your tutorial, I’ve implemented it and it’s working well.
I would like to track tips buy user, how can I do it?

I’m thinking about using a product as tips with a tips group code, but do you have a better solution?

2 Likes

Was this question addressed? I am not familiar with creating User Based reports.

I am trying to get the tips to reflect for this user report. Any thoughts on what I need to correct?
I have tips setup as per the tutorials, as a servicing charge transaction under Calculation Type.

Any help would be appreciated.