How to deduct deposit after calculations

Hi all,

would love some guidance on this.

I am trying to add a deposit paid on the receipt, however, this amount needs to be deducted after the service charge calculation and any other final calculations.
(rather than the SC being calculated on the reduced amount, have SC calculated on full amount then deposit paid amount)

Would I create this button in the accounts section and payment types then change the order in the print script?

Can you explain a little more? Maybe show us an example. Is the deposit just a payment on the ticket? Or is it like the reservations setup where there is a deposit item added to the ticket?

Hi Bob,

It’s a deposit for a reservation. (Usually for 10 or more people)

E.g.
10 people pay £100 deposit

The bill on the evening is £500 plus service charge @10% therefore £550 total

If I deduct the deposit into the bill then the total before the service charge calculation will £400
The total being £440

Is there a way to deduct the deposit after the service charge calculation to show on the bill rather than hand writing it? (Which also causes issues for end of day reports)

Tia

Thanks for the explanation, that makes things allot more clear.

Test this before implementing on your production database!

You will need to create a new action:
Samba.Presentation_f2k14endK4

Then you will need to create 2 new rules:

Rule Name: Add Service Calculation to Ticket
Event Name: Order Added to Ticket
Constraints:

{TICKET TYPE} Equals Ticket (or your normal ticket type name, if different)
{TICKET TAG:Reservation Id} Is Not Null <blank>

Action: Service Charge Ticket Calculation

Calculation Formula: [=F((TN('{ORDER DETAILS:O.Price.SUM}')-TN('{ORDER DETAILS:O.Price.SUM:(MN=Deposit)}'))*.1,'0.00')]

Rule Name: Adjust Service Calculation to Ticket
Event Name: Order Cancelled
Constraints:

{TICKET TYPE} Equals Ticket (or your normal ticket type name, if different)
{TICKET TAG:Reservation Id} Is Not Null <blank>

Action: Service Charge Ticket Calculation

Calculation Formula: [=F((TN('{ORDER DETAILS:O.Price.SUM}')-TN('{ORDER DETAILS:O.Price.SUM:(MN=Deposit)}'))*.1,'0.00')]

Wouldnt the deposit be a payment and after service anyway?
Where does the deposit go when paid?
If it goes onto a credit account the deposit part of the ticket would just be a charge to the deposit account canceling out the credit and reducing balance due.

thanks Bob,

I’ll give that a go

Hi JTR at the moment I have it as a sales item right at the top of the bill as a credit prior to food and drinks.
Obviously this isn’t the correct way, more of a last minute work around.

Actually I think I have it wrong.

Instead, try putting a check mark in the plain sum section of the service charge under the ticket calculations.

1 Like

the only thing I don’t have on my options is the reservation ID for the second constraints

if it helps, I simply have a ‘sales’ item button for the deposits called Deposit paid with either -£5 or -£10

Pictures speak a thousand words.

Ok, I was assuming you were using the Configuration Tasks, Reservation Setup. I see you are not.

Now we are back to my original suggestion.

I have it set up that when an item is added or cancelled off the ticket it will auto adjust the service charge. Is that what you were thinking?

Instead of {TICKET TAG:Reservation Id} Is Not Null
use {ENTITY NAME:Tables} Equals Deposits
You will have to type it in the appropriate fields.

And the 2 formulas us change to:
Calculation Formula: [=F((TN('{ORDER DETAILS:O.Price.SUM}')+TN('{ORDER DETAILS:O.Price.SUM:(MN=Deposit paid)}'))*.1,'0.00')]

Try the above things and let me know where we need to make some changes.

I noticed a .-5 behind the Deposit paid. Is that a portion you are using?

Hi Bob,

yes I have used 2 portions for the deposit paid button -£5 and -£10 .

The line (MN=Deposit paid) will that mean it will negate it from the service charge calculation?

therefore, no matter how much deposit paid I enter, the service charge will be calculated on the total food and drinks ordered.

Ideally the bill will look something like this, can only think of doing it in excel to display, hopefully you get the idea.

TIA

Can you show a screen shot of your ticket calculations?
Manage → Tickets → Calculations Type → Discretionary Service Charge.

Thanks for posting the picture.

Yes. The first part of the formula is adding all the item prices together (positive and negative amounts), which would be the ticket total, then the second part we will be subtracting all the menu items that is a “Deposit paid” (the .SUM will add together any amount and if there is more than 1 menu item named “Deposit paid”). Since the Deposit paid is a negative amount it will add the amount back to the first formula. It will look like this:

Menu item 1 $10.00
Menu item 2 + $10.00
Deposit paid + ($ 5.00)
Subtotal 1 $15.00 (First formula amount)
Deposit paid - ($5.00) (Second formula)
Subtotal 2 $20.00
Service Charge * .10
Service Charge amount $2.00
Total: $22.00

My second post is incorrect. I switch the operator to add when I should have left it as subtracting. Also I need to change the report field to a different field to take into account quantities greater than 1.

How are you applying the service charge now?

Do you want it to auto apply when items are added and removed from the ticket? With the ability to adjust/remove the service charge from the settle screen? Do you want the auto apply to be restricted to the Table(s) named Deposits?

Hi Bob,
at the moment I am simply using the calculation type to to do it.

on the payment screen there is a button that toggles service on and off.

would prefer to keep it as a toggle.

thanks

I’ve noticed there is a custom option for calculation method in the calculation type, where would that link to? and would that be where I would put the formula from above.

Sorry for the loads of questions, still learning and finding it’s like a big ball of jumbled strings.

TIA

I believe that only works with scripts (I think I read that on the forum somewhere).

Thanks ok, there is allot to learn.

Did you setup the Deposit paid menu button? Or was that setup for you?

I’m sorry for all the questions. Sometimes I am too quick to come up with a solution to problems when it may not the best solution for a persons problem. The more information I/we have the better I/we can come up with the better solution.

Hi Bob,

I set up the deposit paid as a (negative) sales item.

Happy to answer any questions as long as you’re happy to give guidance.

I’m not sure if you are aware of the Reservation system that available in the Manage → Settings → Configuration Tasks If Reservation Setup is not shown on the list, click the Update Tasks link on the right side. A couple of the main advantages is that it will list all your reservations and it will accept reservation deposits (you will need at least 1 menu item on the ticket). The deposit will be converted over to a Ticket Calculation call Deposit Discount. From there you could apply your Discretionary Service Charge.

![9kJqMydOaR|690x355](upload://pu8nf0YCfyT6EMhhSANsmSRSxkU.png

I suggest trying this out on a non-production computer (not on your main system). If you decide that will work for you, then install it on your main system.

If you do not think the Reservation Setup is something that will work for you, I think I have it figured out on how to setup the Discretionary Service Charge, using your current setup. Let me know, and I will post the steps to create it.