I can't understand the reason, magical Numpad Select

I’ll try to explain the situation.

• I’m using SambaCard, but I have many card level, so I’ll change card for my customer in future which mean Card ID will be changed too.
  • I decide to make a little change in SambaCard Entity Types
    — Entity Type Name: “SambaCard Entity Type”
    — Entity Name is “SambaCard Entity Name”
    — Primary Field Name is “SambaCard Primary” which will be unique for each customer
    — in Custom Field, I added “SambaCard ID” which will be changed when I change card level

Then this is my current Select Action

• Action Type: Change Ticket Entity
  • Can Create Ticket: True
  • Entity Type Name: “SambaCard Entity Type”
  • Entity Name: [:SambaCard Entity Name]
  • Entity Search Value: [:SambaCard ID]
  • Update Null Entity: False

I can’t understand what’s wrong here, because I get this result:
Name: MrA
SambaCard Primary: 111
SambaCard ID: 222
Cell Phone: 0123456788

Name: MrB
SambaCard Primary: 333
SambaCard ID: 444
Cell Phone: 0123456789

When I type into Numpad 111 or 222 or 11 or 22 or 0123456788, I get the result MrA
When I type into Numpad 333 or 444 or 33 or 44 or 0123456789, I get the result MrB

Even the result is better than what I expected, but I’m sure it’s kind of wrong somewhere, because, in the beginning, all I want is type SambaCard ID and I get correct customer, not Cell Phone or SambaCard Primary. May I get an explaination?

Did you try out having a 333 at the beginning of the phone number of MrA?
Which one would be selected first then when you type in 333? Hopefully it would be MrB if that’s where 333 is the Primary field, and not MrA as the first customer that has a 333 in one of its fields…

pipo, when I do it that way, nothing is chosen, when type dupilcated number or similiar number, nothing happen.

You mean, you set it up like this:

Name: MrA
SambaCard Primary: 111
SambaCard ID: 222
Cell Phone: 3333456788

Name: MrB
SambaCard Primary: 333
SambaCard ID: 444
Cell Phone: 0123456789

And then when you type in 333, you don’t get any customer selected?

I think this can bring trouble, I use magnetic strip cards card reader to find customer, if it happens to be like this:

MrA
Primary: 1
Card ID: 222
Cell: 00000000

MrB
Primary: 2
Card ID: 333
Cell: 22212342123

When I read MrA, I’ll get no result. This is hard to happen, but will be a problem.

No, no customer selected if I put 333 the way you showed.

I think my Action’s parameters were wrong. But really, strange results.

For your information,

333 Nothing selected
3333 MrA selected

I see, so the Select customer screen shows all results that have the number in ANY of the fields, and waits for you to select one since there are multiple results. So you have to first check the primary field and select the right one.

That’s a bit of a hassle when you’re swiping cards, although you probably need that behavior when you’re not using cards (like when someone forgot their card, you can still ask for their phone number). If you want to look up customers by phone there would be no way to do that otherwise.

Of course if you choose “1” and “2” as primary card nr, that will be a problem.

If you can choose your ID number format for the magnetic cards, you can just make sure the numbers are long enough, so the number will not be included in any other fields.

@strashy Entity Search Value parameter finds entity by doing partial search across all custom fields and entity name. As you don’t make partial searches I don’t think it will be an issue for you.