Is Windows 10 using a lot of CPU, slowing samba?

Ive had this problem for a while now on 2 tills at one place where I look after the tills. The problem also made things worse because one of the tills was the main printer till, so it would delay the printouts to the kitchen!

The likelihood is, its windows defender scanning your till. Whilst researching, I found a way of disabling it. It is recommended you do have anti-virus software on your tills however Windows Defender sucks up most if not ALL of the CPU. Id recommend looking for another.

press the start button and search for gpedit.msc

On Computer Configuration click ‘Administrative Templates’

‘Windows Components’

‘Windows Defender’

then select ‘Turn Off Windows Defender’

click ‘Enabled’, Apply then OK.

All of a sudden your till no longer gets laggy!

You can thank me later :slight_smile:

Matt

1 Like

Is there another method to disable it? Most “Home” versions of Windows do not have gpedit.msc 

there was a way I read to go into services, and disable it that way. but it just re-enables itself.

The other way is to install another antivirus and windows defender ‘should’ disable itself. AVG is one that is recognised by Windows.

Ive never used Home, but having read loads up on it, it seems thats what to do :slight_smile:

Matt

1 Like

Could just be my computer but windows defender uses very little resources
its smaller footprint than most other anti virus. However I turn off all the auto scan stuff
 In fact windows defender is using 0 resources but I keep it enabled so I can do scheduled scans. I turn off the auto protect and make it scan while my store is closed.

One of my clients tills would freeze for 5+ minutes last week
 it got tedious lol

It’s just my opinion but these pcs shouldn’t be internet facing or allowed to logon To the desktop at all. The registers we have have samba setup as the shell so when they boot they got straight to samba. We also have them blocked from internet access in the hardware firewall we use a fortinet for this as it gives great control and even has a antivirus scanner built into the firewall where it will stop the packets if it senses the signature of the bits to be malicious. It also has category based filtering for website content using SSL inspection. Just my two cents. Server is also allowed internet access but has all the appropriate security policies in place on the fortinet. Also we are running webroot on the server alongside windows defender and it uses little or no resources. Server is headless and is not used unless maintenance needs to be done.

2 Likes

Whilst what you say is true and and in my opinion is a really good way of going about multi terminal setups, not everyone is tech savy to be able to set it up like that unless the resellers do that type of setup when they do the installation on client sites.

For most people, they would just use the most basic and efficient way possible, sometimes ignoring the risks of vulnerability by having internet access on client machines whilst running samba via windows rather than shell.

Some consider savings and efficiency whilst other bigger projects invest a little more time and effort inclusive of security

2 Likes

Windows defender is a great low resource tool. like all antivirus you should control when it scans so you dont get scans at wrong time.

2 Likes

uhh, you’ld think that’s easy right? But this is Windows we’re talking about :slight_smile:

So it was set to my opening times 8am and 5pm - yet, it would still scan for 2 hours in the morning after these times
 so we just came to an executive decision to turn it off lol

Lol people bash windows but maybe its just me
 ive always thought it was the easiest os to configure and use.

Wow takes that long? I dont schedule full scans but once a month or so. quick scans are more than enough
 besides I dont visit anything to get viruses :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep that long, and as the main till was the one that kept running scans sporadically so orders weren’t making it to the kitchen :angry:

Matt