Login using MSR

If I have SS and ES turned on with LF and CR option selected if get;

;1234?

;1234?

;1234?

;1234?

I am pretty confident your output should be:

You need to tell the MSR to strip the Lead Character “;” and the ending character “?” off the output. SambaPOS is expecting a “1234” nothing else I think - correct me if I am wrong @Jesse. All the MSR I have used, have the utility to strip these characters out of any output.

For example my last POS product required a prefix of “%” + 1234 WHEREAS the “%” was intercepted by the POS in the TEXT ENTRY BOX for product as “hey do a Customer Search”. I am absolutely guessing here but at any login screen no extra prefix or suffix is required.

The suffix and prefix are not , in my experience, written to the card but are the result of extra characters added by the MSR to assist any the recipient program to “do something extra”.

Hope this assists you as need to find my bed - late here in Perth…

Those do need to be stripped yes. Samba will attempt to type those in as well.

Thanks @kendash for the clarification, Paul.

@pauln the double line comes from the LF and CR option,
I have tried stripping these but have retried to be sure, I have changed settings to replicate your expected output with just pin and CR return but still no joy.

@Jesse while I agree it would be best practice I do not believe it is completly required/wouldnt work if these were not stripped as the samba login screen seems to only accepts numbers and with the ; and ? you would still only get 4 dots on the pinbox as only takes the numbers. either way have set to strip the SS and ES but still no joy.

I am convinced its this HID or Keyboard emulation thing. in that which ever way my msr are configured the CR carage return does not send a true return/enter key, notpade seems to recognise the CR and drops to next line but dont think it is really emulating the enter key.
Do you know exactly what samba is expecting for login after pin. - obviously you can press the arrow button on samba but you can type the pin and press enter on the keyboard - which is what is puching me to think its the HID issue in that it isnt sending a propper enter key function.

Could it be windows regional settings mistake?

Keyboard emulation should emulate an Enter key press.

If it is a regional issue I think Windows On Screen Keyboard might have similar issue as it also emulates key presses. Can you try with that? Does clicking Enter key on OS Keyboard works on login screen?

Also testing it with Notepad++ might be a good idea as it have a setting to display invisible characters.

Hello good sir,

How much longer on v5 :smile:

@emre

I really don’t think you will get a definite answer. We are still testing it and several core changes that can and probably will break a few things from v4 still are being tested very heavily in production.

Haha okay just thought id ask.

Thanks! :smile:

@kendash

1 Like

@emre In notepad++ i get [CR] on end of each line - see screenshot below;

Exact same code as if i use actual keyboard which works to login.

@Jesse have tried tinkering with regional settings to no avail.

OK. It is hard to say something without working physically with device but I think MSR driver does not emulate a Key Stroke (Enter Key) instead it just appends carriage return character as a text input. These are not the same thing. For example think F10 key. If you want to append a F10 key stroke to the end of scanned value that should be send as a key press emulation as there is no character equivalent for F10.

How would you add a F10 keystroke to the MSR value?
I thought about trying to add an enter/return to the suffix for after track entry as utility has option to add one but couldnt work out what the code would be, google searches sugested /r and [CR] and a few others but didnt work either.`

The reigional thing may have some legs, just been looking up keystokes and if it is sending keystoked if seems that ENTER key is keystroke 13 but looking at US keyboard enter or ‘return’ is 28…

what brand and model MSR?

Zcs90u or zsc90u, not got it in front of me at the moment.

Have just received a sample RFID reader as would be better I think anyway and never realised how cheap they can be, only got cheapest one on eBay and worked first time.
Oddly in notepad++ it only outputs LF rather than CR?!? But works anyway so have ordered 3 more.

first one was right, zcs90u