Low cost Windows 8.1 Tablet and SambaPOS

Great info @JTRTech and @morshed1 as always!
The reason why I asked was on the weekend I went to our local football game (WAFL - AFL) here in Perth and the Bar was setup using Tablets as registers mounted on swivels and they looked really cool. It seems “tablets” as the main sales unit is “the thing” where POS is heading. The old JIVA POS hard glass screen AUD $ 2,500 clunker is dying…

So I did some research on peripherals that work with IPADS and Tablets and stubled across this site:
http://support.vendhq.com/hc/en-us/articles/201379320-What-Hardware-do-I-need-to-use-Vend-on-an-iPad-
http://www.vendhq.com/tour/pos-system
The site is full of Blue Tooth & Wireless peripherals and discusses what can and can’t be done and how using IPADS! Even IPAD splash covers?

If you dig through the FAQ’s you will see @Jesse they talk about as they are CLOUD based what happens if you loose connection (to refer to your last post here), I hope @emre your not upset at listing this site as I feel we can use it as a benchmark to some respect. I personally found the site a treasure trove of information to where I would like to head with POS and hopefully SambaPOS will take us there…
Respectfully Paul.

Tablets will usually have a micro usb port but usually come with an adapter for notmal USB.
If you printer is USB you could use cheaper accessories (printer and cash draw under the counter.
I mean ideally you would want to have the tablet plugged in so that would mean two wires to the tablet but obviously the space saving is huge.
I tried a barcode scanner the other day on an android tablet using RDP and was surprised it worked first time with samba via RDP. Obviously thats an input device rather than a printer which would be easier if samba was local on the tablet.
Using tablets you would obviously still want a more powerful desktop somewhere on the network to host the SQL server.

Received my Dell Venue 8" tablet today.
First impressions, very tidy for £90 :smile:
Samba installed locally runs well.

6 Likes

Well so far am actually really liking the tablet.
Have been an apple fanboy for the last 10 yeas and had iPhone since the first one but having a full OS on a portable… well I’m almost converted…
Having a full desktop on a tablet vs ios on iPad well, yo know what I’m saying.
Windows 8.1 - few qwerks but generally great.
Am quite excited to see how windows 10 goes with portable devices.
Its not quite as fine tuned as ios on the tablet side but relatively early days in full scale retail comparison to ios which is what 8+ years now.
Know windows has done mobile version for years but always more slimmed down versions.
As excited as I am about win 10 I still really hope apple pulls their finger out as their solutions are usually innovative and leaders but at the minute - think windows has the edge in the tablet side.
Especially considering this tablet was only £90!!!

3 Likes

i have been playing with Windows 10 and Sambpos, no issues really. its going to be great on 29th July when final version is released + the free upgrade :smile: . Microsoft got it right with Windows 10, watch out apple i say

1 Like

To be honest Apple was very innovative with the first iphone and the first tablet however they have been off their game for quite a very long time. Their big plus is the HUGE cult like fan support delivered by their genius marketing. I would say they are certainly leaders in marketing… As for innovative many other companies have been doing this the last 5 years including MS. MS has been truly innovative for much longer than Apple but they suffered with identity through Balmer years.

Business adopted apple through the years due to people simply just wanting it… it was definitely not the best solution for business. I for one am glad Microsoft has good clear leadership now and seems to be finally finding its identity. Apple seems to be playing catchup as they integrate last years ideas and technology into their things something they stubbornly refused to do and somehow had people fooled that they were still innovative… lol.

I think its a shame right now that the ecosystem apple enjoys is not available to other great devices which are vastly superior to apple products… but it seems MS is attempting to address that on their own… its really a great strategy.

This sounds like a pro MS anti Apple rant… I am pro consumer… Apple used to make the best phone, not anymore, apple used to make the best tablet… not any more. The days of apple being the leader with innovation are over and they are being extremely stubborn about it. MS has taken a HUGE leap for the consumer with its new CEO. Samsung, the Android behemoth, is even starting to feel the pain since Android and google are not playing nice with consumers as well.

The next couple years will be interesting for sure, I love the position MS seems to be making we will see what the rest of the competition does now.

Something that I think is happening is Apple is slowly going back into its old shell which was a specialty alternative product supported mostly by a very loyal niche crowd.

2 Likes

BTW @JTRTech windows 10 works awesome on tablets. And for the tablets with attachable keyboards its nice being able to take it out of tablet mode even.

1 Like

That’s the main thing I’m loving.
I like apple products, more expencive but generally a very good quality feel, my apple laptops over the years lasted me 3-4 years before I though I needed to upgrade but windows machines seemed to become outdated and slow so quickly.

My main like of iOS and osx was the seemless syncing via icloud. You could do on windows but was not half as simple.

Things are indeed changing, I am even sly chuffed with that dell tablet especially for only £90 (have ordered a couple more for local businesses I know will work well with for table orders etc)

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion.
I joined the apple bandwagon in the early days of their bloom to general people - iphone and iPad were great and updated in the early days were huge but they are beginning to become stagnant with such minimal changes.

I want to see an iPad with a Mac OS equivilent to what you get now with surface etc and win 8/10, if they don’t make that jump this year they will well and truly be left behind.

When you talk about innovation, yes the apple features they bigged up may not have been original but the applied them fantastically and along with their marketing as you say had such huge scope - I am truly disappointed that they are slipping behind.

When they did iphone and ipad everyone was pushing to do the same thing but now it seems they will be on the follow up rather than the lead.

Like you say will be interesting to see what their come back is, it best be good LOL

2 Likes

Thats the thing though. Apple will probably not have a come back they will release another ipad or phone thats got slightly better technical specs running same OS… In their minds and their loyal fans Apple is better no matter what.

Your probably right which is sad.
I may be a fanboy but when I upgrade I want there to be a difference.

For phone I think I’ll stick with iphone as a pocket device iOS simplicity is ideal. Larger devices like iPads, was foot at first but need some major revamping.

Anyone looking for low cost terminals for Sambapos then i would recommend Intel Compute Sticks. Does the job nicely. HDMI monitor and USB hub will be required for keyboard and mouse.

Features

A fully fledged PC that fits in your pocket
Features an Intel Atom Z3735F Quad core 1.33Ghz CPU
Preinstalled with Windows 8.1
Connects into a HDMI port
Supplied with up to 2GB RAM and 32GB storage
802.11bgn WiFi, Bluetooth, MicroSD slot and one USB port

Product Differences
There are two version of the Intel Compute Stick; both are physically the same size. The main difference is that one is supplied with Windows 8.1 32-bit and the other Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-bit. The Windows version also has more RAM - 2GB compared the Linux’s 1GB. Internal storage also differs: Windows has 32GB and Ubuntu has 8GB. Both devices come with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for connectivity, a USB port to connect peripherals, a micro SD card slot for additional storage and McAfee Antivirus Plus for comprehensive protection from Trojans, viruses and spyware. Due to the size of the Compute Sticks they cannot be modified in any way. All components, such as CPU, RAM and internal storage are soldered directly on to the PCB. The only modification that can be made is to add more internal storage by inserting a MicroSD card. It is also recommended to retain the operating systems installed because the Sticks have been designed specifically to work with their pre-installed software.

1 Like

Are you actively running SambaPOS on this device?

1 Like

I’m using 7" Toshiba encore wt7 tablets with windows 8.1 with Sambapos installed locally.
Having some problems wireless signal, when turn on the tablet from sleep mode when try to use Sambapos crash.
Anyway are 4 tablets - 1 terminal pc - 1 server - 4 printers, just waiting to invest in Wireless and Routing and i think gonna be Ok.

I tried to create automation command to Print Work Period Report for each Waiters, not total Report but not successful.
For example:
Work Period Datetime- Datetime
User: XXXXX Total Amount
Settlet XXXXX Total Amount

Just this!
Can anyone help about this?
Thank you

1 Like

That will probably be because the wifi has been disabled while in sleep.
I have found if you wake and give 10-20 seconds before touching anything in samba it will generally reconnect to wifi before samba tried to look for server as no interaction happens.
Its less likely to be signal related as same happens on mine.
If you set static IP for tablet should speed up the reconnection process.
V5 will have a ‘reconnect’ feature which should get round this, reconnecting rather than crashing.

As for your reports I presume you already have custom reports module?

1 Like

@QMcKay, i have testing in a lab environment incouple of week i’m planning to live with it

Yes i know reconnecting time the waiters have not patience with it :smile:!
For custom Reports i’m still using V3, i worked more than 3 weeks to creat entire database with articles, recipes and products.
For reports any solution with V3 or something to add in source code?

v5 will have a reconnect feature so it should try to reconnect when waking from sleep. This will prevent the crash issue hopefully. I have tested it on my tablets and it seems to work well.

You can upgrade to v4 from v3 without losing any of your recipes, products etc.

Hi guys, we run a small family dine-in restaurant and I am
thinking of upgrading our tablets that our waiters use. I would like to move
away from android tablets running RDP (a lot of lagging).

I have found this 8 inch Windows 8.1 tablet at Harvey Norman
for AUD $ 72. What do you guys think? http://www.harveynorman.com.au/unisurf-8-windows-16gb-tablet.html

My only concern is the tablet has only 1 GB of RAM. Would that
be enough to run a local installation of SambaPos with the database being on a
server smoothly?

If you are getting allot of lag with rdp that would suggest to me either very low spec tablets or network issues.
As with rdp all the work is done on the actual computer and rdp client only revering the video/display lag (if only on client and not if on the actual pc if used locally) would usually be be sauce of very poor client or network issue.
If running samba locally I would want to probably spend a bit more on a better spec tablet, as vs rdp processes will be local (plus still need good network).