Low cost Windows 8.1 Tablet and SambaPOS

What better specs were you thinking of? The specs are very similar to Toshiba’s 7inch Encore and HP Stream 8

With RDP lag is usually network related. SQL Express is very low profile and lean. You do not need a beast to run it. But I would look for something with 2-4 gig ram at least.

1 Like

I am looking to buy a low-cost Windows Tablet to use solely as a Kitchen Display.

• 10+ inches should work well - smaller sizes might work, but it might be difficult to read.
  • must run Windows 8.1 or 10 - being a touchable Kitchen Display, the RDP route is not an option.
  • spec-wise, I think 2GB RAM with 32GB SSD/eMMC should be fine - it does not need to run SQL; it just needs to connect to server.
  • option for wired ethernet/dongle would be nice so I wouldn’t need to worry about WiFi.
  • cost less than $200 USD … lower is better since it will just be used as a KD

Looking for comparative suggestions… I have been searching, but it is proving difficult to find a 10+ inch Windows Tablet with 2GB RAM in the $100-200 range.

I know what your thinking but wouldn’t a larger display be more suitable?
You say you want a tablet but I have picked up a few 19" touch screens recently for as little as £70 ebay keeps kicking me to uk prices but hers one for $90, few scratches but is only going in the kitchen.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elo-TouchSystems-19-Touch-Screen-Display-USB-Serial-VGA-/191639913247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c9ea1031f
This would give them a much clearer view from accros the kitchen :smile:

I agree that larger would be better, however, what you have shown is simply a touch monitor; not a computer.

Not sure how a secondary monitor (touch or not) is going to work for an Entity Screen set up as a Kitchen Display. How do I run the POS/Ticket screen and KD display at the same time off the same computer?

I was thinking with a SFF PC to power it :flushed:
Something like this, its got a dent but as said its in kitchen so doesnt have to be pretty.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-780-USFF-Core2Duo-3Ghz-1GB-RAM-0HDD-DVDROM-Bent-Case-Posts-/321349867770?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad1f1d8fa
These USFF machines are what I use on all my terminals.

Dont get me wrong, just a thought that a large screen would probably be more useful in the kitchen :smile:

Right, well I am looking for something small, not a desktop PC … space is very limited, and an inexpensive Win8/10 tablet of 10 or more inches would be the way to go.

I could see maybe a 19" touchscreen with something similar to the Intel Compute Stick working ok, but we soon see the total package costing more than $200 when going that route.

I can’t understand why I am having such a difficult time finding a suitable device.

Fair enough, if 10" is enough and space is tight :wink:

Sure I saw someone review a linx or fusion5 10" a while back…
Something like this

Its in price range… not had one personally though.

Wired ethernet is a fair shout, but think you might struggle on a budget, maybe a usb–>ethernet adapter?

1 Like

Currently out of stock on MS Store, but $130-off, selling for $199 … HP-Pavilion-x2-10-k077nr

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/HP-Pavilion-x2-10-k077nr-Signature-Edition-2-in-1-PC/productID.309725500

Lowest cost 2-in-1 I can find on Amazon - not bad - Acer Aspire Switch 10…

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NGK98GS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Now just shy of $300, but I guess you get what you pay for … Asus T100 …

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FFJ0HUE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A39BYDF46IY6BQ

Now we’re talking. Only $190 for this Asus T100TA Refurb (32GB) …

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Transformer-10-1-inch-Detachable-Keyboard/dp/B00WNEU47U/ref=sr_1_14?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1440870938&sr=1-14

Don’t think many devices use old school touch anymore. My main issue about tech in the kitchen is getting greesy fingers on the screen which I personally think old style (resistive if I can remember which one is which) were less fussy with that type of thing and were more accepting of screen protector/cover.

HI , sorry to bring up an old post. I have recently purchased a linx 10 and have upgraded to windows 10 - I also have a 10" ASUS also running windows 10 . I am having an issue that with the linx once it wakes from sleep any entities (Tables) that have had their status changed by another terminal aren’t updating and I have to restart SAMBAOS in order for it to start interacting with the message server again ( when not updating message server still shows as connected and I definitely have a network connection) I have set wifi to not sleep etc and everything works fine on the ASUS.

I have also tried just turning the screen off rather than sleep - but when doing this the battery doesn’t last the day

I was wondering if you had, had any issues personally with the Linx tablet.

Many Thanks

Rob

I’ve been using these with samba running as a custom shell and the performance is great!.. Had to replace some really old XP machines that were on their last leg. Got these with quad core Pentium 2gigs of RAM and 32gig m.2 ssd. RAM and HDD are also upgradeable. And gigabit nic and wireless built in as well. Great for small spaces!

I tend to have a similar issue on a daily basis as well with my Kitchen Display on an ASUS T100HA. It is always plugged in and never sleeps. It always has the green Connected indication, but the auto-update of the KD stops working, so I need to close the Entity Screen and reopen it repeatedly. Restarting SambaPOS on this device fixes the problem.

In my case, the issue starts when I shutdown SambaPOS on the Server, which I try to do daily after Cashout, so that my DB backup runs on App Ending Event. So when I start SambaPOS on the Server the next day, the KD device needs to have SambaPOS restarted as well before it will update the KD automatically.

It is merely an inconvenience, but in general, I am the only one who knows how to fix the problem. It would be nice if I didn’t need to do this, or instruct my Kitchen workers to do this daily, but so be it.

I have 2 tablets that we use for the waitresses for taking orders at tables. These both are set to sleep after 4 mins. The Asus T100 when woken shows the current correct status of tables on the entity screen where as when the linx is woken nothing is updated or will update until the application is restarted … which is a pain :slight_smile: it’s busy holiday time for us over the next 2 weeks so won’t get much chance to test further . I was just wondering if anyone with the same tablet had had similar issues … I could have had another t100 for the same price as the linx and wish I had now :slight_smile: