Loyalty Points and Accounting

I don’t understand what you are saying here? Can you show a example?

I will study those tutorials, would of searched “Account Transaction Document” and looked for applkications.

@pauln I understand your trying to learn Accounting… but what actual real situation are you trying to solve. I mean what are you wanting to do and why? Its easier to answer those type questions vs trying to answer questions about features.

Look at Transactions for tickets. Settings > Accounts > Transactions

Sure - during training last week I demonstrated the use of “Rewards Points” - Customer Earns Points when they make purchases, Customer can use Points for a free Item.

The first question was nice, so show me the report on the value we have given away? So I set out to record transactions…

Been there many times, see reference to blank record above, but inside ticket means what? If you said inside a Rule - well know what that means.

I would have just used reports to build them the report. Those transactions are already recorded in each ticket.

No actually - I followed emre’s (old) tutorial and the automation command leave a blank transaction? Hence why I am here…

Tutorial referenced from my first post:

I dont understand what blank transaction means because your showing a transaction and its not blank.

I will repost the shot but it is above…

The first transaction shot above is from my call to the Points Sales Transaction Document I created. I fi take this out as it was an add-in it leaves the Flow close to original tutorial. The only mod was a calculation on Points…

OK so its going to be hard to see what your doing here. Why do you feel you need to rework accounting just to give them a report on points? The original tutorial had correct accounting and it was fully capable of being reported on with custom reports.

Yes sure - well if I have blank transactions as a result of when they use their points to get a free product - would there be nothing to print? I should mention nothing is shown on Work Period Report - very first place I checked.

It was not creating a blank transaction until you tried to rework the accounting.

We can modify it to show it. Work Period report by default is not setup for Points system.

It was always creating one - but let me check again. Ok see you post above, that was what I was to try today. The WP at the moment does show States of “Promotion”. Obviously been trying everything last night to get the Document to create 2 transactions so will need to reset back to basics. I would like to do this to see if a blank Transaction is created as it a rule must just reset “Value” to Zero and therefore when Samba closed the ticket is creates a blank.

You dont need to use accounting to gift things. You can use reports to report on it… but using accounting creates a very complex system for no real reason. If you really want to use accounting for this then you should probably create a Loyalty Points Payment Type. Build accounting around that payment type just like you do Customer Payment types. Store the points as accounts just like Customer Accounts.

It would mirror the customer accounts system. You automate adding points into the accounts etc. Basically what your wanting to do is completely different than the tutorial you linked. You want to do something entirely different but it shares a similar name.

Just moved to my ipad, sorry, cleaners in my office.
I thought the gift process would leave a trail to report on but this implementation does not.
I will relook at “use points” rule to see what wipes the value…

“Store the points as…” So you suggesting create a new entity and associated account?

But it does leave a trail to report on.

Yes if I use my new Action - create account transaction document…
Actually not even thought to check the V5 default Gift automation to see what transactions are created!
Will do that also.

No every order with state of Promotion means points were used. We can report on this. We know how many points each item is worth its stored in product tags. We can use that in reports as well. We can build all kinds of reports about it.

I dont understand why your wanting to build accounting for gifted stuff… Are you trying to track Markdowns or something? That can also be done without accounting.

(Back at my desk)
So I get products data - its there, but what data is created from the ticket? It must be my limited knowledge of the DB as I thought it must be the Ticket Transaction which is Blank.

Tracking is all based on “what is the value given away today?” We gave away $200 worth of product through Rewards…

Yes must be dbo.Orders have not looked at the DB so may have been chasing ghosts again. Maybe a blank transaction is required to do the SQL call i.e. Ticket ID…