Menu Item with a comma does not show on Order reports

I noticed today that some items are not showing up on some Order Details reports I was running. I was finally able to narrow it down to each item having a comma in the menu name. I put the commas in as descriptors, and not portions because I don’t have any plans for different portions.

On the 3rd report below, it only lists 1 of the 2 pickles sold. (The counts are correct for the first 2 reports.)

Here is my report:
[Group Sales by Amount:2, 1, 1]
{REPORT ORDER DETAILS:O.ItemGroup,O.ExactTotal.Percent.desc,O.ExactTotal.Sum:(ODI=True)}

Total|{REPORT ORDER DETAILS:O.ExactTotal.Sum:(ODI=True)}

[Group Sales by Quantity:2, 1, 1]
{REPORT ORDER DETAILS:O.ItemGroup,O.Quantity.Percent.desc,O.Quantity.Sum:(ODI=True)}

Total||{REPORT ORDER DETAILS:O.Quantity.Sum:(ODI=True)}

[Sales:5, 2, 2]

Item Name|[N]Qty|[C]Total
@{REPORT ORDER DETAILS:O.MenuItemName,O.ExactTotal.Sum.desc:(ODI=True):{0}:,}
{REPORT ORDER DETAILS:O.MenuItemName,O.Quantity.Sum.desc,O.ExactTotal.Sum.desc:(ODI=True) and O.MenuItemName=“$1”}
{REPORT ORDER DETAILS:’ '+[O.PortionName],O.Quantity.Sum.desc,O.ExactTotal.Sum.desc:(ODI=True) and O.MenuItemName=“$1”:2}

I changed my products lists and menu names to not have any commas in them. It’s now working correctly for sales going forward, but not previous sales. Is there any way to change previous sales in the database?

On a side note, the menu automatically put a linebreak in the menu screen. Not an issue, just thought it was interesting that it did it on it’s own.

Bob

Reports use commas as separators so using them in the product names can give you a “glitch” like this.

I guess you can say this is a price to pay for having such a flexible system. Just avoid using such separators in your product names and you shouldnt have any issues.

It’s inevitable unfortunately.
This has been discussed a while back as you can get similar issue for products that contain ‘and’ also.
I got arround this by using a different style of report.
If your not using portions then it’s even easier as it’s the use of the @ declation for a $1 list that is the cause of the issue.

There are a few solutions.
Change the separator from comma to say pipe ‘|’
Adjust report to list orders and portions as a simple report rather than having product headers and portioned sales tabbed below.

I can post my item sales report later if required.

Yes as they said comma is reserved for specific functions in reports so you can not use comma in menu item name or reports will not work properly.

Thanks ATechAsia, JTRTech & Jesse for the reply.

I glad it was discussed before. I tried to find something on the forum before posting, but obviously I didn’t search long enough. :slightly_smiling_face:

I changed the comma to a hyphen “-”. That seems to working. Out of curiosity, I tried the pipe “|” character. It ended up causing no items to be displayed on the above report (the counts are right).

If you wouldn’t mind showing your report, that would be great. I’m still trying to learn this magnificent beast! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Pipe is also reserved for printer templates and report formatting. It designates spacing and alignment formats. Hyphen should be fine.

Pipe im sure was what emre recommended to me when I raise this issue.

I use this for my item sales now though which doesnt use the prettier tabed portion under bold product line setup which is default, it lists showing portion for each and every product inline rather than skipping ‘normal only’ portion products;

[Sales:4 ,5 ,4 , 2, 2, 2, 2]
{REPORT ORDER DETAILS:M.GroupCode.asc,O.MenuItemName.asc,O.PortionName,O.Price,O.Quantity.Sum.desc,O.Total.Sum.desc:(ODI=True)}

It looks fragmented on screen but on full width a4 it prints fine.

Thanks @JTRTech, for posting the report.