Microsoft SQL Server Installation Problem

Hello everyone. I am trying to install an SQL server for SambaPOS 5. However, the installation fails all the time. I’ve tried to google the answer, but failed.
I am using Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and trying to install SQL Server 2014.

Here are a couple of screen shots:

This is a snippet from the error log:

Detailed results:
Feature: Management Tools - Complete

Feature: Management Tools - Basic

Feature: Reporting Services - Native
Reason for failure: An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.
Next Step: Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
Component name: SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features
Component error code: 0x851A001A
Error description: Wait on the Database Engine recovery handle failed. Check the SQL Server error log for potential causes.
Error help link: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=12.0.2269.0&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4026&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4026

Feature: Database Engine Services
Reason for failure: An error occurred during the setup process of the feature.
Next Step: Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
Component name: SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features
Component error code: 0x851A001A
Error description: Wait on the Database Engine recovery handle failed. Check the SQL Server error log for potential causes.
Error help link: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=12.0.2269.0&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4026&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4026

Did you do this? Just my 2 pence worth.
You may get some advice from someone more experienced with SQL but bear in mind this is an SQL/Microsoft issue rather than a Samba one.

Yes I uninstalled the “Sambapos5” SQL server and tried installing it again.

Is it SQL express? Not that that is going to be the issue…

This is the program SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU . I believe it’s express.

Yes, that is a SQL Express setup file.

What @JTRTech is saying though is to try to not install the Reporting Services component to see if the installation still fails. You don’t need Reporting Services anyway.

Looking at the file name its the advanced install with additional stuff you probably dont need, might be your issue.

@QMcKay beat me to it LOL

Okay I’ll try that heh.

Yes, that is true, and we do recommend you use that setup. But you don’t need to install all of the components therein. You want the Database Engine/Service and the SSMS (Management Studio).

Personally, I do not install Reporting Services (just de-select that feature during installation).

Ok so I will only install:
Database Engine Services
Management Tools - Basic
Management Tools - Complete, and
SQL Client Connectivity SDK.

So I installed it again without the Reporting Services component, but it still failed to install completely.
And yes, I do run the installation as Administrator.

QMcKay might have better option but the link shows a very undescript info on the error, might be worth a try redownloading, maybe a courpt download.
Whats your internet like? Know its a big file.

Very odd. Are you naming the Instance and Instance Id?

Can you show a screenshot of your Services as they pertain to SQL?

The basic error is its having trouble starting the service. This could be a number of issues including some dependencies missing or your Server 2012 configuration not allowing the service for some reason.

It looks like it installed fine but it can’t start it. It has to start it to finish configuration.

I name the instance “sambapos5”

As you can see neither services are running. Your v4 nor your v5 instance is running.

I try to right click them to start, but it doesn’t give me an option to start the service.

Something is wrong it must be missing a dependency or something. Completely uninstall it including your v4 instance, BACKUP FIRST, then reinstall just the v5 instance from scratch and see if that helps.

Just want to make sure… you had SQL Server Agent selected… the service you need to ensure is running is the SQL Server (SAMBAPOS5) service.

So I have to go to

1. Control Panel -> Programs and Features
  2. Click on Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (64-bit)
  3. Click “Remove”
  4. Select and uninstall both “sambapos4” and “sambapos5”

edit:
I get this error when I manually try to start SQL Server Agent (SAMBAPOS5)

Ok, hold on here. You do not need to run 2 Instances, and this might be the root of the issue you’re having.

You can have multiple databases in a single instance. This is why I do not suggest renaming the instance from SQLEXPRESS to SAMBAPOS at all. It confuses people, because many do not understand that the Instance is not the same thing as the Database.

You only need 1 Instance. Look here - I have a single instance called SQLEXPRESS, with 9 Databases…

This Tutorial shows how you can backup your V4 Database, create a V5 Database, and import the V4 data into the V5 Database, all within SambaPOS using the built-in Database Backup Module…

2 Likes