Moving hardware

Hi all,

My hardware is failing and I need to move my SambaPOS v4 data over to a new machine but I have no idea where to start!

I currently have a Windows 7 embedded OS on hardware that is so old it needs replacing.

I have bought a new Windows 7 Pro machine but need help to move all my data to the new machine.

I have read that I just need to reinstall SambaPOS v4 on to the new machine and then move the .sdf data.

The post that suggests the move:

https://sambapos.org/en/content/how-migrate-data-standalone-sambapos

Can someone please let me know if this is all I need to do?

Thanks in advance

Anyone have any experience with this?

Would be appreciated! Thanks

Depends on your database type but generally just making a backup within samba and restoring over sample database on new machine will do the job. The backup module can be temporarily installed for this, it does need a licence for continued use for auto backups etc but for migration like this just disable afterwards.

Thanks for the feedback.

I no longer have access to the old system as it has completely died but I do have access to the raw files.

I pulled all the folders relating to SambaPOS off the old hard drive.

I now need to figure out how to piece it back together on the new hardware

I managed to install the backup module and restore the database, at first I was trying to restore the wrong type as I hadnt installed SQL compact.

Now I just need to add my printers to my new machine and hopefully everything should just work.

Stop. Save yourself a lot of pain and convert the SQL CE database to SQL Express 2016/2017 database …

2 Likes

Is it really that bad?

This isn’t my system, we are just replacing the machine the restaurant runs it on, however if its going to save him hassle in the long run I wouldnt object to spending a bit of time converting the data.

I’ll take a look thanks

Convert it, compact is naff.

1 Like

Yes it really is that bad in fact Microsoft stopped supporting it. It only takes a few minutes to convert. Maybe 30 minutes to install the server.

1 Like