Need help in setting IP printer, particularly Hillpow 80mm in Win 10

I have successfully set the printer to IP 10.1.10.201 and verified it by pinging to the address.

But from there I have no idea how to “link”, “add” whatever it is called to the printer so that Samba knows where to send the ticket in the kitchen.

Since Kandash seems to own HillPOWs, it would be a great help if you can point me to the right direction.

As a note:
I also have successfully installed driver for one of the same model printers to the same computer using USB It is basically working with USB except I did not have the Chinese(compatible) code page setup for it yet which I believe I can solve the issue by copying the setup with a previous one that I did successfully.

You need to install a Windows Printer Driver for it and get it print in Windows, like a Test Page, or print something from Notepad. If you cannot find a native Driver for the Printer Model, you can try Generic Text Driver in Windows.

Once you have a Driver installed and verify it prints a Test Page, then you can set it up in SambaPOS by simply selecting the Printer from the drop-down …

So sad, still having issues.

So Hillpow drivers suck. You can only install a single Hillpow network printer at a time… If you even try to install a second it will just overwrite the first one. To get the network to work you have to install the newer drivers for windows and setup the IP via their drivers… it will only work with that IP and only on that computer… no other computer will be able to detect it.

My testing with them was good because I tested a single printer… when I went live I quickly realized that I couldnt get two to work from same computer no matter what I tried. I sent them back to amazon and bought some Star printers and simply plugged them into the network and they worked… didnt even have to install any drivers.

In this case, at least I can get one computer to work. The computer I want it to work would a Win7 is there something have experience with and tell me something about the procedures?

Well the drivers typically ship with 2 sets… but only 1 set works. You have to select network printer when you start the setup utility. You have to define your IP address as it is detected from your router… I dont have the drivers installed anymore nor do I have the utility installed. I cant remember exactly but I do remember havinjg to specifically set it to network printer and then define the IP address manually.

correct, it has std set and “new set” I used the new set to install but it does not have an option to change the IP. however, there is a tool, I think called printer.com which has an option to set IP and I realized the printer was correctly set to the IP determined 10.1.10.201 by using ping.

My next alternative is to use it as USB printer. Can I have two Hillpow with one computer?

Did you try some of the print functions from that tool?

THe drivers when I tried wouldnt let me install two hillpow printers on single computer. It would just overwrite the printer already installed and it wouldnt let you choose a unique printer name.

I am still struggling with several configuration issue-if I have any progress, I’ll let you know. At this point, I need the Chinese support first which I also run into issue with the new machine I have. I am not able to set the code page right. I read the whole 96 code pages description, there is not one that mention Chinese but I remember, the old one that I made working was not using a code page that has a Chinese compatible hint. Trying 96 possibilities could be a task :frowning:

Update: Now I tried using TEXT printer in Samba, it at least print the Chinese characters.
Also using HTML printer in Samba also shows Chinese characters.

Update: The IP printing issues still lingers but I made a very NON-elegant way to handle the only kitchen printer by using a spare junk laptop and share through it. Anyone using this method, note to make all users are log into the computer with the shared printer.

That doesn’t sound right to me.

You should be able to install the Driver, rename the Printer, add another TCP/IP Port and set the IP and Port to match another Printer on the Network, select the Driver that is already installed, and repeat.

• Install one of the Printers with the Driver.
  • Select the Printer, right-click, select Printer Properties.
  • Go to Port Tab and find the Port that is checked, select it, click Configure Port.
  • Note the Port Properties, such as the Port Name, Port Number, Queue Name, Raw or LPR.
    **NOTE: Raw/9100 or LPR/PASSTHRU are common Port Settings for Network Printers.
  • Close all dialogs.

• Select the Printer (any printer).
  • On the top of the Window, click Print Server Properties.
  • Go to the Port Tab and click Add Port.
  • Select Standard TCP/IP Port, and click New Port…
  • Type the IP Address of your second printer, click next.
    It will search for the printer to find the Port information… if it isn’t found, continue below.
  • Select Custom, click Settings.
  • Set the Port configuration the same as your first Printer, except the IP address.
    **NOTE: Raw/9100 or LPR/PASSTHRU are common Port Settings for Network Printers.

• Click Add Printer.
  • Click Add a Local Printer.
  • Select Use an existing Port, select the TCP/IP Address/ that you previously created, and click Next.
  • Select the Driver that is already installed (or select Generic Text Driver), and click Next.
  • Select Use the Driver that is currently installed (recommended), and click Next.
  • Enter a Name for the Printer, and click Next.
  • Enter Sharing information if you want, and click Next, and click Finish.

1 Like

Yes all of that should work except with these printers once you select the driver it wont find the printer… the only way to get it to work is install the driver again… I even found the driver and pointed directly to it and still nothing.

Possibly good news for Hillpow owners, I have just bought another similar printer called SymCode, the made is obviously from the same company but the driver seems much better. I have been able to install it along with one old Hillpow printer. The new driver seems to know there is another copy of the driver automatically load it as a “copy 1”. So now I can operate two of these generic POS printers on one PC. I assume I can get the driver possibly to run the Hillpow as well which I will test later today.

1 Like

Successfully installed two copies of the Hillpow drivers controlling two Hillpow printers at the same time from one PC!

The key is to change the “target directory” with a different name so that it does not overwrite the old settings with the new driver installed by the installer.

2 Likes

I never could get it to work

Cannot remember the exact procedures, but if you can show some screen shots, I think I recall. I remember in one of the question/options, it ask me the directory, I gave it a new directory on the second setup then the two different will use a different copy of the driver and thus the settings will be seperate.

BTW, I don’t even know where the printers are now, not to mention the drivers. LOL