Need Help to creating Server

Hi, i am trying to connect another pc and a windows tablet to my server. My server operating system is Windows 10 and other PC Operating System is Windows 7. I try my best to follow your instruction founded in this forum but i cant connect other PC when I open Samba in another PC (Win7) it show Database string error. so please tell my is there any issue of different operating system or any other if you can give me exact tutorial link i will try again. and one more thing can use Android Tablet for Samba.

Thanks

Have you tried searching the forum, there are dozens of topics on similar ‘issues’ where people just haven’t searched…

Try after turn off firewall and change setting for tcp post sharing.

This issue will fix.

Sir i done all jobs according to tutorials founded in the form but cant get success so its my thinking may be the issue with different operating system.

Please suggest me a link that was the perfect for it.

Os should be irelevent, it’s an SQL database which is pretty generic between systems.
Have you installed SQL express?
You can’t do multi terminals with included localDB.

1 Like

The OS is irrelevant. Multi-terminal works with systems that are Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. All systems can have a different version of Windows.

Connection problems with multi-terminal are caused by multiple reasons, but the Windows OS version is not one of them.

Android is not a Windows OS, so it will not work. You need to wait for the release of the cross-platform Browser POS that is in development to use SambaPOS on Android and Apple devices. There is no release date for this at this time.

As @JTRTech mentions, multi-terminal does not work with with SQL LocalDB (this is a single-connection DB Engine). You must use full SQL Express for multi-terminal. LocalDB runs as a User Process that you can see in Task Manager and the DB files are often stored in a User Path. LocalDB is listed as an installation component when you install SambaPOS, so if you chose to install it at that time, you are probably running LocalDB, so it will not work with multi-terminal.

Full SQL Express runs as a Windows Service, and DB files are often stored in the Program Files SQL path. It is a separate download and installation. The 2 DB Engine versions are compatible, so you can upgrade LocalDB to Express without losing your data.

You need to:

• ensure you are running SQL Express first.

• show your configuration settings for all Terminals (connection string).

• show your Windows Firewall Configuration (especially the Server machine).

Try this Topic - it is lengthy, but covers things in good detail:

2 Likes

can you explain this error
My string “Data Source…” is 100% right.
this is another pc that i want to attach with my server pc ny homegroup sharing

Verify that SQL Express is running on the following computer and it is configured with the Instance Name:

DESKTOP-SUHKPUH\SAMBAPOS

The server was not found (ie. the computer cannot be found on the Network). Can be caused by incorrect Network Configuration (ie. name-to-IP resolution), and/or Firewall Rules on the Client and/or Server.

The server was not accessible (ie. if the computer can be found, and/or it is not running SQL Express, and/or the Instance Name is incorrect (DESKTOP-SUHKPUH\SAMBAPOS), and/or connections are denied either at the Network-level or the SQL-level). Can be caused by incorrect Network Configuration, and/or Firewall Rules, and/or incorrect SQL Server Configuration (remote connections are disabled, or you are running LocalDB version).

You should use SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) to troubleshoot SQL Express connection and accessibility issues.

Turn off Windows Firewall until you can connect using SSMS.

Try using an IP Address instead of the Computer Name.

I think my installation of samba is with LocalDB after it i install SQL Server 2014. if this is the real issue then what have to do…?

You can use the DB Backup Module in SambaPOS or SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) to “import” your LocalDB file into an Express installation. And in fact, it is not really an import at all. It is simply configuring the SQL Express DB Engine to point to and use your LocalDB .MDF file(s).

It may also be considered to be more simple if you have a .BAK file of the database. This essentially contains the MDF/LDF files within it. If you have a BAK file, it is a backup of the DB. You can use SambaPOS or SSMS to Restore the backup, which will extract the MDF/LDF files for you and “notify” the DB Engine of the existence of the database.

• On the Server, backup the DB and save the DB in a safe, known location. You can use SambaPOS DB Backup Module or SSMS, but you are going to need SSMS eventually, so prefer to use SSMS.

• run SSMS and connect to the DB Engine Instance

• expand Databases folder and locate your DB.

• right-click on your DB, select Tasks, select Backup Database

• choose a location to save the Backup

• Execute the DB Backup (click Ok). This should create a .BAK file in the path you have chosen.

• Uninstall SQL LocalDB (use Add/Remove Programs). This is done to avoid confusion or conflicts.

• Install SQL Express if you have not already done so.

• Run SSMS (you may need to download and install it if you do not have it yet as part of the Express install).

• Connect to the DB Engine Instance using SSMS.

• Restore the DB.

• Right-click on the Databases folder, select Tasks, select Restore Database...

• Browse for the backup file and select it (should be a .BAK file)

• Execute the Restore (click Ok).

i don’t need backup now because i am testing it for my restaurant. so you can guide me as a new installation. and i have SSMS installed in my pc… now what you say i need to uninstall LocalDB from Add/Remove Programs OR any other program to uninstall.

No. Uninstall SQL LocalDB only. This is done to avoid confusion and conflicts and save resources. You don’t need it.

Use SSMS to connect the DB Instance on the Server. Show a screenshot of the Object Explorer on the left, with the Databases folder expanded.

Try to use SSMS on a Client machine to connect to the DB Instance on the Server. If you cannot connect, then you need to troubleshoot the reason. In that case, check the DB Engine on the Server (using SSMS) to ensure that Remote Connections are allowed. You should also set the Engine Configuration to use Mixed-mode Authentication (ie. Windows and SQL Authentication)… it is easier to connect using SQL Auth than Windows Auth (this is also done using SSMS). You also need to check the Firewall on the Server to ensure the proper Ports are open (or disable the Firewall for a quicker check).

NOW. i uninstall everything from my both computers and now i tell you step by step that how i am installing this system

SERVER

1. Install SQL Server Management Studio 2014
  2. Install Samba POS v5 without LocalDB and sample data.
  3. Configure Database from “Setting-Local Setting-Databas”
    and put values my database values (Data Source=NAWAAB-PC\SAMBAPOS5;)

Samba in Server is running OK

Now in AnOther PC

1.Install Samba POS v5 without Local DB and Sample Data
2.Put String Values of Server (Data Source=NAWAAB-PC\SAMBAPOS5;) in Setting-Local Setting-Database

after restart samba get this error

BEFORE THIS

1. Create HomeGroup in Server
  2. Join HomeGroup in second PC
  3. Done “Turn Off password protected sharing” in Advanced Sharing Setting of HomeGroup at both computers.
    4.Turn Off Firewall at both computers
  4. Disable Protection of Microsoft Security Essential
  5. After this i test my networking my copy a picture from server to other pc by From Network path to ensure that my both computers are connected to each other

Now i think you batter understand my work and now you can tell my about my mistakes.

Thanks for giving me your precious time.

Using Windows Authentication is not recommended. You should use SQL Authentication.

On the Server, connect using SSMS.

Right-click the Instance name at the top of the Object Explorer, and select Properties.

Select Security and change it as shown.

Select Connections and change it as shown.

On the Client, change the Connection String to:

Data Source=NAWAAB-PC\SAMBAPOS5; User Id=sa; Password=<yourSApassword>; Database=SambaPOS5

If it does not work, try using SSMS on the Client to connect to the Server when using SQL Authentication. If that does not work, we can go from there.

can you guide me how can i recover my password

sorry i found password let me try

Well, you might not have installed SQL Express using Mixed-mode in the first place. If that is the case, use SSMS to connect using Windows Authentication, and change to Mixed-mode Auth and you will be prompted to supply a password for the sa account.

If you have Mixed-mode Auth enabled already then connect using Windows Auth.

Expand the tree to the Logins folder and double-click the sa Account, and change it as shown, and you can change the password at the same time. Ensure that User must change password at next login is UNchecked.

1 Like