Of server to stand alone

THERE ANY WAY THAT IF THE MAIN MACHINE FAILS , THE OTHER MACHINES THAT ARE CONNECTED IN THE RED KEEP WORKING AS STAND ALONE AND COMMUNICATE cuendo REGREGRESE IS ALL AGAIN AND EARN SALES OF SALES THERE IS A SYSTEM WORKING WELL

Hey, i suggest reposting this with propper english and not all caps, its hard to understand what your trying to ask. If your using a Translator, try just posting the text in your lanaguage as well

1 Like

If your machine that holds the database fails then no the others will not work as stand alone. However that is if your using full Microsoft SQL Server Express and connecting other terminals to it. If your database system fails then your other terminals will not work until the database is back online.

You should backup your database regularly to an external drive that way you can load that backup to another terminal and use it as the server until your main computer can be fixed.

PS. you could have another computer running SQL Server and have it doing regular mirrored backups of the main SQL server and if your main one ever goes down you could simply just change your connection string to connect to backup.

1 Like

You can also have a main PC which holds SQL server, and have all your terminal attach to it, so in case one terminal goes down, then other can still work.

In saying this, if server machine goes down, then you wont have access to database as kendash suggested, therefore having ur individual terminal to do at least each a backup would help, or having a backup system to fall to incase of emergency also helps, as long as its connected to same network and has latest backup of database.

Thank you all , it would be good to put this in the system conosco a system that does, if the server stops working the comanderas machines are still working and accumulating sales and you can make the cuts by machine or wait for return the system and make the accumulated sales , I put it in English and Spanish translators , I hope and I understand

Gracias a todos ,seria bueno poner esto en el sistema conosco un sistema que lo hace , si el servidor deja de trabajar las maquinas comanderas siguen trabajando y acumulando ventas y puedes sacar los cortes por maquina o esperar a que regrese el sistema y hacer el acumulado de venta , lo pongo en ingles y español por los traductores , espero y me entiendan

This is not possible, if the server machine stops working none of the other terminals would be able to connect to the database and therefore would not be able to “create orders/tickets” the ticket is only actually created when it is closed and is then created in the database. This cannot happen if the other terminals cannot connect to the database

There is not a system in place where terminals store all the data locally and then transfer it to the database later, the terminals write to the database immediately when creating tickets etc.

Samba will not work if it cannot connect to the database

Although I do think this is a good idea, if you loose connection to the server samba goes into a standalone mode storing data locally, then when the connection to the server returns all the “standalone” data is transferred to the database. It would mean you could still keep serving and it not affect the operation, but it’s probably more complicated to actually implement that process than I describe it due to other actions and rules requiring data from the database to be able to work

3 Likes

One of the easiest ways to achieve failover of a server is to have the SQL server running in a virtual environment. That way if the main server dies you can restore the machine on another host. If you really want a good free virtual failover cluster solution. Look into xenserver. It has the ability to use shared storage from a iscsi nas and can failover a VM if the main host goes down. Their is even ways to mirror the iscsi devices so you can have many layers of protection. But just two identical PCs and a small nas that both PCs can connect to using iscsi should work fine. Best bet tho is to always do a backup daily.

1 Like

@Jesse any future plans??
This is a really important thing because anything goes wrong with your router, rj45 or cable your whole system would down.