Order Tag buttons directly on menu

I know how to apply custom button then apply a tag via automation if this is what you did :slight_smile: But this would mean that you have to create each individual custom button then create a rule for thst button.

Im just thinking out loud here… what if we could put a column in the edit product properties field for custom product which could either use an order tag value or name to apply order tag or use auto command and rule.

I know auro command is there already. Im just thinking how we could implement it easier then having many rules individual for each order tag custom button

Haha I overcomplicated something that was even simpler lol

My Internet connection not working fine here. I’ll give more details when I get back home.

Shivan ive not tested but from my understanding of how it works. You create custom menu items with names of the order tags and you define an automation command to be fired that uses the same order tag name from within the menu editor. Then you can use [:Automation Command Name] for the tag value. So its just one rule and one action.

You could customize it further by adding a command value to menu editor and can reference that in your action and rule as well. Not sure what you would use it for though.
The tedius part is setting up all those custom menu buttons.

That part i understand and know how to implement. I think i wont be using this often but there have definitely been cases where some clients insisted on such setup. The custom button , action and rule isnt the hard part. Its the having to repeat that task over and over for each individual order tag. Imagine if you had 30-40 tags. Thats 30-40 custom buttons, and rules.

I know how to do this mind you. But i must admit, sambapos is built differently and in my opinion better. Therefore if a customer ever suggest or insists on this… i would charge them higher than a normal rate because they insist of using this method.

I was just trying to brain storm ideas :slight_smile: and in process i lesrnt 2 new things!

No you only need ONE rule and ONE action for all buttons. It’s the buttons that would take a while.

1 Like

As kendash is trying to say you can feed the tag name into the automation command rule as the command value allowing a single rule to catch all ‘add order tag’ automation commands and add the tag dynamicly using the command value passed from the button.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. Yes we need single rule and action. This is how I’ve configured menu buttons. When clicked it triggers “Beverage Options” command with Order Tag Value as the parameter.

This is how rule is configured. It also ensures an order is selected.

This is the action. Nothing special here.

So when we add a new order tag we only need to create a menu button for it.

So I also configured “Beverage Options” order tag group but mapped it to nowhere to prevent it from popping up when order is selected.

3 Likes

@emre Your solution looks good, but how are you selecting the product you add to the ticket?

Also, if you take a look at the numbered points on my original post, how well does it fit with these, as these are the problems I foresee with doing this. I get that for point 3 I can just not map the order tags to those products, but the other points I see as issues I would need to workaround, unless I am missing something? They currently have portion on the coffee products (see screenshot I posted above). Is the only way around this is removing the portions and creating an order tag to handle upgrade to larger sizes? I think this may be more problematic for inventory?

Oh Thanks for clarifying that.

I made it more complicated then it seems lol.

That’s neat. Thanks for sharing.

Auto Select option but dont have any tags mapped to it.

2 Likes

Pretty much all of your points above were answered with auto select except this one. I too would love to have an option to disable this @emre I understand its useful for doing this like canceling multiple orders and disabeling it would render that useless but giving us the option to enable to disable this would be good and allow us to build our own flow.

1 Like

Tagging an order always disables multi selection temporarily for next selection so you can tag orders one by one.

You can disable portion selection for a specific order line by using “Update Order” action. Not tested for this specific setup yet but it may help solving portion selection issue.

Well of course we may not perfectly simulate other POS workflows but in SambaPOS universe it might be possible to improve efficiency by using what we have.

3 Likes

So I would use Update Order action, set Disable Portion Selection to False then use it on Order Added to Ticket event?

Also noticed on your example, you have put the order tag buttons on a new line, how did you do that, is it related to the blank spaces I indicated below?

Can’t see anything in your product properties that is doing that…

EDIT: Is it related to Sort Order?

It could be that button 90 and 100 are hidden and at bottom. Notice he has not scrolled down and caramel is visible indicating there are 2 other buttons.

I think I saw on another post the other day the blank button being created with * in the product Name field and some other fields, but can’t remember seeing that documented anywhere

Typically you can create those by using hidden custom buttons, Rickh did that for his.

EDIT: If you follow @rickh stuff its probably in there. I know he used that feature extensively in his systems… just about all of his screen is custom buttons.

1 Like

@Jesse Saw it here:

1 Like

The screenshot above shows Ricks custom button setup.
A little hard to see but if you look at the right the product name is empty and he just puts the name as “Button 1”(as an example) then he sets the appearance to “Hidden”
So you can just create a custom button and name it * and set appearance to “hidden” causing this to occur.

3 Likes

Yep all you do is create the custom button and then select HIDDEN to hide it and use it as a spacer

You can then delete any name and heading fields they can be left totally blank as you don’t need them

2 Likes