Refund System 2.0

Thats what this discussion is for :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Interesting take on the refund system.

Ok I rebuilt my accounting I will share it now. I am working on the automation now.

I took some of what JTR said and here is how the accounting looks after buying item for 1.50 then refunding it for 1.50 with credit.

Let me know what you think about that?

1 Like

I think it’s better having Refunds under Sales Accounts.

1 Like

Yes you can get a balance from the group.

I am working on the automation. Check this out. Still need to redo a few things like Settle Should not show on Refund Ticket Type and Instead i will probably just make a single button to execute the refund payment based on what original ticket was paid with.

1 Like

I think that’s much cleaner than separate accounts for each and everything.
Intrigued that you often for separate refunds account for debit but didn’t separate payments.
Although thinking about it the sales side makes more sense on separate line if you want - processed as a separate transaction type where payment is still the same payment type but reversed.

The Sales accounts balanced to 0 if you notice. It used two different payment types. I just routed the sale into the cash and credit accounts so they balanced.

I plan to actually make the Refund button trigger the return so you don’t go through payment screen. It can ask if you wish to put it back on card or issue cash refund.

Just wanted to mention a few thoughts, some I know you have already,

A few scenarios I can see here as how a refund is started:

1. Select one or more orders on original ticket, Refund Items > adds orders to refund ticket
  2. Refund Ticket button to refund entire ticket > adds all orders to refund ticket
  3. Start an “empty” refund ticket not linked to original ticket, add orders to refund ticket to do a refund.

Those are the 3 scenarios I can think would cover pretty much any need.

Now, once in the refund ticket, what happens if I add more items to it? Are they taken as further items to refund, or are they added as positive items as “exchange” of the refunded items? And, if in the “exchange” case, how about if they become a positive value then the refund actually turns to a refund of some items and sale of a new item? Not sure entirely how that can be handled, if at all?

I was thinking about this, I think the orders on the original ticket should only be updated once the refund has completed, not sure if this is how you planned it? The refund items may change after creation of the refund ticket. Also, how about if I selected 2 orders > Refund Item, then on the refund ticket I cancel one of the items, the original ticket should reflect that as one of the orders could have been added in error.

1 Like

Yeah I think this is best because the payment screen presents too many other features not related to a refund. Doing this way may also enable better control over how a scenario like this is handled:

Good points I think we can solve them all.

1 Like

This is how my refund system works:

From a fresh, clear accounting and no stock

First i will sell a Bulmers Original (ask its age restricted my prompt appears when adding to ticket)

Paid for by cash

Accounts now show the £4.00 sale as cash

Inventory shows as minus 1 (we started at zero)

Now we use the refund system (this is an ad hoc refund system and not linked to previous tickets)

From options menu select the refund button

The enters Refund Mode

Add the Bulmers Original to add to ticket and select the reason for return, this as added as an order tag

Now select to return the item to inventory or not, YES will add back to inventory, NO will have no effect on inventory levels and the item can be discarded

Next press the refund button to select the refund tender

Select cash as that was the original payment method

after refund is completed the refund system automatical exits and reverts back to the normal sales mode

Now on checking inventory and accounts we should see the £4.00 is deducted from the cash sales line and shows as a cash refund and that inventory has reverted back to zero as the item was added back to stock

@RickH I notice you have changed the default accounting, you have no Recieveables? (actually I am not sure what that is for TBH)

Don’t even remember doing it if I’m honest lol, I don’t use that accounting screen much anyway I just built reports based of it which is all I need

Receivables is standard accounting. Everything goes in there then out to its respectable account.

He may just have it hidden from screen.

Ok I got a little more progress on this I will share it later today. Keep in mind I am doing this with Credit Card integration in mind. I plan to use the US integration as soon as I get my hands on it.

So i managed to sort it using menu switching instead, so item is either returned to inventory or discarded and the refund reason is added as an order tag

just needs some aesthetic changed now lol

2 Likes

@Jesse did you get this finished at all?

Yes sorry been working at food truck in morning and lunch them at my restaurant in evenings barely have time to sleep. When I get time to do it I’ll share it. Sunday hopefully. My only day off lol

3 Likes

Do you mind sharing steps on how to achieve this?