Samba closes when menu item is selected

the .bak file (30mb)? or how do you mean?

Back it up then delete all transactions and run another backup send me the one without transactions. Then just reload yours that has the transactions.

by “delete all transactions” you mean I must use the “clear database” in the Database tools option?

Yes but run a backup first so you dont lose them. The goal is you send me the copy with no transactions it will be smaller. THen you reload your backup that had the transactions.

So backup, run that tool, backup again, send me the new backup then reload your first backup.

EDIT: I dont request backups unless I feel we need to prod too much info out of you. This seems like something that it will be faster for me to just look at your db.

first time for a PM for me, did you get it?

I got it and I think I figured it out. I think it has to do with the item Cordials. I am trying to be sure.

EDIT: Ok it was the item Cordials and apparently it got corrupted. Deleting the item from Samba was not enough I had to delete the row in the table of the database manually.

Do you have MSSMS?

The technical answer, the item deleted fine from Samba but the Price list for that item would not delete it was flagged wrongly as HH and for some reason the price definition would not delete from the database when the item was removed from Samba. Once I deleted the MenuItemPrice for that item out of the database the Price Editor started working.

So here is what you need to do:

1. Remove Cordials from your menu

2. Delete the Cordials Product

3. Run this script in MSSMS after selecting the table dbo.MenuItemPrices

DELETE FROM MenuItemPrices
    WHERE (Id = 518)

So to run the script you open your database in MSSMS go to the table dbo.MenuItemPrices left click it then at top of MSSMS choose New Query just paste that script in and press f5.

When finished you need to remake the product Cordials.

yes i do, not an expert

Aparently you had a price definition called HH but you deleted it… that item was tagged as HH when you deleted it… it retained HH tag even though that price definition was not there. This caused all sorts of havoc lol.

EDIT: Before you do all that let me try something.

OK Please disregard the complicated method above… simply remake the price definition HH then go back to that product and remove HH tag then delete HH price definition. You will not need to delete product or anything.

1 Like

@Jesse, could you possibly just delete the Product Portion (Normal) which contains the price, then save the Product, re-enter it? This would save having to delete the product and alter the DB manually.

1 Like

Possibly that might work too let me try it.

EDIT: no that did not work but remaking HH price definition works.

1 Like

So rule of thumb here is if you have custom price definitions and you have products with prices in those definitions… do not delete the definition first… take the price out then delete it.

I have not tested this in V5 emre might have fixed it… I will test that now.

ok so where do I run the script from here?

Ignore what I said about MSSMS… look at my thread above… just remake Price Definition HH inside SambaPOS.

So go to Products > Price Definitions and make one called HH again. This will let you use Price List editor again.

1 Like

Cool works fine now.

You should be able to delete the definition now. I think I see what you did… you probably did not delete it… you renamed the tag? Did you rename Happy Hour tag from HH to Happy Hour? Well nevermind that theory was wrong… I am trying to reproduce the error.

Cant seem to reproduce it lol. But anyway somehow that item got messed up because of the Definition.

Sorry about the confusing MSSMS method I typically troubleshoot these things from the database first its easier to see it.

works all good…let me ask you a question please,

This all started because I want to create specials and want to use this method with Happy Hour not affecting VIP pricing. But this means every item on your menu must have a D1 or D2 or D3 price discount added, it seems like a huge endeavor, instead I would like to deduct a set % assigned to the customer.

BUT can you implement this system with a dedicated discount per customer? like John gets 30% VIP per bill using this method…

http://sambapos.org/wiki/doku.php/en/custom_package_delivery_system_part_2

But then discounted items do get discount again?

So regular customers must get a discount on every bill, but how to do it so specials don’t affect price?

It is entirely possible to build the system that you describe. The VIP/HH Tutorial is a good place to start. If you make an effort to understand how it works (which is a huge endeavor too, I understand), you will understand how to alter it for your needs.

The issue with building it outright for you is that it takes a lot of work, in order to satisfy the need of 1 person. The power of SambaPOS lies in the fact that you can make it work however you want - but you must invest the time to learning how it works.

I only use D1 (and HH), and it is only on specific Products. Most products have no D1 discount, and none of them have D2 or D3 discounts. You don’t need all 3, and not all products must have values. But it sounds like you want to give VIP discounts in a different manner anyway, so that requires modification to the flow of the Tutorial.

You have a HUGE amount of products many people myself included do not have that many so this really is not that big of an issue for me or probably @QMcKay.

Quick answer is yes. Long answer will have to wait a bit I am fairly busy atm.

1 Like

thank you @kendash , the reason the product list is so big is because one of our departments is a farm stall with a retail selection.

@QMcKay I am willing to put in effort, this system has many many hours of editing in from my side, but its my ability that holds me back. It unfortunately needs a clear tutorial for me to accomplish anything in Samba.

You two guys are magic tho thanks for all the advise and help

2 Likes

That reproduces when you keep price list open > delete price definition > return back to price list and update deleted definition’s prices. I’ve secured it.

2 Likes