SambaPOS 4.1.73 Released

@gerlandog, before you go all crazy redefining your Inventory Units, let me say this: I agree with you, and your perception of how (base and transaction) units should work.

While there are certain scenarios where you could (and probably should) set your Transaction Multiplier to 1 (which is effectively ignoring it), these scenarios are both subjective, and in the case of my business very rare. Other types of businesses may see things differently, due to the nature of their products, and to each their own.

I for one am still pondering how I should set things up now, with our new Additional Units (thanks again @emre!). If I am clear in my understanding of how they operate, I may do the same thing that is being suggested by @Jesse and @emre, and abolish the Transaction Unit in some cases in favor of Additional Units, since they appear to behave differently.

@emre, how do Additional Units have any bearing on how things operate (i.e. Consumption, Purchase Transactions)?

1 Like

dont worry I made a backup, just in case, LOL!!!

I really would like to understand @Emre and @Jesse, but I am having a hard time doing soā€¦

Thanks!!!

G.

Look at my screenshots maybe it will make more sense. I am not using two unitsā€¦ I am using Base unit and Box unitā€¦ base and transactionā€¦I just have it setup so that the Transaction aka Box unit is an extra unit so it reports correctly. I am not using Transaction Unitā€¦Extra Unit in my implementation took the place of Transaction Unit.

The reason it needs to be this way is because I also want some of my items tracked by % of case or % of transaction unit which case I would define Transaction unit and multiplier accordingly. I would not use extra unit. By design it is allowing this.

This allows me to purchase using the Transaction Unit I defined in extra unitsā€¦ but it tracks it by the single unit which is exactly what you wanted @gerlandog

Dear @Kendash, I think we will never understand each other. I am sorry. but for me having two units is more than enough, having extra units is a great bonus. For me having two units and in some products not using them, but using the extra unit is a waste of space. I do track items by the unit and the same time by the box (beers). I do count how many BOTTLES (by the unit) I have in my fridge, and then I go to the storage room and count how many boxesā€¦ I CANNOT PUT BOXES in my Fridge, and I sure cannot be sure to have allways a whole complete box in the fridgeā€¦

I found a small bugā€¦

If in a transaction you mix two units of the same productā€¦ the stock goes crazy
for example

1 Pack of Coca cola (extra unit, multiplier 6)
and
2 Coca Cola (base unit multiplier 1)

Stock gives yu 16 Coca colasā€¦

G.

PD, restoring my backup, and keeping it as it was
Base unit = sell unit
TRANS unit = Transaction units

and will still have to do math conversions to use EOD Recordsā€¦

Thanks!!!

G.

NONONO I would use Trans unit if I wanted it to track by % of caseā€¦ which I do for some of my items.

Mine does not behave like thisā€¦ what did you do? Can you show a screenshot because I am confused what you mean by this.

My screenshots show exactly how to set it up to do what you are asking. Somewhere we are not communicating correctly. I thought my screenshots were pretty clear on how to set that up.

What I am saying is I use both methods for inventory. Transaction Unit with multiplier set to your Transaction amount will give you % of Case for tracking this is good for tomatoes etc that you can not track by base unit its nearly impossible.

Leaving Transaction Unit blank and setting multiplier to 1 and using Extra Unit as your Trans unit allows you to still purchase using your transaction unit but it will track it by the base unitā€¦ you can have both systems working at the same time.

I am on the phone, and restored backup, for nowā€¦

After five times changing this I think I know how to do it, and in my previous screens, and explanations I showed that my setup is not wrong.

I made a purchase transaction mixing units in the same transaction. One line for multiplier 6 and one line for multiplier 1, total came up wiredā€¦

will stop with thisā€¦ seems to me that I will have to accept the fact that I think different, and I am ok with that.

Thanks!!!

G.

Look at my screenshot if its not setup like that it will not work like you want. My screenshot I have burritosā€¦ they come in box of 24ā€¦ I want to track them by the each because I sell them by the eachā€¦ I know 1 box = 24 sales. So I set my multiplier to 1 left Trans unit blankā€¦ I setup my extra unit as my trans unit with the multiplier of 24ā€¦

I purchased 3 boxes which = 72 burritosā€¦ my inventory shows I have 72 burritosā€¦It will allow me to adjust end of day records by eachesā€¦ not % of case. This is what you have been asking for.

Maybe I need to setup an example of all of my inventory and how its tracked together so you can see.

1 Like

This sounds like a good direction to go, I think this will solve EOD and Reporting issues, like I mentionedā€¦

you just purchased 3 boxes onlyā€¦

I explained that in my case (coca colas) I made two purchases
1st purchase = 1 Pack of 6 coca colas
2nd purchase = 2 units of coca cola

that did not work for meā€¦ result was 16 units in total

G.

I just did that and it worked fineā€¦ you set something up wrong. Can you show screenshot of the setup?

Screenshot of my example comingā€¦

Before Purchases:

My Inventory Item Burrito:

My Purchases Showing both types:

My inventory after purchasesā€¦ 3 boxes = 72 + 3 Eaches = 75

As you can see it works beautifully. And this is exactly what you have been asking for.

1 Like

Awesome! Very niceā€¦ me likey!

I like it too. This opened up a whole new efficiency for inventory. Screenshots of how I handle my Fountain Cokeā€¦ I track them by % of case because its a syrup bagā€¦ would be Impossible to track it per ounce.

Screenshot incomingā€¦

My Inventory Item for Coke. Note Pallet = 10 Cases Yes sometimes I buy a pallet.

So again as you can see it works beautifully it allows me to track both types and it shows it correctly in inventory report now. Notice it shows Box for my Coke and Ea for my burrito.

Ignore the cups it was not setup correctly for testing reasons.

Set Transaction Multiplier to ZERO (0) to avoid seeing blank Unit in Transaction screenā€¦

1 Like

Aha did not think of thatā€¦ it worksā€¦ thank you! So maybe @emre does not need to filter that afterall.

Before we lose our attention on this topic Iā€™ve decided to upload 4.1.75 to feature new inventory unit features. Now it is possible to choose a default transaction unit and choosing a parent unit for unit multiplier. I think Iā€™ve finished what I was planning with units. I hope youā€™ll like it.

PS: As Iā€™ve rushed a little to be able to upload before the flight boarding time it may contain few issues. That wonā€™t be listed as a public download until I complete some tests.

Edit: http://sambapos.com/download-sambapos

3 Likes

Well to close this topic and never talk about STOCK and UNITS againā€¦ I will tell ALL that I am happy now. I decided that life is too short to argue about stockā€¦ I can live happy with how everything is set uā€¦ and now if you excuse me, I will jump frm 9th floorā€¦ LOL!!!, no seriously, I decided that having both units BASE and TRANS working as I tought its not possible so, I changed everything and added EXTRA unitsā€¦ will do some more tests but I think I got it all working.

Soā€¦ now I will change, open my pizza place, ask the kitchen to prepeare a HUGE caipirinha and drink all of it doing some testsā€¦ LOL!!!

Thanks!!!

G.

2 Likes

Love it thank you. What does the Check Box do? I can not figure out any function for it.

Checkbox is for [IsDefaultTransactionUnit] ā€¦

Very nice @emre :wink:

use [SambaPOS4]

SELECT
 ii.[Id]
,ii.[Name]
--,[InventoryItemId]
,iu.[Name]
,[Multiplier]
,[DefaultCost]
,[IsDefaultTransactionUnit]
,[ParentUnitName]
,[ParentUnitMultiplier]
FROM [InventoryItemUnits] iu
left join [InventoryItems] ii on ii.[Id]=iu.[InventoryItemId]
where 1=1
and ii.[GroupCode]='Bread'

Very Nice, now that I am sitting in my chair, having a huge caipirinha everything is pink!!!

seriousle I think now stock and units are working as I supposed they shouldā€¦ I just ignored TRANS unit, and skipped directly to EXTRA units, using is defaulttransaction and parent unit!!!

now I have to re-do my stock to see units and trans units, but thats tomorrowā€¦ today I am done and @emre got a A+

Thanks!!!

G.