SambaPOS hardware requirements

My understanding of multi SSID boxes that I have used is unless you configure VLans (Virtual Lans) for them to route into they would still use the same network and just give two codes to connect (ie office with fixed code, and public with no code or regularly changing code) and provide little additional security for the office traffic.
With VLans on a managed switch you could virtually isolate all public traffic from the POS/office traffic.
Either way the same hardware would be used for both.

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s true. If you are going to use SambaPOS on a site that has big traffic my suggestion would be VLANs or two completely separate wireless networks. If you are not expecting big internet traffic from your customers then a router as the one I mentioned is ok and cheap. You can apply vlans on it to.

Just to add to that remember and additional access points would need to support vlans as well as the centeral switch/router :slight_smile:

You can always use these as additional access points http://routerboard.com/RBGrooveA-52HPn
:smile:

If you want to make it even easier to setup, you can use these network products as well

or these for outdoors

I really like tplink, they may not be the most solid but are full of handy features.
Where else can you get a ap with poe (be it passive) for Ā£25! :smile:

I donā€™t knowā€¦ Iā€™m a little afraid of them. Do they work OK on heavy traffic?

Have not used for a samba setup.
Generally keep everything hard wired and not done any tablet setups where Iā€™ve had to install the wifi.
They are ideal for public network.
Have about 12 installed throughout a hotel locally, have them on poe so tidy up on wall with psu say in the loft or cubbord nearby.
Have to restart one now and again.
Most where psu is not easily accesable I have put on a digial plug trimmer to switch off for 5 mins in middle of night once a week.

Now thatā€™s called automation!

One less thing to worry about.
At Ā£25 they are cheap enough to just replace if they die.
Out of 12 I maybe have had to replace 1-2 in last couple of years and pretty sure they were the original ones from when there were only 3-4 and coverage was not 100%.
so for the price pretty good going I think.
Couple need to be reset every couple of weeks (ones without timers) but pretty sure itā€™s will be due to voltage drop on too longer run using passive poe with is only recommended for 10-20ft.
I have a side project to make my own active poe adapters which would overcome that.
Ā£15 for 24v psu and Ā£2 each for mini voltage dropping regulators to drop to 12v.
Also intent to apply these to the ip CCTV camera which are not poe compatible passive or active and run on 5v.
The volt dropper/regulator will be fed by the unused pairs in the cat5 on 24v and the output will go in to a power jack into the camera from a small patress box mounted next to the ap/camera.
Bit diy but gives a facility you would usually find of Ā£100+ access points and even more on cameras for only few Ā£ :smile:
Will also apply the same setup to my cheap wireless security system in workshop, sensors run on batteryā€™s but with this will convert to wired power fed from a ups.
Probably easier to just buy the more expencive equipment but whereā€™s the fun in that :slight_smile:

1 Like