Sambapos Very Slow on terminals

This slowness is a bone on my neck. if It can be solved, it means we have succed

Mark will have better idea about processor.
What’s with the slash? What’s exact spec.
2GB ram to me suggests an old machine.
Not sure about win 10 but 2gb for win7 I would expect sluggish use.

Some terminals are 2GB RAM and some laptops are 4GB RAM some are SSD 32gb some are 500HDD

THIS IS MY LAPTOP SPECS. WHEN I CONNeCT WITH MY LAPTOP IT IS STILL VERY SLOW

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.170602-2340)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version CCB.03.61.17F.46
Processor: AMD A4-3320M APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3562MB RAM
Page File: 4746MB used, 3445MB available

When you say slow, what is slow? What events are slow.
How customised is your setup. It is possible to configure features which are quite demanding. Custom entity state formatting using report expressions to report ticket details is a prime example as report ticket details is actually searching all tickets and needs to be run for each entity on the screen so if you have multiple report expressions in formatting and say 40 entities on screen that report then has to be run 80 times to load the entity screen.
There are other examples.

So in summary those machines with only 2gb of ram sound dated and with only 2gb wouldn’t expect rapid speed for much.
Your laptop has better specs, not best but better which comes back to network.
From what you say sounds like you have allot of terminals… if that’s the case network becomes more of a factor.
How are they connected? If wifi that is likely the issue/bottleneck of the network. Wired is always preferable where possible.
If you have allot of terminals key bottle necks could be switch/structure or main server machine hook up. With allot of terminals I would like to see a gb hookup for server at very least.

Check this post:
Serious Lag When Using Software - Especially Terminal Computer

Let me explain myself very well.

1. My server is very fast. No issue this the server access sambapos.

2. Terminal, I have just 2 terminals, 2 laptops, and two desktop PC.

3. On the terminals or laptop or desktop PC, when you load Sambapos, it takes upto or more thank 45 seconds for the login interface to show.

4. When you click on POS, to display table is is fast, when you go to manage and do any work is fast.

5. But, the slowness comes when you click on a table (entity screen) to place place order. You will clicked on a product you wait upto 45 seconds or more for it to appear on the list. That is if a waiter or a server want to order 5 items it will take 45 seconds x 5 = 225 seconds for the order to be made.

6. You said some about entity. I have 4, Sportbar, Lounge, Temple, and Outdoor. All have 55 tables each which is a total of 220 table.

The entity screen issue is only if you use custom format for state, not default colours etc which are updated to entity rather than reported live from db.

First starting samba can take a little time while menus etc are loaded into cache etc. There is allot within samba and like many programs startup is not instant.
But 45 seconds does seem slow.

From your description first question would be how much custom automation have you done.
That you specifically say when adding orders I would look at what automation you have on events like;
Order added
Ticket total changed
Also possibly if nothing interesting there;
Order state changed

You didnt answer if these client machines are hardwired network or wifi.

Hardwired. are are onnect via cable

Good, wifi is common issue cause when using cheap or low grade boxes.

Ok, so yer, would start with checking what automation you have for order added and ticket total changed first.
You sometimes see a delay on first order added after fresh samba start- presumably some form of cashing but after that normal use so a consistent delay on order added to me suggests issue in custom automation.

It is a fresh setup. I have not dnoe any automation

Cant be that fresh if you have the entity screens and entities you say.
Sure there isn’t any custom automation rules setup?
Havnt loaded a db or backup from somewhere?

I didnt do any custom automation automation rusles sir

I only mapped all terminal to print bill

Ok, well I cant offer any further sugestions without more info.
If it really is fresh system with default database exc your entities and presumeably menu and your laptop with those specs hard wired to network it points back to network as a relatively unknown form what’s been discussed.

Is it a 100 or 1000 mb network?
How complex is the network physical structure?
Are you using static ips or dhcp?
Can you offer a brief description of network setup…

A simple thing to try on off chance of a DNS issue would be to change the host name in connection sting to the ip address of the server. Not a common issue but easy thing to test as a starting point.

2 Likes

I noticed that you have HDD on the server.
Is that HDD RPM 5400 or 7200?

From everything you said I would think your issue is he HDD on the server and possibly lack of Gigabit switch or router.

Also try changing the power settings like this.

Pro tip: Always use SSD on the server. ALWAYS.

2 Likes

the HDD is 7200 rpm…

SWITCH TPLINK 10/100Mbps desktop switch
Complexity of network: Network is already setup I dont have much info about the complexity
Server is static, others DHCP

From here I can say a big thank for your assistance so far. all those who responded. I am grateful.

I did a small lap test to prove if the network on ground was my issue so far. And I did this.

I have a small mobile router Dlink DWR-921 https://eu.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dwr-921-4g-lte-router . This router has 3 LAN port and 1 WAN port.

I configure the router to have thesame subnet with the already existng network.

1. I connected the SERVER via cable and one terminal via cable too, the result was PEFECT!
    no slowness, product entering table was fast.

2. I connected the SERVER via cable and one laptop and one terminal via cable too, the result was PEFECT! no slowness, product entering table was fast.

3. I connected the SERVER via cable and two laptops and one terminal via cable too, the result was BAD! slowness detected, product entering table was very slow.

Inconclusion:
Reason for slowness was due to the fact that the router can not handel the no. 3 test hard/connectivity

This triger me to looking the network again as my assumption about the already exist network was wrong. Already existing network has CCTV IP cameras runnung. Which means video and data are passing through 10/100Mbps Switch, is enough reason for Samba to be slow as a result of poor hardware infracstruture.

Step to be taken.
I will buy a Gigabit Switch and restruct the network giving sampos priority.

@Posflow
Thank you for your support.

Your problem is just celeron…
Try a i3 pricessor computer as a terminal as your server is good.
Your setup is not a small like any small restaraunt so use good computers once u have much transactions.
Your cashing might be going good but such process like fetching much data from server, the terminal would slow down.
I already have a customer who have big grocery nd same thing 2 terminals with a celeron processor.
Sometimes its real stick but his main concern on terminals is just cashing so we never really change anything.
I also have a next customer whos grocery is bigger than him and also too much transactions but i bought i3 terminals for him. Its being 2 years now he never complain me about terminals slowing down.