Sambapos Very Slow on terminals

I only mapped all terminal to print bill

Ok, well I cant offer any further sugestions without more info.
If it really is fresh system with default database exc your entities and presumeably menu and your laptop with those specs hard wired to network it points back to network as a relatively unknown form what’s been discussed.

Is it a 100 or 1000 mb network?
How complex is the network physical structure?
Are you using static ips or dhcp?
Can you offer a brief description of network setup…

A simple thing to try on off chance of a DNS issue would be to change the host name in connection sting to the ip address of the server. Not a common issue but easy thing to test as a starting point.

2 Likes

I noticed that you have HDD on the server.
Is that HDD RPM 5400 or 7200?

From everything you said I would think your issue is he HDD on the server and possibly lack of Gigabit switch or router.

Also try changing the power settings like this.

Pro tip: Always use SSD on the server. ALWAYS.

2 Likes

the HDD is 7200 rpm…

SWITCH TPLINK 10/100Mbps desktop switch
Complexity of network: Network is already setup I dont have much info about the complexity
Server is static, others DHCP

From here I can say a big thank for your assistance so far. all those who responded. I am grateful.

I did a small lap test to prove if the network on ground was my issue so far. And I did this.

I have a small mobile router Dlink DWR-921 https://eu.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dwr-921-4g-lte-router . This router has 3 LAN port and 1 WAN port.

I configure the router to have thesame subnet with the already existng network.

1. I connected the SERVER via cable and one terminal via cable too, the result was PEFECT!
    no slowness, product entering table was fast.

2. I connected the SERVER via cable and one laptop and one terminal via cable too, the result was PEFECT! no slowness, product entering table was fast.

3. I connected the SERVER via cable and two laptops and one terminal via cable too, the result was BAD! slowness detected, product entering table was very slow.

Inconclusion:
Reason for slowness was due to the fact that the router can not handel the no. 3 test hard/connectivity

This triger me to looking the network again as my assumption about the already exist network was wrong. Already existing network has CCTV IP cameras runnung. Which means video and data are passing through 10/100Mbps Switch, is enough reason for Samba to be slow as a result of poor hardware infracstruture.

Step to be taken.
I will buy a Gigabit Switch and restruct the network giving sampos priority.

@Posflow
Thank you for your support.

Your problem is just celeron…
Try a i3 pricessor computer as a terminal as your server is good.
Your setup is not a small like any small restaraunt so use good computers once u have much transactions.
Your cashing might be going good but such process like fetching much data from server, the terminal would slow down.
I already have a customer who have big grocery nd same thing 2 terminals with a celeron processor.
Sometimes its real stick but his main concern on terminals is just cashing so we never really change anything.
I also have a next customer whos grocery is bigger than him and also too much transactions but i bought i3 terminals for him. Its being 2 years now he never complain me about terminals slowing down.

I would say upgrade switch first.
100mb switch at core with CCTV and other data will eat into the available bandwidth.
If you just take epos, while 100mb should be ok for single link if you look at the server patch cable it again has 100 but hook up 4 client machines and that potentially means 25mb per client when working at same time based on actually getting max bandwidth.
If you need that box for its LTE connection place a good high grade gigabit switch after it as the core.

DLink <-> gigabit switch <-> devices
This will mean dlink is only used at uplink rather than network core.

I would recommend enterprise level equipment where possible. Dlink is more domestic level.
Look at something like a hp procure switch, I usually buy used gigabit procure switches for not much more than new domestic grade boxes on ebay.
On top of gigabit interfaces they will also have a faster backbone bandwidth internally between ports.

Another thing I would recommend is setting static ips for all fixed equipment.

In theory with static ip and switch as above, if you also used ip rather than host for connection sting samba would continue to work if dlink was removed for maintenance since using ip and static addresses the system doesnt actually need dhcp server or DNs to work locally. And also means there are no DNs requests to dlink to resolve host name to ip for server on db queries.

1 Like

Ok lots of discussion here. The issue is your hardware not Sambapos. For a smooth experience and best cost effectiveness you need a j1900 CPU, 4 gig ram, a good SSD drive NOT a HDD that is important. For an optimal experience I would go with an i3 8 gig ram and a SSD.

Anything with less than 4 gig ram and an HDD is going to be horribly slow.

2 Likes

It is not a fair comparison to say well other POS works fast. We are not other POS systems and we have our requirements for hardware. Our requirements are good though. I mean you can get a j1900 4gig ram 128gig SSD terminal for really cheap $450 wholesale $500-600 retail. That’s commercial quality terminal. That price is really good.

2 Likes

i3 with 4gb ram and 128 ssd as server & j1900 with same spec as a terminal will run smoothly?

1 Like

Yes j1900 with a SSD and 4 gigs of RAM runs quite well. The SSD makes the difference

3 Likes

Thanks jesse…

1 Like

Just to be clear. The optimal setup with balance to price is an i3 cpu with SSD 4 gig ram. I would say the j1900 is lowest I would go for a good experience. The i3 is just a tad bit snappier when caching etc.

You can save a lot of money with the j1900 and it runs just fine. I use a combination of an i3 terminal that is my server and a j1900 terminal on the network. It runs really well.

I know this issue has been solved long ago. But it is very important I continue from here the issues I’m having now.

I setup a client about 2 months ago. During the installation I noticed Sambapos was very slow in terminal end. Major thing I did to solve the issue was DNS. I noticed my DNS was point to a different IP Address so I resolved it.

Now, they call me saying that, when internet is out the slowness start but when they have internet everything is fine. The internet on the server is for metrik.

I want to get rid of the slowness without internet. How can I achieve that?

If its effected by internet conectivity then guess it must be router/modem related.
How have you set your connection strings?
If you give all devices a static IP and change the hostname for server in connection string you should bypass any DNS or higher level networking aspects and go direct on that level.
If your using a provider modem as your main switch I would reconmend the above with addition of a good gigabit switch between modem and devices.

Internet Modem <---> Good Switch <----> Till1
                                 <----> Till 2
                                 <----> Till 3

With the above setup the tills locally should operate even if you turned the internet modem off as with static ips and ip in con string you dont even need a dhcp server

Thank you. I have something to try from here. I will try to run all setup as static IP.

The ISP modem is currently responsible for assigning IP address. I will change that too, to a proper router, Mikrotik.

In theory if you set static ips would should bypass dhcp. Just make sure your static ips are outside the range of the dhcp.
Provided modems are often pretty poor. I always change for a quality box like a draytek. I do have the bt hub at hotel but only because the 3g backup is locked to their hub. But it is only for internet with dmz set to send everything to the dreytek wan port.

I always set static ips for any fixed device. Even wireless devices that stay on site.

1 Like

Just been reading this thread. I suggest ubiquiti gear for Enterprise grade networking hardware that won’t break the bank. Waps are solid and they have really good router the security gatway along with a Poe switch and a cloudkey controller to manage it all in one place without having to log into each device individually. You can also easily segment all your networks using vlans to keep SambaPOS separate from camera and any other smart devices or guest networks. Speaking of guest networks this also allows you to create a guest portal for wifi logins and can even integrate with your company Facebook page for wifi login.