Shuttle DS68U Samba Freezing up

I think this is a specific problem to this computer model, I have been testing the Shuttle DS68U computers for 2 different stations at 2 different test locations I have samba setup at and have random locking up of the SambaPOS application.

Locks up when all of the following happens:

1. A ticket is left open,
  2. closed in another computer,
  3. Close ticket button pressed on no longer existing ticket that was left on screen on the shuttle computer station.
  4. Samba Application freezes. My uncle said he just kept pressing on the screen until he got the notification to force close the program.
  5. Then everything worked fine.

I cant find a log file for the exact crash time that he reported, however I keep seeing this a lot in the log file, any help or advice is greatly appreciated:

[General Info]

Application: SambaPOS
Version: 5.1.61
Region: en
DB: SQ
Machine: DESKTOP-LSGA548
User: POS
Date: 6/8/2017
Time: 2:03 PM

User Explanation:

POS said “”

[Exception Info 1]

Top-level Exception
Type: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
Message: UCEERR_RENDERTHREADFAILURE (Exception from HRESULT: 0x88980406)
Source: PresentationCore
Stack Trace: at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE.Channel.SyncFlush()
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable`1 channelSet)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

[Assembly Info]

mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0
PresentationFramework, Version=4.0.0.0
PresentationCore, Version=4.0.0.0
System, Version=4.0.0.0
WindowsBase, Version=4.0.0.0
Samba.Services, Version=1.0.0.0
System.ComponentModel.Composition, Version=4.0.0.0
System.Configuration, Version=4.0.0.0
System.Xaml, Version=4.0.0.0
Microsoft.Practices.Prism.MefExtensions, Version=4.0.0.0
Samba.Presentation.Services, Version=1.0.0.0
Samba.Presentation.Common, Version=1.0.0.0
Samba.Domain, Version=1.0.0.0
Microsoft.Practices.Prism, Version=4.0.0.0
System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0
Samba.Infrastructure, Version=1.0.0.0
DevExpress.Xpf.Core.v14.1, Version=14.1.13.0
Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation, Version=1.0.0.0
Samba.Localization, Version=1.0.0.0
Samba.Persistance, Version=1.0.0.0
FastButton, Version=1.0.0.0

[System Info]

Operating System
-Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB
–CodeSet = 1252
–CSDVersion =
–CurrentTimeZone = -240
–FreePhysicalMemory = 2401628
–OSArchitecture = 64-bit
–OSLanguage = 1033
–ServicePackMajorVersion = 0
–ServicePackMinorVersion = 0
–Version = 10.0.14393

Machine
-DESKTOP-LSGA548
–Manufacturer = Shuttle Inc.
–Model = DS68U
–TotalPhysicalMemory = 4173787136
–UserName = DESKTOP-LSGA548\POS

######################### E N D #########################

Looks like video driver problems to me.

EDIT: Found this might be a good read. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dsui_team/2013/11/18/wpf-render-thread-failures/

1 Like

Was doing my own research and found that also. Thanks :slight_smile:
I guess all I can do is contact shuttle for assistance, since I already have the latest drivers and bios on it. These are really nice computers if I can fix this issue. With an SSD they boot up so fast I love it. I also setup windows 10 enterprise with shell launcher so the pc boots into samba.

This is so weird. @emre I know your really busy right now, but when you get a chance, do you have any ideas what could be going on here?

This is happening primarily (ALOT) with shuttle fanless computers but I have actually seen this same bahavior once in another station I setup at the same location on a Dell Optiplex 3010 i3. It seems like its clearly something with intel display driver. I called the computer manufacture and they are also clueless on what it could be.

In the first image I remotely logged into system during closed hours and samba was left displaying a ticket that was already closed in another station with that transparent square box and shadow around it. Sambapos session was completely unresponsive. I clicked around the sambapos program disapeared while still showing the sqaure box shadow and SambaPOS session still showed active in task manager. When I force closed sambaPOS the square shadow when away. I restarted samba just fine after that.

The same thing happened earlier today when waitress tried opening an open ticket or new table ticket (I forgot which one). They called me I logged in and just crashed and restarted the program. Image 2 and 3 are from this event.