Slow response on the first item clicked after inactivity - please help

Hello, I have an issue with my sambapos v5, the issue is ;
After inactivity for 10 minutes or more, and when I come back to the pos to make a sale, the first item I click on will take about 5 seconds to response, other items will work as normal with no problem… Only first item button clicked after leaving pos with no activity for about 10 minutes or more.
Database runs locally
I have 2 computers
First .Intel 2.5ghz core2due 4gbram hdd
Second. Intel 2ghz celeron, 2gb ram run on ssd
And both are the same almost, the first computer 8s slightly faster but differently has slow response as well.
Any help will be appreciated
Thanks

Check power saving options and make sure nothing is getting put into idle/sleep like hdd etc or network.
Which one hosts the SQL database? Presumeably the first one?
I run many systems on dell usff core2duo (although 3ghz) with similar ram and have never had any issues like that.
The second one is slightly low on spec, running windows 7 or higher 2gig of ram is a little frugle considering the cost on older machines like that. SSD is good but not all are made equal and some cheap ones can be no better than normal hard drives - its always worth checking the specs - I usually use kingston v300 drives which are afordable and run at 500mbs+ vs many unbranded/cheapy ones which are often less than 1/4 of that.

1 Like

If the one hosting the DB is the one with the HDD, then it is almost certainly a delay caused by spinning up the HDD because it has been spun down (turned “off” by Windows Power settings).

If not, then it can also be caused by other “Power Saving” profiles like WiFi being switched off, etc.

Personally, I had this issue a loooong time ago, then I replaced the DB HDD with an SSD and verified that the SSD was not being switched off by Power settings, and after that the problems disappeared.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply.
I think that something is going to sleep but can’t tell what it is. My main concern is the computer with the ssd and I know they don’t idle or sleep.

The 2 computers are separate from each other. I’m testing on both tho. And both have same problem.

I will try to find out if my ssd is on power saving mode. I didn’t know they can be on saving mode… Thanks for the advice.

I presumed they were linked on network and you were using SQL, login as admin and restore the SambaPOS program so you can check the database version in the header.
It will be either TXT, CE, DB or SQL.
If its TXT or CE this would likely be a factor.

1 Like

After long hours of digging deeply into the system and the computer I finally found out what was making this “slow response after inactivity when first item clicked” .
I have 2 print jobs using custom printer and internet explorer to show stuff on a second screen!

1. At the event of “ticket is closed” print job will start showing slides how of some pictures (runs through print job, using printer template, and fired by a rule )

2. At the event of “ticket total changed” "which starts when first item clicked " a new printing job will start to show order list and total on the second screen (runs through print job, using printer template, and fired by a rule )

And here is when I experience the slow response when the second print job starts.

I’m still not sure why this print job causes slow response when it starts after about 5-10 minutes of inactivity.

When I disable the second print job the problem disappears, when I keep the second print job running all the time (not replacing it with the first print job ) after ticket closed, the problem dissappears too.

But I kind of need the first print job to run after ticket is closed to show the pictures.

If you have any idea or help will be appreciated.
Thanks