[Solved] Data Export Links Fail

Continuing the discussion from Data Exports feature:

Ok - what the trick to making these links work? Below is 3 exports I have copies and tested in Reports ->Data Exports:

How do I create a working link?

Below is the sample I copied (unedited at this stage!):

I don’t understand your screenshot, you say you don’t get any prompt to “click a link”, but there is no such prompt. When you select Data Export, you get a list of data export reports, then you click the one you want to use.

Am I missing something?

@markjw - I am glad you are around this is driving me insane. Yes clicking on the link does nothing, and in your image there is a bottom message “Click on one of these links to Export Data” - I do not have that?

Q said he was to create an interface “Now I’ll create an interface on report explorer and related action” - so how do you do that?

Creating the Export template made them automatically appear on the REPORTS Menu?

Here is your link - notice the very last line in the image: Bottom Left.

That is not showing for me either in 5.1.57. Maybe Emre removed it for some reason? But it doesn’t affect functionality.

I think there was a misunderstanding at that stage because that was originally a beta topic and I believe Q wasn’t aware Emre had implemented the data export list appearing in the reports screen when he wrote that. Read further down that topic you see I mentioned that and Q wasn’t aware of it.

Once you create at least one data export, the data export item appears in the reports menu. You then click links to run each export.

The File Name of the report needs to be a a complete path and filename. The file will then be saved to the specific location when you click the report or otherwise run it (say if you did via an action), however there is no prompt that says it has been saved.

You can use tags in the filename if you want to save with date/time, etc.

Also, you can set filename like C:\SambaPOS*.csv will prompt you for a filename and force file type to be .csv. Same goes if you used C:\SambaPOS*.xml it would force .xml. However of course your report has to be in csv, xml, etc.

1 Like

Thanks Mark - I found the issue, SambaPOS must automatically check write permissions in the background AND as I had no path (DEFAULT USER PATH) it fails!? I have just entered a path like D:\Paul\Documents\*.CSV and guess what -
it works… :scream:

No error messages or anything threw me a bit…
Thanks for chiming in!

I think it was fact you didn’t have an absolute path. I don’t think it was related to write permissions.

Happy to help :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

These 2 bits are very important so I mark your reply as the best solution - thanks mate!

1 Like

I guess it going to be good practise to set up a {SETTING:x} variable to save output so systems are more portable. Not unless we can tap Windows variables like “USER” etc.

I find you get problems with permissions sometimes when you save to USER path, it’s best practice to not save there (mentioned few times on forum with others getting access denied errors when saving to USER path).

I tend to just create a folder in C drive then ensure correct permissions, save anything related to running of SambaPOS in there.

3 Likes