SQL server service not running issue

I’ve been finding a very weird issue with SQL lately that I was hoping someone could shed some light Ok for me as I’ve tried many things yet I can’t get it to work at all…

At the beginning I installed SQL with windows authentication as it was only for a single machine(probably should have done SQL authentication but anyway)… After installation finished it all was working. I could access database and set samba up too.

After I set up samba and saved a copy of database too. I had to restart PC sue to windows updates. Ever since the restart I cannot get SQL server service to run for the life of me…
It just suddenly stopped working and running automatically, and even after soon many different attempts it still doesn’t work.

I tried the following things.

1. Tried to start SQL server services from services. Get error 1053…

2. Tried to change login from services to local. Still same issue

3. Enabled tcpip and set firewall up too to pass it through… Still same error message.

4. Tried to start service in SQL configuration management and still same error message 1053…"The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. "

5. Tried to completely uninstall SQL, then reinstall it… This method made it work… Only for it to stop working after PC restart again.

6. Ran sqlservr.exe from command line in admin mode and application kept crashing.
    Checked windows logs and the crashing gave me error code 0xc0000005… Tried to do some research on this but couldn’t come up with a proper answer or solution to it.

The system prior to onsite installation was working 100%. Only thing I did different was change database to different one. But all settings were the same.

It only occurred after surprisingly I took the system onsite and did some minor changes in samba like adding buttons and more products and updates etc… But nothing server related.

Does anyone have any idea on how I can get this server to run without the need of SQL reinstallation?

Someone suggested virus infection may cause application to crash. Did a full spyware scan and malware scan with 0 infected files.

Shop goes live in 3hrs from now. ! Pressure is real haha

We have some very knowledgable people with SQL Server here but you might get better and faster response from actual Microsoft forums from SQL Server experts.

But what version of SQL Server and what version of windows?

PS: It sounds like something got corrupted.

I found this it might give some ideas to try.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/322140

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/839174

http://www.hiteksoftware.com/knowledge/articles/050.htm

Lots of people that really do not understand how this stuff works usually recommend that. I highly doubt it would be a virus.

Try restoring your pc to earlier time before Windows updates and see if that helps.

1 Like

I think I will try that but for now I’m reinstalling SQL and restoring database one more time. Get them running and advise strongly not to restart PC till I get a chance to go onsite. I’ve got like 4-5 things happening at same time haha. Stocking coming. Deliveries, PC setups and remote troubleshooting all at same. I don’t even know how I’m catching up haha.

But yeah I knew it wasn’t a virus, I did a scan just to be safe and it came back with nothing.

I recommend you install SQL Express 2016 its the latest version and it could possibly solve your issue. I dont remember reading anything specific about that type of thing but installing latest version is a good idea.

Yeah I’m thinking of doing that , but its gonna be a live machine in a couple of hours. I’m halfway installing 2014 again. Might let that finish, then ready 2016 when I’m on site

I tried the first link you gave earlier in the morning. It was the attempt with running SQL via cmd. It ran the file but the file crashed. The error log showed that 0xc0000005 . that’s what I narrowed it down to. The other two links I checked. The one for permissions I attempted too without success.
I even created a new account and gave it full admin rights theb associated the account to the sql service via local login … It just gave me an error 40…
Could not find server or instance lol. and the other gave me a similar resolution which I did try but no luck with it either.

are you running windows 10 ? if so ensure service startup is set to automatic

Hope this helps

I have 2016 installed live and no issues at all

Yep I tried that also. Some people also mentioned to try doing automatic with delay on all its services. And didn’t make a difference even after restarting the PC. I think I might just download 2016 and hope that fixes the problem when I’m onsite

Edit: wow haha. Now I try to uninstall SQL and its failing. Telling me no valid sequence could be found for set of updates?!

Why aren’t you using Restore Windows to earlier state? This will fix your problem immediately. I thought you are opening in 3 hours and needed a quick fix.

Once you start having problems with sql service not starting properly, you should re-install the OS.

1 Like

Because system restore upon a fresh install was somehow disabled so there was nothing to restore to… After soon much fiddling around the situation ended up getting worse to the point where I could neither install or uninstall SQL. So luckily I had a backup of database available. I fired it up on a remote test machine, and ran samba locally without a database, reconfigured the basics to get them up and running, then I went back on site, and literally reinstalled windows and started from scratch.

Installed SQL , samba and all relevant updates, restored database and its all working again…
I must say it was one of the most annoying SQL error encounters I have ever faced. After 12-14 straight hours of attempts to fix the issue ended up with no result…

Its all fixed now :D. Thanks for all your fast input. It was very helpful :).

1 Like

UPDATE: Ok I’ve had sql 2014 installed on my personal laptop for just over a year now without issues. 6 months updated to windows 10. This morning I had to start preparing a demo for a new to be client, only to access sql management and the EXACT SAME PROBLEM OCCURED!

I honestly think windows 10 recent updates have got something to do with this. On a client’s system and now my laptop, did have win 10 updates it needed to install. only to restart saying it failed, I have a feeling its connected. I’m going try to narrow it down to the source.

I’m constantly getting clients calling because the SQL never started automatically and are getting DB errors.

Very frustrating

Windows 10 sensational right?

As a side issue, when I was on site just before a demo & some training my system decided to automatically start the Win 10 Free installation (probably because I had hit the “no” button too may times). Got back to my main development system with 10 staff in tow only to see the Red Screen “do not switch off” … :confounded:

2 Likes

Only 3 more days of pressing no :slight_smile: LOL

1 Like

Anyone tried this delayed start setting? Correct me if I’m wrong but It seems like a new setting to me.

1 Like

Hey @emre I have actually tried that delayed start. On my own machine and on the clients. Its supposed to delay the start of the service at the beginning of when windows loads to allow older machines to start a bit quicker. So it would start all the essentials, then after some time it would start that service, but regardless of that, SQL service just did not want to start at all. I tried starting it from services.MSC and didn’t work, tried registry config, that didn’t work. Tried SQL config, with same delayed start and still didn’t work…literally no options made SQL service start. I was forced at the end to actually use the reset machine to default with win 10. Only after I did that and installed everything fresh it started working as it should.

I highly believe the win 10 SQL updates may have caused it to stop working. Because I noticed after all win 10 updates get installed, there comes along some SQL updates from win update centre, and when it tries to install them. It fails every time and I think due to it failing, its causing a malfunction with SQL server start service

1 Like

Odd i havnt experienced it yet and i get all updates. Ill keep watching and ill research it.