Strange Behaviour on SQL Server - Delayed Start?

Hi Guys,

I am having a strange behaviour on one of the client’s terminal,
Everytime the PC starts,
If try to start SambaPOS or SambaIn,
SambaIN gives

Then SambaPOS is the connectivity error when the database string pops up.

I wonder if this is related to SQL server being delayed in the system somehow.
I have never had this on any of the other Terminals.

It means the SQL server is either not started, turned off, or something else. But basically it cant connect to the sql server.

I assume SQL server is installed on the same machine? Maybe delay the start of SambaIN and SambaPOS until you know SQL server is running.

1 Like

Yeah, SQL is installed.

and you are correct, if wait for like 2 minutes, then start SambaIN and SambaPOS,
then it will run as normal.

I am just wondering what caused the SQL server delay.
Like no other machine we setup had this type of problem.

It could be a lot of factors including antivirus, Task Scheduler, SQL Server itself may have a delayed start on the service(you can check for that)

1 Like

are you auto starting Samhain and SambaPOS?

Where should I look to see if SQL server itself is having a delayed start on the services?

Used to Auto Start, But since this problem, I turned both auto start off.

What are you using to auto start them?

Be sure delayed start is not selected when you go to properties of the service in Services.

Registry key under
hkey_local_machine\software\wow6432node\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run"

I would also advise considering using a Task Scheduler task for auto starting you can add a delay to it for that.

an alternative to task scheduler is Restart on Crash Download Restart on Crash - MajorGeeks app. It’s lightweight and can be configured to run with delays etc.

However Task Scheduler can usually solve all needs and is included in windows. You can export tasks for quick import on new deployments too.

1 Like

Thank you Jasse, That was very helpful.

If the terminal is put to sleep or in hibernate, it could be causing the issue when the OS resumes running.

1 Like