Strange upgrade V4 - V5 database issue

We don’t have RECOVERY in restoration script but seems like for a reason you need that. I’ll check that in more detail.

I’ve added Enable alternative Restoration Method setting. I’ll be happy if you can try with that setting enabled. (5.1.53)

1 Like

@emre

Sure, i will happily try it once 5.1.53 comes out.
Thanks Emre!

1 Like

Emre, the “Alternative restoration method” in 5.1.53 is not working.
The database is still stuck in the restoring state.

Can you zip & PM me a backup with taken SambaPOS backup tool?

kelvin I’ve changed implementation so on next (5.1.54) version if you

1. Disable Allow Overwriting.. setting.
  2. Enable Alternate Restoration setting.

it will restore by using exactly RESTORE DATABASE MyDatabase FROM DISK = 'MyDatabase.bak' WITH REPLACE, RECOVERY SQL command.

However I’ve also restored your backup without issues and needing RECOVERY. Most internet search results relates with full hard drive issue. As there is no free space it stuck in Restoring state. If it is not your case. Maybe there is an issue related with your database file. You can try changing it to a different database by:

1. Create backup.
  2. From SambaPOS > Local Settings > Database page click Edit Connection
  3. Change Database name to something different than current database name. For example SambaPOS5New.
  4. Click OK, After seeing successful message click Apply.
  5. Restart SambaPOS.
  6. Restore backup.

Hopefully that will create a new database file with your data. If it solves the issue you can change database names on all terminals and continue from that database.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Just an FYI related to this thread…

This is my first post to the forum.

I think this issue has still not been resolved.

Last summer, I set up a ver 4 Beta system, and spent a ton of time with custom configuration to see if this package would meet my needs.

By the time I got ready to put a real system together for this year’s season, you had released ver 5.

So I decided to go with the latest. I loaded Ver 5.1.58 onto the same beta machine to test it out first, found the ver 4 data file, and imported it into 5. Everything worked fine.

Next, I set up a 3 computer network, loaded Ver 5.1.58 onto all 3 units, loaded SQL 2014 onto the one to be the server, got the data connection working, activated message server, and got it all working fine.

(All those steps took me about a week of reading the forums, and experimenting. If I get time, I will jot down what my pain points were and how they were solved. It might help someone else that is coming into this new.)

Today, I tried to backup my database from the Beta machine (Using Samba backup to zip file), and restore it to my new server (With Samba, Settings, Database Backups, Backups, Restore from ZIP.)

It did not work. I got a variety of error messages depending on the options I selected, what folder the backup file was in, etc.

The closest I got was an error message that said SamboPOS5 (the name of the database) was in use and could not be restored.

I finally got it to restore by the following:

Closing all copies of SambaPOS running on all 3 terminals.
Ran the following on the server.
Extracted the ***********.bak file from the archive.
Placed it in the root of C:
Ran SS2014 MS and manually did a restore with overwrite.

Now it is up.

Thanks for all the tips in all the posts.

I just wanted to let the developers know that I still had problems with a restore in version 5.1.58 of a file that originally came from a version 4 setup. (Even though the zip file backup was made with a 5.1.58 system.)

FWIW.

Thanks,

Anthony

Did you get it imported into v5? is it just the v5 backup/restore causing you issues?
Most backup related issues I have dealt with are generally permissions related.
To start with add the sql service to the folder permissions for the directory your backing up to.
its allong the lines of
NT Service\MSSQL$INSTANCE-NAME

Search on the forum for NT Service and will have a guide.
Not saying thats your problem but a good first place to start.