Stuck with setting up SQL

You only need to convert sdf to SQL if you were using CE, you wernt using compact so won’t have a sdf file.
You were using demo/text which is non convertable.

1 Like

Awesome (Apart from having to redo all the products, menues, seating etc. lol)

Thank you for the help

Hi I set up the system and everything worked fine.

Did end of reports etc yesterday, opened up today, a waitress entered the first order of the day, but when she came to settle the ticket we got this screen:

I’ve checked the string, as far as I can tell, its correct

Data Source=DESKTOP-JNI55N4\SQLEXPRESS; User Id=sa; Password=sambapos;

I closed and open SambaPOS 3 times, and the last time it worked again. EDIT: Before I opened it the last time, I opened SQL Server Management Studio to check the server name

I’m only using one terminal, witch is also the server, so it shouldn’t be a network issue.

HEEEEEELP :slight_smile:

You wouldnt get this mesage half way through a ticket? Is what you get on startup if cant connect to database.

If its terminal and server you might be better to set as localhost\SQLEXPRESS for the source.
You only really need an IP or hostname to connect from remote/other PC to the server.

Just out of intesrest why are you using v4 where 90% of help you get from here will come from people on v5?

I took the screenshot when the waitress called me from my office. I wasn’t operating it myself, but when I got it restarted there was an active table/ticket. So I believe her when she said that, that was how the screen was when she came back to the terminal.

Is this where you suggest entering localhost\SQLEXPRESS ?

I’m inclined to leave it, as I’m planning to give the waitresses tablets, and then I can just copy/paste to get it right. Will it make a difference?

I didn’t know about v5 till I had already set up v4, but I do plan to migrate when I have the time.

Ok have you got your problem fixed yet?

The terminal is running again, but I’m worried about it happening again, when I’m not here (Teaching Thai girls problem solving is almost impossible)

I strugle to see how this could happen, once samba is started the sql server shouldnt randomly stop

It’s my experience that most workers never tell you the entire story. SQL server won’t just stop randomly unless you did something to cause it or you have a crazy app that might interfere.

Thats what I was trying to get at.

I said about localhost as using the pc hostname is depended on the config and am not sure if windows automatically updates the hosts file when you name/rename the pcs hostname, which would mean it is resolving the hostname via the DNS server of the network (you router). Which is defines in your IP setiings of the network interface where DNS server IP is. Default is usually th router or whatever is serving DHCP on the network.
This can be demonstraited by using the hostname to connect to local SQL instance but without having any network connections. (It does depend on a few factors but have seen this before cause inability to connect)

I have had issue in the past where router has been on the brink and changing from using host names to IPs (static ips set obviously) resolved.
You could alternativly edit the host file, but probably not necersery

Changing to localhost rules out some posibilities.
Just because the SQL is on the server doesnt mean its definatly staying completly local hence the sugestion of lusing localhost.

I see

The terminal I’s actually in the worst spot for wifi in the restaurant (which is why I haven’t bought tablets yet), and normally wifi is turned off, but not today.

I can see it login on and off periodically, so that could cause it?

I will change to localhost\SQLEXPRESS just in case.

Thanks for the fedback

Im not saying its definatly the issue as dont understand the deep deep details of network protocols just based on things I have noticed in the past.

I would STRONGLY reconmend that you run cat5/network cable to any fixed machine and avoid using wifi for anything other than portable devices.

When it comes to tablet you will want to ensure there is good coverage throughout else you will have drop outs and slow downs.
You can use multiple wireless access points with same name.
To allow ‘roaming’ access points want to have the same SSID/name using the same frequency/band ie g/n/ac, same pasword and security type BUT DIFFERENT channels.
Ideally chanels should be seperated by as much as posible where signals overlap, ideally at least 3 channels.
Also check nearby wifi signals and use an app to see what channels they are on and apply same channel seperation wherever posible.

2 Likes