Two questions and a quick fix please

Recently I have been getting this message “Message server not connected”. On the forum, the solution is to run the Message server tool. This works sometimes, usually we give up and use paper and a pen. Is there a quick fix? It happened last night just at the beginning of the shift, I couldn’t fix it but the connection is back on this morning so, fingers crossed for tonight as it is going to be busy.

How should I protect Sambapos from viruses and attacks if I cannot have a firewall or other software running?

Is there another way of getting access to Settings on my waiter’s tablet? I have not changed the password but the 2122520634 is not recognised. I am very reluctant to reinstall as it really is a task for an expert and there ain’t many of those around here!

Sounds like a misconfiguration, message server should be set and forget.
Firewall shouldn’t need to be disabled if correct ports are enabled to pass required apps.
And unless your running unsecured/open network or have ports open on network firewall the network itself should be secure with only your own devices that you control connected
What kind of setup is it that your expecting attacks and viruses, while it is good practice I generally don’t have antivirus etc on my epos system given users don’t have access to windows they cant download or install unscrupulous software.
Viruses don’t just download and install themselves.
Am probably a bit cavalier on that front as am able to handle potential issues myself but think posibly making mountain out of a mole hill.

Sounds like a misconfiguration, message server should be set and forget. I didn’t have a problem with it until recently when I bought a new tablet as the old one died. It would be good to have a clear instruction on how to configure it.

And unless your running unsecured/open network or have ports open on network firewall the network itself should be secure with only your own devices that you control connected The server is a standalone pc running Windows 10. It is connected to the internet, the only downloads are from Microsoft updates or, very occasionally, SambaPos. SambaPos is the only app I use on that machine, is it easy to tell it which ports to use?

Thank you for taking the time to help me, last night was a nightmare; we are used to SambaPos now but one waitress hates it and loves to see it fail. ‘I told you so…’ etc. is still ringing in my ears. Summer staff are difficult to find around here.

Best regards

Brendan

Ports are on the forum, two for sql and whatever port you define for message server.
You need to set port in named pipe in sql config from memory. Been a while since did a setup from scratch.
The tutorials on sql and samba install cover ports in sure.

If the tablet connects sometimes I don’t think it’s a firewall issue.

I’m leaning towards a network issue. If you have other terminals running the SambaPOS desktop software, do they exhibit any issues connecting to message server?

Is the access point used for the tablet open to any other employees or guests? If so, you may want to isolate it (a good idea anyway) and only allow POS clients/data on that network.