User Roles, Terminals, Log Need to clear concept?

well i have one server and three tablet terminals. i want to take orders from tablets only.

the problem is i got confused by the concepts of termainl setting, user roles and log.

as mentioned in the server step tutorial that i have to set terminals name for each device.

so i want to know along with this do i need to move the SambaSettings.txt file to the user path for SambaPOS for each RDP user. and also define five user account 1 admin 1 pos user and 3 waitor.

and is the log for reporting purpose only to know which person did the sale?

kindly help to clear my concetps

thanks

Hi,

I don’t know if you can take order only from your tablet.

On my server, I have 5 windows accounts:

• Admin: the one I use for starting SQL Server

• User1 : the one I use when I am physically working on the server, and using SambaPOS

• User2 : the one I use when connected remotly (rdp) to the server with tablet1

• User3 : same as above with tablet2

• User4 : same as above with tablet3

Now I also have SambaPOS users:

• Admin
  • Responsible1
  • Waiter1
  • Waiter2
  • Waiter3
  • Waiter4

And the logs are related to the Samba Users (not windows users)
Any Samba Users can use any tablets or server.

@plume so the tablet user connect to samba via sambapos users correct

@madiha I am not sure to understand what is a tablet user,

Only windows …

The tablet connects to the server (RDP) and opens a windows session using a windows account (windows user)

From the exemple, we would have:

• Tablet 1 connected to the windows server using windows account User2
  • Tablet 2 connected to the windows server using windows account User3
  • Tablet 3 connected to the windows server using windows account User4

Until that point there is nothing to deal with Samba.
There is nothing to deal with waiters, etc …
You have 3 tablets connected to a windows computer, and you can open Ms Word for instance.

Only SambaPOS …

… OR you can also run Samba POS on your 3 tablets.
Now you have SambaPOS running on your 3 “tablets” and the SambaPOS logon screen appears:
You can enter the pin code of Waiter1 on tablet1 or on tablet2 or on tablet3 or on the server.

The logs are related to the SambnaPOS users.(waiters)

Marc

@plume by tablet (samsung tab) user1 i mean rdp user1
anyways u have explained it clearly

one more thing i still need need to do the sambasettings.txt for each rdp user correct

I am not a gouru in this but I don’t see the point of doing anything.

With the tablet, it is as you would be logged on the windows server.
Each tablet a windows user.

Local Setting deal about Local settings, as all your users are on the same machine : the windows server (Same local, language, keyboard, printers?), I don’t see the point to have more than 1 terminal.

Just the default Server Terminal will do and no need to change anything in User path.

Having different Terminals allows you to control Rules & Actions via Terminal names, this also includes printing. It also allows for different Menus based on Terminal Name.

SambaPOS Usernames allows control of the front end or POS interface.

Terminal Names -> Back end settings
User Names -> Front end settings

You only need to change the location of SambaSettings.txt if you have created and set Terminal Names for each RDP user, but it keeps using the same Terminal for all RDP connections. I don’t think this is an issue anymore as SambaPOS automatically works this out by itself and moves the file.

so it means for an organized structure and for assigning rules and actions we should set terminals

Yes. By setting up terminals and users properly you will have better control, especially moving forward with newer features and setups.

@JohnS i was wondering is the sambapos user name and windows user name should be the same?

how will sambapos know who is logging in?

let say if i login as waitor but in sambapos i login as admin… is there any sort of restirction?

@madiha the 2 logins are totally separate. The windows login just allows the user to use the computer. The Sambapos login is for the Sambapos application - the 2 are in no way connected.
You need to set user permissions in windows if you wish to restrict access to the PC side of things and in Sambapos you set users role permissions and then assign users to roles.

Hope That Helps

Thanks

Rob

@windinghouse thanks i was clear with this concept but was wondering is it just password sambapos will ask not the user name before logging in.

SambaPOS does not use username & passwords. It only uses a Pin Number for a user to login.

Hello guys,

I don’t know if this is the right place to ask… I have a request: My customer wants 2 till’s where the waiters can only take orders. Only that, Just enter in the main menu, they will see the tables, and just click on the table, and taking orders. WITHOUT any other Permission to Settle or Print Bill.
PS: He is afraid of the waiters not to steal (don’t ask why :smiley: )
I tried to DEselect all the options:

Can this be done ?
Thanks.

Look at mapping for rules. You can set specific userroles for rules. Using this for the Settle Rule might be useful.

1 Like

Found it :D. thanks thanks

These days a lot of people does that. There is no need to mention people in your posts.

Use Mention only when you think related stuff is useful for them. Do not use it like “hey look at me”.

Read our community guidelines for more info about how to post properly.

1 Like

Automation Command buttons can also be mapped per User Role. Here I mapped the Settle button (Automation Command) to the role of Admin only. It causes the button to disappear completely…

I seen on kendash, thanks. Sorry for the names, I edited. No more names.