VIP & Happy Hour (or timed special) Discounts without Triggers

hmm, ok thats weird. What do you mean by rounding functions enabled?

Ill paste the rules in here and product tags 2 secs…

edit: for the record, ive installed this on a new install of samba and its a stock install? I havent edited anything.

Matt

Hi QMckay,
Is there tutorial to implement percentage discount instead of fixed value?

For the VIP discount I have used the ‘Rate’ instead of price. the discount is calculated correctly for the item but instead of subtracting the discount it adds on the ticket. can you pint me to wright direction. thanks

VIP1 5%
VIP2 10%
VIP3 15%

Set it as a negative rate see what happens.

3 Likes

That did the trick, thanks…:joy::scream:

I was following tutorial, But how can I use multiple same action in one rule?
if i use HH Store HH DateTime, can not use it again.

Am I missing something? please help

@jayguar6 once you use “Select Actions” then Right Mouse Click on the Actions List to get a “Display All Values” to display any used Actions.

Hidden feature :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, great help~
solved!

Hello All -

I’ve had the VIP/HH discounts implemented since V4. Recently I had the need to research a customers history and noticed the tags for HH discounts on all tickets had been removed. With this, it shows a balance on each applicable ticket for the total amount of the HH discounts however VIP tags remained. Is this normal? It doesn’t seem to be affecting anything in accounting, however our owner is concerned that this will alter reporting.

Upon investigating I’ve noticed that the tags are fine throughout the current work period and remain up to around 48 hours and then suddenly they vanish.

Is anyone else seeing similar behaviors?

Hmm… how are you doing this “research”? By displaying the Ticket via the Ticket Explorer or the Account “Find Ticket” button, I am guessing? I hope you’re not using the “Reopen/Cancel Payments” method…

In any case, the Tutorial is designed to have VIP override HH, so in most cases, there should be no mixing of HH and VIP Order Tags in a Ticket. It should be one or the other.

Can you possibly show some screenshots of this behavior?

You could try adding another Constraint to this Rule, just in case:

{TICKET STATE:Status} Not Equals Paid

Is there a way to give a “percent” off on an item as opposed to a monetary amount? Like 10% off an item for VIP? Or should I just figure out the 10% for each item and mark the monetary amount?

Have not used this exact setup before but as far as I can tell you would just need to edit the formula which calculates the tag value for discount.

[=-1*(TN('{ITEMTAG:VIP{ENTITY DATA:Customer:VIP Level}}')*(TN('{ORDER PRICE}'))]

Please check {ORDER PRICE} 99% sure thats wrong but but not at Samba PC atm to check correct tag but if VIP1 was set to 0.1 (10%) and order was £10 it would be -1 x 0.1 x 10 = -1… (£1 off £10 item so 10% off)

Hmmm… I was looking for a monetary amount off on some items (like $1 beer) and then a percent off of others (like 10% off appetizers). I can just do the dollar amount, but I am finding that it will not recognize any amount LESS than 1. So if an item is $8, then 10% would be .80 cents. But if I add an amount less than 1 into “product tag” it will not work. It just shows the original price. “1.80” WILL work, but “.80” will not.

Looking back the VIP config already does % discount… sounds like its using tag rate rather than price.

Yea, if I put a 1 in the “VIP1” Tag for a product, it deducts $1. If I put .5, it does not deduct anything.

Check the tutorial again, the VIP is using tag RATE not price which is a % of the price. If you were using rate it would be 1% not $1

I just imported the database. And it seems to work as the tutorial shows. They have screen grabs where the VIP discount amount is 10, and it subtracts 10 from the price, NOT a percent. For example, one capture hows 60 and the discount of 10 equaling 50. And another shows 500,00 with a VIP discount of 10 equaling 490,00. Seems to be an amount rather than a percent. And that is good, because that works for me.

On a side note, the HH Rule wasn’t working after the import until I mapped it to all.

For some reason I am not able to add HH Store Current PriceList twice in the same rule

2 Likes

Thanks for responding QMcKay. I wanted to try resolving this on my own as I know you guys are very busy and I’d like to ultimately be self-sufficient when it comes to Samba. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find the error and now there are new problems that have arisen.

First a response to your response:

By “research” I simply mean going into the ticket lister, selecting all tickets and searching by customer name and/or date. When selecting the ticket from the list it shows the orders however the tags are gone in regards to HH tags only. The VIP tags seem to work fine. (They tag correctly, save, and are still there when I pull up previous tickets.)

Upon further research I’ve found that the HH tags do remain on previous tickets so long as there is not an entity of any kind added to the ticket.

Here is an example of a ticket from March 15. Our Happy Hour ends at 8PM and is a $1 discount off Domestic beers which is where the balance of $4 comes from…

Here is a ticket the same day without an entity but has the HH tags…

Since posting my original question a new problem has come up. The HH tags attach to the order, however now when you add a table or customer the HH tags change to VIP and will not change to anything else once this happens. Example…

New Order from POS screen…

Upon selecting a table for the order ticket…

I’ve gone through the tutorial so many times I’ve lost count. At this point even if there was a misspelling or something I wouldn’t be able to see it as I’ve read and reread it so many times. I guess I’m not sure why it would suddenly stop unless a Windows Update or something could have somehow altered the database. That just seems very unlikely to me, however I have definitely gotten some weird behavior after updates have downloaded and/or installed.

Any help you can provide will be VERY greatly appreciated. I’d like to make sure I have a full understanding of what is happening so I can make sure I don’t run into anything like this again (and be able to remedy it on my own.)

While testing I finally decided to create a fresh database and try again with the tutorial. I used the import file and it worked like a charm so I know it’s not the machine it’s running on causing the issues. I took that idea one step further and backed up my live database, restored it on my test machine, removed any automation and imported it from the fresh database and that did not work. I didn’t think it would, but I thought by chance it may help me catch something I was missing from my live set up.

Thanks so much QMcKay! I really appreciate your input!

Ok so try this:

You could try adding another Constraint to this Rule, just in case:

{TICKET STATE:Status} Not Equals Paid

Besides that, selecting a Table Entity should have no effect on this setup. Only selecting a Customer Entity should affect the flow. These Rules are what decides when to switch between VIP and HH, and they are specifically Constrained to look at Customer Entities and their data…

If the Customer Entity has a VIP Level greater than 0, then the system sets the VIP Ticket State to Active, and VIP discounts override HH Discounts. The discount received depends on the Product Tag that corresponds to the VIP Level …

So as per the Tutorial, the names of elements are not arbitrary, because the setup is looking for very specific details.

For example, you cannot change the Product Tag to be “VIP1, VIP2, VIP3” and then expect this to work, because the setup is looking specifically for “D1, D2, D3” as shown in the picture above, and in places like this:

'{ORDER STATE:DiscountType}'=='VIP' && [=TN('{ITEM TAG:D{ENTITY DATA:Customer:VIP Level}}')]>0
                            corresponds to D1, D2, D3  ^