What will be the best way to offer a free Item off a main meal purchase

Ok I understand that but what if waiter forgets to select the item? Do you want some system to remind waiter? Or is that just going to be a discipline you train them?

if its a pop up question I donā€™t understand how he will be able to forget?

To initiate the popup he has to click on the mealā€¦ what if he never clicks on the meal? You mean selecting it from the menu ā€¦ the moment its added>?

So how often do you want this popup to come upā€¦ every time that meal is added during the specific time? Or do you want it only asked once if multiples of that same meal selected in same order?

Yes selecting from menu

every order, same question

So if same order added 5x in same ticket you want it asked 5x?

How else are we going to gift an selection of items?

What I am saying is do you want to give 5 gifts in same ticket or just 1?

What if its a family of three 2 adults 1 kidā€¦ you wouldnt give 2 free kids meals would you?

PS I am prodding you for more information to understand your flow.

@stephanhenning once we work out a solid flow for you we can build a tutorial. I could build a tutorial now but it may not be what you want. Then again you could take it and modify itā€¦

You have a good memory, this post we on now I was trying to get was for ā€œfree glass of wine with any pasta orderedā€.

The one you thinking of was my other special we discussed earlierā€¦ free kids meal with any main meal.

The pasta was such a small selection I created special buttons for those few under a ā€œspecialsā€ category so they could have pop up question linked straight to them, but they could be greyed out or pop up does not pop for a lack of a better word when the special isnā€™t running

Ah ok sorry you never mentioned that.

These can operate similar methodā€¦ but you just modify it slightlyā€¦

OK So now that we know the flow which is Free glass of wine with any pasta orderā€¦ that is simplerā€¦ I will write a quick tutorial for that.

so lets do the kids eat free one, i think its a bit more complex

Let me show you the wine one firstā€¦ it can serve as the base for the kids meal one. I mean you can use same technique just modify it slightly for kids meal.

PS. as you can see its very important to discuss the entire flow with these things so we can offer more targeted help. Otherwise we are likely to give you something more generic.

2 Likes

I have a tutorial ready. Give me a few minutes to prep the screenshots.

1 Like

Create an Add Order action:

Within this action you need to set calculate price as false and set the default portion and quantity you want added.

Create Ask Question Action

Create Order Added to Ticket Rule

Set Constraint Menu Item Group Code Equals Pastas or whatever your pasta products group code is.
Set Constraint {DATE:ddd} Matches Tue|Thu so it only works on those 2 days.
Set Question to whatever text you want it to display.
For Buttons the format is Button Name=Menu Item Name separated with a , So in my example My button will say Dr Pepper and Dr Pepper is the menu item name.
Automation Command Name can be anything you want but I used Free Item. This is the command that will be executed from the Ask question.

Create an Automation Command Executed rule

Constraint should be Automation Command Name Equals `ā€™ so my example I used Free Item as command name from Ask Question so mine was as in the screenshot.

Insert your Add Order action to this rule and use [:CommandValue] for Menu Item Name.

3 Likes

That should be itā€¦ feel free anyone to help me format that. I wrote it quickly. The result is as followsā€¦

Notice it shows the price but its not calculated in the total. This is so it deducts it from inventory correctly and for reporting.

Now you could customize this further to put a state on the item to show if its gifted or not for printout reasons.

This same system can be enabled for the kids mealsā€¦ just use different constraints in the rule.

4 Likes

PS @JTRTech you mentioned you have not tried using Commands with ask questions? This shows a very good example of how to do that :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I saw it, and that is great example, pretty sure I got it :slight_smile:

Quick question regarding free items and combos.

So from my understanding there is no way to set a while order exists condition. So for example #1 Combo is added and it comes with a free small juice.

Is there a way to say while #1 Combo order is added to ticket, Small juice free pricelist activated. The reason I point this out is because a combo could be added, then free juice added, then combo removed and free juice will still be free.

Thank you very much, Already tested and all works great, this will help me immensely! Iā€™m sure there are a lot of users that will implement this as is.

Straight to tutorial you go!

*Inside me there is a little boy doing strange dance mooves

1 Like

I have always had this problem with my Free Coffee. Not sure how to work around it, but it doesnā€™t bother me much - I just remove the coffee manually if the meal is cancelled.

1 Like