Windows 10 HOME Edition, Recommended?

In my previous setups I have always used Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 Bit. Brilliant OS.However you do become limited on the versions of SQL Server you can use with this OS.

I now have new hardware that comes pre-installed with Windows 10 Home edition which can be patched to accept Remote connections.

Is this a recommended OS to use with SambaPOS and what is your experiences?

I don’t use RDP hacks but I do use windows 10 and it works great with Samba, home and pro are both great.

2 Likes

I found restarting can be time consuming due to constant updates being installed by Windows 10 which can cause down time in busy periods if you ever need to restart the terminal.

I found it useful to disable the Windows Updates in Services.

Windows 10 Updates can be time-consuming but they should not arbitrarily be running in the middle of a day. They can be set for installation in off-hours times like over night.

You can also set your Network Connection to Metered, and Updates will never even be downloaded. I have 2 computers at my house set as Metered and they are several updates behind. They don’t even realize that updates are available.

I have a combination of Win 10 Home and Pro machines. They all run great, though I do prefer Pro if only for it’s flexibility on configuring policies and patches, and the ease of uninstalling MS App Crapware.

2 Likes

Only SQL Express 2016 cannot be installed on windows 7 (it also only works on 64 bit OS). You can install SQL Express 2014 on Windows 7 and I’m still using that for all my setups. I don’t think you’re going to notice any different from 2014 and 2016 in SambaPOS unless you are going to create custom scripts that use the new JSON features in 2016.

2 Likes

Okay thanks for the input guys.

I have gone live with my new setup earlier today on a Lenovo IdeaCentre 21.5" Touch running:

Windows 10 Home
SQL Server 2016

Previously I was successfully running Windows 7 Ultimate with SQL Server 2014. This has been running smoothly for years. But having upgraded the Hardware I decided to give this new OS a go before resorting to reverting the system to a bare bone Win 7 Install with a bunch of drivers to install. :confused:

Hopefully runs smoothly.

If u want work with win 10 its good but not with home edition can’t make many user for remote control use pro edition :+1:

1 Like

I am using windows 7 sp1 64 bit with sql server express 2005 and it is fast as hell :smiley: