Add negative sum on payment screen

I have just realise there is no option to add a negative sum on the payment page.
If there is a full refund been given the “All” button works.
If for example a customer paid with two different payment methods how can we enter this data.

Example customer paid €500 Cash and €5000 by credit card.
It is not possible to enter -500 to refund cash. all entered values are positive

Its hard to understand what your doing with just that screen.

If the ticket has a negative balance (a refund) the charge amount would just be 0.
You take 0 from them, balance is negative so change is processed to that value…

Show a full screen shot or better explain the situation.

[quote=“silentbob, post:1, topic:8451”]
Example customer paid €500 Cash and €5000 by credit card.It is not possible to enter -500 to refund cash. all entered values are positive
[/quote] If you are refunding 500 cash why would the total be 5500, the refund would be 500 leaving -500 total, and charged 0 making 500 in change by cash.

This is just a test example.
This customer has paid me €5500 in total, €5000 by credit card and €500 cash.
If i try to refund the €500 cash first, I cannot type in -€500.
If i could id put in the -500 which would bring the total down to -5000 and i could then click “All” and it will enter the -5000. and settle by credit card

You can’t charge 0

is this actually a refund?
If it was a refund the sale would be already processed 5500, earlier today, yesterday etc.
Later/after sale you would start new transaction select the product you will be refunding for 500, select it, click refund, this will give you -500 balance and processing as cash will refund the amount of cash.
This would also reduce the amount of sales by 500 to coraspond with the 500 sale you are now refunding.

If the ticket/payment screen is still open close button should close the payment screen and clear any imput payments which haven’t been processed.

This is all unless you have customised the system and the ticket closing rules as you have a ticket with a negative total.
You cannot by default go to payment screen without a ticket with a balance so if they paid 5000 + 500 the total cannot be -5500 ie you would have to have an order on the ticket.

Pretty much you have to has changed your default rules as you cannot close a ticket wonce payment amount exceeds the ticket total without it processing the tendered amount and any excess as change.

Please show a screen shot of the whole thing showing the ticket in question.

Customer purchased something last week for €5500
They change their mind and look for full refund of €5500.
€500 of this was paid by cash and €5000 by credit card.

At the minute this would have to be done under two separate tickets, one for €500 cash and one for €5000 credit card.

What id like is to be able to add -500 settle cash and the then “All” (-5000) and settle credit card.

OK, that makes allot more sesense.
I notice you are using misc item, in the mean time i would sugest two seperate orders of misc
1 x MISC 500
1 x MISC 5000
select both and click refund.
click settle
select the 500 on the left on the payment screen should give you -500 in the charged field, select cash
select 5000 on left and select card

This should get you by.

The confusion was just on the explination, what you want is ‘SPLIT PAYMENT TYPE FOR REFUND’

When the items have a negative value no ticket total or tax totals are shown,
Also on payment screen there is no list of ticket items i can select to do as you described above

hmmm ok,
maybe as two tickets then for now then to get you but, sure @emre can sort a solution for this fairly quickly.

In true reverse accounting you won’t use negative amounts. You shouldn’t use negatives for that. You setup reverse accounting with a refund payment type and full accounting built around it.

I had it configured that way but i couldn’t get it to refund to customer accounts.

Also while using “true reverse accounting”, although the accounts were correct, the work period report was incorrect as these “Refund” tickets had a positive balance, therefore were included in the total sales.
With the negative balance the reports work as they should and there is no messing about with Transaction Types.

I had the same issue when building refunds in, you will not get samba to work refunds with a minus in the payment screen as some functions will not work with a minus

I created full refund accounting, ticket types, payment types etc and reports

What you need to do is your own reports, forget the default WP report, you can do so much more with reports module in V4 (built in in V5). I dont have issues with refunds affecting sales in reports as you can design your own.

Id seriously consider buying reports module or even better upgrade to v5 if you havent aleady :slight_smile:

1 Like

I @silentbob
I know I’m bringing this back from the dead, but I am having similar troubles and was wondering if anyone has solution?

Using negative settle figures I can make the refunds work correctly with the customer account (assuming that we can credit ALL the refund to the cusotmer account).

If if try to use proper reverse accounting, then I can’t credit the correct customer account with the refund.

What is the correct way to do this?