Auto delete customer after cash out?

I am sure it IS more customizable. But like I said, I really only need the basic functions of a POS system.

From reading the posts and the conversation here, I am being told “Yes, it can be done, here is an example of one person figuring it out. But, he can’t (and doesn’t) tell you how he did it, and there are no instructions on how to do it, but if you want to try by using some combination of Rules, Actions, Commands, Screens, and Widgets , maybe you can figure out how he did it. But nobody will explain how he did it and there are no instructions for it”.

And my head is spinning. lol

You just need to spend some time learning its features. SambaPOS can run a restaurant just fine with default setup and minimal customization. Cashup screen is not required for a basic POS.

Your not going to find many easy turn on and turn off options with SambaPOS other than the basic POS setup it comes with built in. That is by design because SambaPOS is built purposely to allow you to customize just about every aspect of it exactly how you need.

If you dont want to learn how rules and actions work, or other features of SambaPOS then you will never really be able to use it much so in that case SambaPOS is not for you.

I have never used a POS system in any business (retail, restaurant, etc) that did NOT have an option to balance the drawer. I can;t imagine why anybody would want a POS system where at the end of the day you just have to say "Well… I bet there is enough money in there… " It kind of defeats the entire purpose of a POS system. I can use (and will probably have to) use what the other people using this seem to use… An Exel spreadsheet, but that will come down to what is more important to me in the long run… Money or convenience.

I looked at probably 40 POS systems today and NONE of them lacked a “settle” option. I am SURE this software needs it.

All the other open source POS systems (I tried them all today lol) have a start and end drawer option. They have HORRIBLE GUI though. They tend to look more like an exel spreadsheet rather than a tough screen POS system. This one is by FAR better looking,

SambaPOS is not open source and it does offer tools to build a very nice custom made for your business cash up screen. I cant really convince you either way so lets leave it at that.

Yes but can they let you design where you want your buttons, the colors the buttons are on the screen, will they let you choose how it calculates the cashup? the answer is no but SambaPOS does.

Its not that SambaPOS doesnt offer it… it offers it in a way the others dont. You can make the cashup screen exactly how you want it. That is what is different about SambaPOS you can literally customize it exactly how you need it…so instead of precoding a bunch of options and forcing you to choose between them SambaPOS lets you customize it exactly how you want. Anyway I think we have beat this horse until it cant breathe lol.

Oh and you can do all of this without knowing a bit of code.

1 Like

You changed the subject, thus my confusion. Having a cashout screen has nothing to do with keeping and paying Tabs when the customer Settles their Ticket.

Well, look, I can post a full Tutorial and even a DB Tools file that you can import into your system with a few clicks which will give you my exact Cashout screen. That way you have no chance of messing up the setup.

The problem with this is the dual currency that I am required to deal with, among other things…

• do you have more than 1 currency?
  • what are the denominations of your currency? the bills and the coins?
  • how many different taxes do you have, what are they called, and what are their rates?
  • is your system set up to include or exclude tax in the price?
  • what are you credit cards? do you accept them? what about debit?
  • what about Tips? Do they go in a jar, in the servers pocket, or into the drawer to be reconciled later?
  • are Tips via Credit Card removed from cash drawer when you Settle a Ticket, or do they stay there until you cashout at the end of the day? We need to reconcile that too now.

See this is why there is no cookie-cutter system. Even if you have seen or tried other POS software that has cashin/out right out of the box, the answers to the above questions change everything. We cannot simply assume that everyone lives in the US, Canada, GB, or whatever.

So, ok, we could throw together a “generic” cashout screen. Even make it a DB Tools import to get basic functionality in a few clicks, sure. Then you have what I have and everyone is happy. But no, then the questions and requests start rolling in to “change this” or “add/remove this”. Now you need to go through it and figure out how it works and how to change it yourself, because not everyone wants the same thing, requires the same thing, or even likes the layout.

Ths is what @Jesse is getting at … SambaPOS lets you customize it to no end, to your heart’s content. And it is precisely this flexibility that “prevents” having something like a cashout screen “built-in”. Because a built-in “solution” is not a solution at all - instead it is a hard inflexible non-changeable kludge that you need to figure out how to work around for your specific needs. With SambaPOS, you get to decide and design real solutions that work for you, exactly the way you expect it to, in a manner that is intuitive to you.

So, is that what you want? If so, I can give a DB Tools file that you import within a minute and you will have my V5 cashout screen and all of its wondrous functionality. Except for the parts you don’t want, need, or like, and some parts left out that you do need, want, or like.

I don’t know what you are referring to. There are many uses of Ticket Tags to add extra information to a Ticket such as Stay/To-Go, Payment Info, Seats at a Table, Notes, etc. They can be whatever you want. I have a Ticket Tag for Dine In / To Go and another that stores exact Payment Details for the Ticket so I can easily recall that information later.

I just set up a basic system for an associate that has no “extra” features. It took me 30 hours to complete. Now I will spend more time tweaking it to add things that he requests. This is an ongoing thing for the first while.

I also continue to tweak and build things for my own venue. I am going to change the way Tips are handled and integrate that into Cashout. It might take me a few days to get it working the way I want… when I find the time to do it, when not helping others.

1 Like

@tommymsw possibly so you can just get SambaPOS handling the cash out in a more simple way, maybe you can consider this tutorial to setup a till float and cash out? I know it doesn’t have all the fancy things like the other one, but at least it will give you those basic features you are looking for. This also works on V4 if you don’t want to use V5.

Further down after the main tutorial there is a database tools file you can download and import into SambaPOS V4 using the Database Tools module, which you can add via the SambaMarket. Database Tools is built in to V5.

I think you can use this for now, and once you start to use SambaPOS more, you can look to use something more like those you mentioned previously. Or maybe later there is a tutorial for setting it up.

There is a lot on the forum to show you how to setup very advanced things, as well as simple things. And if you really don’t have time time, you can always just start a topic in the Ads category and someone who is more experienced with SambaPOS can provide you with paid support.

I hope this helps you out anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry, the forum would not let me post again for like 17 hours. :slight_smile:

Well, the ticket thing I can deal with. I’ll just use the generic customer names like “bill” over and over. Rather than select “new customer”, we can just search and see if that name has already been used and use it again.

As far as a way to settle the drawer, I get the whole “customize” thing. But isn’t it easier to have a general “settle” option, like the other POS systems and then make you able to customize OFF of that? Rather than have to start from scratch? As far as what I need, I don’t need anything fancy (Just the typical setup):

do you have more than 1 currency? No. Just one US Dollars
what are the denominations of your currency? the bills and the coins? The normal US currency 1,5,10,20,50,100 in bills 1,5,10,25 in coin.
how many different taxes do you have, what are they called, and what are their rates? We have a meals tax but I already have that set up (I think). That should not alter how much is expected in the till.
is your system set up to include or exclude tax in the price? It includes tax
what are you credit cards? Visa, Mastercard, Amex
do you accept them? We do, but I run them through the credit card machine separate. So I just note in the POS that it was paid by card. That is already set up in the POS and needs no function in the till settle.
what about debit? Same as credit, not relevant to the till settle.
what about Tips? Do they go in a jar, in the servers pocket, or into the drawer to be reconciled later?
**are Tips via Credit Card removed from cash drawer when you Settle a **
Ticket, or do they stay there until you cashout at the end of the day? Cash tips go in a jar. They take their credit card tips after they settle out the drawer, but this also doesn’t need to be part of the till settle. I just want to make sure the CASH in the drawer matches what is supposed to be in there. AFTER we know it matches, they can take their tips out. I know a POS will usually also tell you what you expect in credit cards, but I am even OK with ONLY cash. At least I will know if the cash is correct. The cards I can still do the long way.

I just need it to work EXACTLY like other POS systems. Nothing fancy, just the regular stuff. It is great that you can do all of that extra stuff, but my business is just a normal restaurant.

And as far as “full function” (I didn’t mean to insult) I meant, had all the features ready to go, not that they could not be set up somehow. i have to open for business in TWO days! lol

P.S… I LOVE that you can add “modifiers” as you go. That will save me a TON of time. My staff can add them as they need them and then BOOM! There is a button for everybody else! :slight_smile: That is a HUGE feature!

Never took it as an insult. SambaPOS will never have a bunch of features ready to go. SambaPOS will never be like the other POS offerings and thats a good thing. You are still missing the point but one day you will understand and it will all make sense to you.

Then why not just use the other POS system? Its a serious question… is it only because of money?

Well again SambaPOS is different and will not have pre-configured settings you can just turn on and off like most other cookie cutter POS systems. SambaPOS lets you make it how you want it and because of that you may find less pre-configured setups out of the box.

We understand some people still want easy quick setup options so Configuration Tasks and Database Tools files were introduced so we could share configurations. Not much interest has been shown toward configuration tasks as far as building them but lots of people use them. We can expand on that in the future hopefully.

Well… It just seems to be about the till feature. I mean, it comes with an option for tabs and tables built right in and an option to start tabs and pay out tabs all built in. So it seems as if the normal options ARE built right into the system. When I turned it on, there was even a sample database already configured and aside from the till option, everything else is almost as simple as “choosing an option”. The wording is a little different than a commercial POS, but the options are quite similar and in some ways MUCH better. And yes, it IS the cost that drew me to here… I find the commercial versions to be customization… Adding buttons, even selecting size and placement by dragging and dropping. The cost is just exhausting… Possibly a LARGE business would not be bothered by it, but for me, it is hard to make a living when most of your profits are spent on just running the place. I’ve used commercial POS systems in the past, but you shell out a LOT of money, then a few years later, they are out of business and you have to find a NEW system and shell out the money all over again. I am a small business that basically just keeps itself afloat. I don’t mind investing a little time and work in order to save a few dollars here and there… But if there are no directions on how to set up the till settle option I saw in the other post, I don;t think I will be able to figure it out on my own in any reasonable amount of time. I will likely just go commercial for a bit and keep this on my laptop, mess with it and follow the forum… If I ever figure out how to use it better, I can make the jump then. Thank you so much for your time and patience though :slight_smile:

Yes it comes with a basic setup out of the box that can run an entire restaurant just fine and is a great starting point. Once you start configuring you can check in with us on the forum and we can assist you if you get stuck. Just dive in and experiment, run several tutorials even the ones you may not need they teach you how to use features. You will find its really not that difficult after all.

RickH was really not a seasoned expert when he wrote the Till Cash up system. He just studied some of the new features and then started experimenting and with our assistance when he asked questions he was able to build it. Although it was not over night.

I plan to build one similar to his as well I just havnt gotten around to it yet so I manually cashup my tills which atm is only 2.

Thanks… But I will probably have to wait until somebody makes a “how to” for it. Then I can still customize it to my exact needs (hopefully). I found nice “how tos” for the other features I needed… Like a quick open check (without having to assign a table) and how to use “modifiers” although in this case, I think they were called “tags”? I would have never known that on my own… May be a little bit off a language barrier going here too? So I am looking for different key-words maybe?

I love to tinker with things and I spend more time customizing my electronics than I do using them. But I am short on time here, and “hopefully” going to be really busy when we open. :wink:

What do you do to cash your drawers out then? Maybe you know an easier way than I do? Once I have that figured, the REST of the stuff, I can customize as we use it… But I know I needed certain features to be there to start with. Like cashing out “or settling the till”. I spent all day yesterday pretending I was ringing in real orders to see what I needed, to at least make it workable so I can start using it and customize it as I go, and I think I got all the way to the balancing the drawer part, then read that part of the forum and went “uh-oh”. :slight_smile:

I am assuming that I “start a work period” at the beginning of a shift and then end it at the end of a shift, then have the next person start and end a new one? So I know what their sales were for their shift? I am used to calling that “opening and closing a cash drawer”… But then I just need to know a quick way to check the drawer to make sure they took the correct cash… :slight_smile:

Work periods are just for reporting reference. You start a work period at start of the day and close it before you lockup and leave. You use custom reports if you want to track users sales or sales per hour etc.

Thanks, again, would you mind telling me how YOU balance your drawer after a cashier finishes a shift? You may have a system that will save me a bit of trial and error time. :slight_smile:

I use a pencil, a calculator, and a piece of paper. I am not sure what your asking for? I make corrections to my Cash using accounting and transaction document after I am done balancing it.

Here are some older tutorials @QMcKay and I did that can give you an idea. Mine was based off QMcKay’s with some modifications.

lol… Nice. Old school. :slight_smile: I was just curious what you were doing. Maybe it was easier than what I could think of. So I run a report at the end of a cashier’s shift and see how much money should be in there? I am worried that may take a little long when switching from one shift to another, I will give it a whirl, maybe it is much more simple than I have envisioned in my head.

The process is the same… the only difference is you do the math yourself with calculator. You then can use account transaction documents etc to record your differences in SambaPOS. The accounting can be setup whatever way you want.

If you want a report for specific cashier then you should build a way to document that. You can use accounts or you can use other automation to assign a user to the till. Here is one method:

I record it all on paper and at end of the day I make my corrections to the accounting then I print my reports. So during the day there really isnt that big of an impact in time. I mean I am pretty good with math and its simple to count money so I cant tell a difference in speed manually counting vs entering numbers on a screen.

I plan to build an automation simply for the fact that its cool and it will save me time in long run.

1 Like