Cash Management & End of Work Period Cash Up

Its been a while since i said i would write a tutorial for a cash up screen, so long in fact that i have completed redesigned and re-written a simpler cash up screen built in a default database that should work as a base for any database. You can then customise it further, i am now in the process and customising it further for my needs so once completed ill also show that setup, built from this setup ill go through now and there is a database import file at the end

New Basic Cash Management - This is how it works

User logs in and is prompted to open new work period

Selecting NO logs user into navigation menu without opening a work period
Selecting YES opens a work period, prompts for Float value to be entered and then logs the user out

image.png1366x768 26.3 KB

image.png1366x768 17.6 KB

Till is now setup ready for the day

User logs in to make a sale as normal and settles as cash

image.png1366x768 22.4 KB

image.png1366x768 30 KB

Press Cash Management Button to print X Read, Perform a Cash Lift, or Cash up and Close the Work Period

Cash Management Screen

image.png1366x768 30 KB

So here we can see that the cash sale we just did has logged ÂŁ10 under cash takings, it has increased the Cash In Till balance to ÂŁ60 (ÂŁ50 float entered plus the ÂŁ10 cash sale)

We can also see that as we have not cashed up yet we have a Final Closing Cash Figure of MINUS ÂŁ10

So if we were to now cash up this work period:

1. Remove the float, press remove float and enter the float value

image.png1366x768 56.8 KB

You will now see that Cash In Till Figure has reduced to ÂŁ10
2. Now we need to enter all Cash, Card and Voucher takings we count from the cash drawer. As we only did a ÂŁ10 Sale we should only have ÂŁ10 to enter in cash. Press the Enter Final Cash Value button and enter the amount of cash you have

image.png1366x768 56.2 KB

image.png1366x768 82.3 KB

You can see that the cash takings figure under final closing figures has updated to ÂŁ10 and we no longer show a ÂŁ10 short. If you had card and voucher sales follow the same process above when pressing the enter final card and voucher buttons

Now the cashing up is complete we press the end work period button to close the work period

1. Press Close Work Period, then select NO to go back to cash management screen or yes to end shift, I selected YES

image.png1366x768 9.04 KB

1. Now confirm Till difference is correct, pressing NO will return you to the Cash Management screen, pressing YES will confirm till difference, close work period, print work period report, backup database and log user out, ready to start next work period

image.png1366x768 23.8 KB

image.png1366x768 17.6 KB

CASH LIFT FUNCTION
So youve taken a lot of cash and need to remove some from the cash drawer as its getting full and put it in the safe (*An additional to be added to this system is a notification on the POS screen to inform you when theres is too much cash in the till)

To remove money from the drawer Press Cash Management and then press the Cash Lift Button (in this case ive processed a large cash sale so the system thinks theres a lot of cash been taken)

image.png1366x768 84 KB

Press Enter Cash Lift and enter the amount you remove from the cash drawer, here we will take ÂŁ400

image.png1366x768 57.5 KB

Once entered this is the updated cash management screen

image.png1366x768 84 KB

1. You can see under cash takings on the left we expect to have ÂŁ500 in cash
  2. We cash lifted ÂŁ400 so the cash in till now shows as ÂŁ150 (ÂŁ100 remaining from the ÂŁ500 cash sale and the ÂŁ50 float) so at a glance we can see how much money we have in the cash drawer during trade
  3. Cash takings has on the final closing figure column has updated to £400, since we have already counted this amount and moved to safe we have “cashed this amount up”
  4. All that remains now is to finish a final cashup and enter the remaining cash figure, press enter final cash value button, enter ÂŁ100 and this will balance the drawer

image.png1366x768 83.7 KB

This added ÂŁ100 to final closing figure and balanced the till to ZERO difference

**Note to remember: all the buttons to enter cash, card, voucher, cash lifts etc are UPDATE buttons NOT additional. So if you do two cash lifts one for 200 and the second for 300 when entering the second one you would add the two together and enter 500 to update the figure to the total lifted

So if you made a mistake entering a cash figure for example you could just retype the correct figure to update

REMOVE FLOAT FUNCTION
Now to ensure a “clean” cash management screen we need to reset the cash drawer to zero before closing work period. If you forget to press the remove float button and instead press close work period you get the following error message

image.png1366x768 18.6 KB

Press OK to go back to cash management, then remove the float, you see my cash in till balance is now zero

image.png1366x768 82.9 KB

I can now press close work period and finish the closing of the work period as before

image.png1366x768 9.04 KB

image.png1366x768 23.8 KB

image.png1366x768 23.4 KB

BLOCK CLOSING OF WORK PERIOD WITH UNPAID TICKETS
So as we are automating the closing of the work period there is no built in function to provide an error message if you try to close the work period with unpaid tickets, pressing close work button will just appear not to work

So i have automated this process too, in the below screen shot i have added an order and added a customer entity and then closed the ticket so it is now unpaid. i have created a new state flow so that every ticket opened is marked as active and when fully paid it gets marked as inactive as can be seen below

image.png1366x768 22.5 KB

Now ive pressed close the ticket is not paid, if i now try to close the work period whilst having unpaid tickets this is what happens

1. Press close work period button
  2. following error message appears

image.png1366x768 28 KB

1. press the clear unpaid tickets button to be taken to a ticket lister screen of all unpaid tickets

image.png1366x768 10.3 KB

1. Press the ticket on screen to select and open it on the pos screen

image.png1366x768 10.8 KB

image.png1366x768 25 KB

1. now settle it as normal so it becomes paid and “inactive”
  2. go back to cash management screen, cash up as normal and then end the work period

heres the export file, ive tested the import on a blank database and it seems to work fine

Cash Management Setup.zip (6.3 KB)

4 Likes

Thanks @RickH This looks awesome.

1 Like

Hi ,Its great i have been longing to this kind of an idea.But is it possible to limit waiters from ordering after their have reached a certain amount then until they clear with cashier then they are allowed to continue with ordering cash limiting as per say

Yep you could setup a separate program settin for each waiter and when it hits a certain value it stops them being able to add orders to a ticket. Then they clear their cash and reset the vakue back to zero

I use the same idea to set a cash limit in the till, when that limit is reached a message flags up everytime a ticket is created telling you to perform a cash lift. Once the lift is complete the limit value resets

It’s definitelty doable

How do go about it especially setting up to certain value for the waiters if you don’t mind you can give us the screen shots

How to show cash differences in work period report

Hi @RickH,
I have imported the file, but its not working for me.

It works on a blank database so something else on your setup is stopping it. We will never know what if all you can tell us is that it isn’t working

What isn’t working ?

1 Like

hello @RickH, i can not see this screen

also some of the images in the tutorial are not availables if its posible to fix it would be great, thanks

That’s a custom entity screen you need to create, doesn’t look like I mentioned that in the tutorial I’ll update when I have time

1 Like

how can i see the cash management reports.
and can i see the history of other cash ins and outs ?

You’ll need to create the reports and you’ll need to configure any other cash ins and outs you need