Clarifications on the database

can I create a localdb database and then transfer it to sql express in the future?
and if so?
where is the database folder localdb?
is the difference between localdb and sql express only in multiuser?
a db sql expresso 2014 will be compatible with future versions?

They both operate exactly the same the difference is SQL Express full version runs as a service and SQLexpress localdb runs as a process that terminates when sambapos shuts down

To switch from localdb to full sql is as easy as running a backup and restoring it into full sql

And yes localdb supports single connection only full sql can accept multiple connections.

If installing full sql express go ahead and install latest version which is 2017 you can easily upgrade older versions.

1 Like

ok, now everything is clear!
so I advise you to download sql express 2017 directly?
I had problems connecting a client, when I install sql express I have to activate some services?
is it possible that the problem is due to the fact that the 2 pcs were named in the same way?
Thank you

That could pose a problem but probably not the issue. You need to follow basic networking to open up ports from the server so clients can connect to it. Typically turning firewall off. I have a good tutorial that can get you started it was made with 2014 but 2017 is the same process.

I can not connect a client,
these are the connection parameters on the servel, I insert them on the client but it does not connect, what’s wrong?
Cattura3

Try disabeling windows firewall, use mssms to make sure SA is enabled and Mixed Authentication Mode is enabled. Also try using the IP address of the server instead of server name something like 192.168.1.100\SQLEXPRESS but use your servers actual IP not the one I typed.

deactivated firewall, inserted ip but nothing!
how do i see if SA is in Mixed Authentication Mode and enable?

You use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio to connect to the database and check your settings. When installing SQL Express it gives you the option to use Mixed Authentication or Windows Authentication. You use MSSMS to also enable the SA account or switch it to Mixed Authentication if it is set for Windows Authentication.

both the server and sa are in mixed mode, I do not understand why it does not connect.
on the client should I have installed sql?
CatturaPNG1

Sorry but I can’t read that language. No you don’t need to install a second SQL server on the client.

Show the Connections properties in SSMS and be sure Allow Remote Connections is enabled there.

Also ensure this is not a LocalDb installation. Check Windows Services to be sure the SQL Server Service is shown running there. If it is not listed there, then you have a SQL Express LocalDB installation, which will NOT work for multi-terminal connections.

1 Like

nothing, I can not in any way, I even formatted the server because there were too many active services.
is there a step by step guide to doing a client configuration?
those that I found are not very clear.
is it possible that the server is not windows 10 and the client is windows 7?
On the client just install sambapos5 without database?

SambaPOS interoperability between Win10 and Win7 works. This will not cause an issue.

ONLY the “Server” should have SQL Express (full, non-LocalDB edition) installed as well as the MessageServer Service.

NOTE: the Message Server has nothing to do with DB connectivity, but is required for multi-terminal setups anyway, since it is responsible for terminal-to-terminal communication.

Other “client” Terminal machines do NOT require DB installation, nor do they require installation of the MessageServer Service. In fact, installation of DB and Message Server Service on “client” Terminals other than the “Server” will cause issues, guaranteed.

I think most of the Tutorials on multi-terminal are very good. This is the best:

Some good information on DB connection testing and issues is here:

When it comes to Message Server problems and DB connectivity problems, this Topic gives a great amount of detail into investigations and resolutions:

I share server-side configuration

Cattura3Cattura4

this and client side but give me error?Cattura

do I have to configure the network in some particular way?
if from the client side I ping the server I get an answer!

Disable Firewall (on the “Server”) and see if works. DB connectivity requires 2 open ports (1433 and 1434).

It also requires SQL TCP/IP protocol to be enabled. Use SQL Server Configuration Manager to verify this (this is not SSMS) …

The config manager is an MMC snap-in (a *.msc file) that you should find in your Start Menu, but if you don’t see it, you can search for “SQLServerManager”, and it will be located somewhere like this:

Look at all entries that mention “Protocol” and ensure TCP/IP is enabled …

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\SQLServerManager13.msc

Also, verify that the Network Connections on all Terminals are set to Private/Work/Home and NOT Public.

I finally succeeded!
In practice I had made all the changes mentioned in this discussion but until the server was restarted they were not saved. after restarting the server has connected!
Thank you guys.

2 Likes