COMET USB Caller ID Setup Issue

Here is my version.dat:
Version=5.1.59
FileVersion=5159
DbVersion=124
AppVersion=5.1.59
VersionTime=2016-04-13 2009

Do i need to upgrade to V 5.1.6 ?

For just showing raw data do i still need to use match pattern ?
I even tried [\s\S] for match pattern. Still no popup.

Its been over a month, and my COMET caller ID still doesnt work with sambaPOS.

If I need to configure match pattern to see data, can you help me out on the expected pattern? because i have tried many patterns, in the end also tried (?s).* and .* but nothing seems to work. Sambapos does not respond at all.

As mentioned before, raw data from the caller ID using putty is like this:

062118500897790537>
Decoding this:
06 | 21 | 18 | 50 | 0897790537 | >
= month | date | hour | minute | phone number | extra byte

PS: I’m not using putty and SambaPOS simultaneously as that is just common sense.
@morshed1 i’ve had the exact same setup but no success. My version is 5.1.59, but really doubt that the caller ID didnt work before V5.1.60.

So can anyone help me figure out where i went wrong?
The caller ID responds to incoming calls and does provide a valid output. The only issue is SambaPOS does not seem to be listening to the port. Putty with the exact same settings works just fine.

I have tried:
9600 bits per second at device manager, baud rate 1200 at samba >> nothing
9600 bits per second at device manager, baud rate 1200 at putty >> has output

1200 bits per second at device manager, baud rate 1200 at samba >> nothing
1200 bits per second at device manager, baud rate 1200 at putty >> has output

1200 bits per second at device manager, baud rate 9600 at samba >> nothing
1200 bits per second at device manager, baud rate 9600 at putty >> nothing

as you can see, i have exhausted every possible combination. Including the ones that look fundamentally wrong.
I’m really out of options and a fair lump of money in the drain.

According to this…

So did you tried this?

.{8}(.{10})
  • That means skip first 8 numbers take remaining 10.

Also try “Advanced Generic Modem” setup parameters as you did on putty and also set Read Timeout as 100. That changes port listening method.

Try setting entity type name.

Well sorry for that but trying to blind guess the issue is something really hard. Comet is not a device sold in our country so I can’t test it physically.

2 Likes

I have also tested on 5.1.59,58 and earlier version of sambapos and have not come across this behaviour.

Ok, 4 months have passed without any success on the Comet Caller ID
I’m wondering if there are issues with the environment.

I’m using a server for SambaPOS. Added an NVIDIA graphic card. No Sound card on board.
Using a plug-and-play USB sound card dongle.

Noticed in the called ID setup for TRIXES USB 56K External Dial Up Voice Fax Data Modem has some reference to audio outputs. So i’m wondering if that affects my setup as my soundcard is not the usual type. Its a long shot i know… but at this point i’m desperate.

Putty works perfectly with the caller ID. Just SambaPOS does not show any popup.

how did you configure Entity Types for ‘Customer’? can you provide a screen capture of all your settings?

if Putty works perfectly then something is not correct in your Sambapos configuration.

Here is my Customer type Entity:
phone being the primary field.

Below is my settings/configuration and it works.

Local Settings:

Department - Take Away

Entity Screens - TAKE AWAY

Additional Information:

Ok my Configuration is pretty much the same:
Device Manager:

SambaPOS Config:

Entity Screen:

Department:

So we are pretty much the exact same configuration… unless you notice something i missed.

Braud rate is different for one.
Also you have no match pattern or entity type?

Yeah added Entity Type, and match pattern to no luck.
Also tried setting it up as Advanced Generic Modem, but that didnt work.
Baud rate 9600 @ putty also does not work… I notice others used baud rate 9600 in device manager and 1200 in putty and SambaPOS which is very odd, but the only combination that seems to work.

PS: Would the SambaPOS team be willing to connect via team-viewer and check the configuration on my SambaPOS server? I understand you cant really test the caller ID remotely, but if you can have a look at my config and tell me if you notice something it would be much appreciated.

Ok. to figure out if the issue is the environment, i installed SambaPOS on a new system now.
Installed Comet Caller ID at COM5, baud 9600.
Putty again at 9600 baud did not give me anything, 1200 got me the correct phone number with 8 extra digits in the beginning. hence the match pattern .{8}(.{10})

I’ve setup everything all over, and im stuck at the same point again.
Fair to say the issue must be in my config…

Here is what i have:
Caller ID Settings:

Entity Type:

any ideas ?

So far i have tried both baud 9600 and 1200 in device manager and SambaPOS & Vice versa.
Installed the Comet caller ID inside Sambapos as:
Comet Caller ID,
Generic modem,
Advanced Generic Modem, tried emre’s tip on setting read timeout as 100, also tried 300, 500 and 1000 as i noticed the caller ID blinks about half a second after the phone starts ringing.

The only possible issue i can imagine now is something to do with my detailed settings in SambaPOS.

Are we talking about this model? This is what SambaPOS supports and should just work with Comet Device.

http://www.crucible-technologies.co.uk/products/WEB-COMET

yes this is it emre. Really sorry to be a pain… im really stuck with it.

does it have an external test application?

i tested with putty and that works.
they dont provide anything more than the driver.

If it is exactly that model there is no need to deal with modem devices. Better setup a default SambaPOS to ensure there is no configuration issue and configure comet device as morshed showed.

You can also try to handle “Device Event Generated” rule and put a show message in it. In all configurations it will trigger when it receives a phone number.

1 Like

Guys, we are really out of time here, customer is starting complaining about we are not able to make it run Samba Pos Caller ID Module.
I tried to investigate a bit also “outside” sambapos. So following my thoughts.

1. The modem we use (COMET as suggested in tutorial) seems working fine
  2. Customer and Line provider are located in Thailand (maybe some different telco standards?)
  3. Using Putty seems the ID is read from the PORT and sent to the PC
  4. Putty DO NOT seems to listen and display any RING RING before showing the number.
  5. The number format seems to be in Single Data Message Format, SDMF. and NOT Multiple
    Data Message Format, MDMF, as UK standard. So only date time and calling number is sent over the line.
    My wondering is: Do SambaPos module work ok either with SDMF and MDMF formats?
    To me, it looks like the DATA is sent ok to the PC, but for some reason (misconfiguration or bug?) SambaPOS does not recognize the input STRING and DO NOT show up the popup.

We posted here many and all possible screenshot for configure the system. All seems fine.
We tried all possible configuration, now please, help us to troubleshoot the issue and maybe we will find another “use case” or tip to add the the public forum to help developers to make sambapos even a better product.

Thanks in advance for any help!

FYI duplicating your posts will just p*ss people off not get more help…

Do you get anything?

I hadn’t used caller ID for a long time but do you get anything?
Try taking out the search side of things and just try and get a notification full stop.
If your not getting a notification I would say it’s config error as com port is fairly basic interface, while the auto searching entity is more involved just a device triggered event should be basic and easy. If you can’t do that your just making finding the problem harder by complicating with all the other parts.

Thanks,
Also duplicating responses p@$ss people off.
As I said, its been months we try to fix the issue and tried all possible configurations. So just saying its a config problem does not give any help.
If someone has some good point to try id welcome.