Database Backups tab incredibly slow to load

Ive moved them into a archive subfolder.
That smaller one didnt like being moved so perhaps corupted and causing issue loading the list.

Is fine now ive move 99% of them to an archive folder and deleted that smaller one.

That means it is still open. Restart the system should resolve.

1 Like

You moved %99 to another directory and it still slow. Is that correct?

It was that smaller one, think it was corrupt or something as wouldn’t move, deleting that. If put others back it’s still a little slow to load but as said it has to look into the zips so qty will be a factor but no longer minutes as before.

1 Like

I had same issue,

It was due to cloud drive not fully sync. I deleted a load of the files and then when I went to show the databases the folders didn’t match and so windows was synching the files. That’s what slowed samba because it was waiting to show the files that hadn’t syncd

Of that makes sense?

I had a progress bar that, when complete, all of a sudden it showed the backups within samba

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but if my backups are more than 1 GB, is that bad?

Mine does that but it’s because it’s on onedrive and it’s downloading them.

Your zipped backup should not be 1Gb in size. I think there must be something seriously wrong with your setup. What size is your database?

Can you run a report to show the table size in SSMS. Right click database, select Reports > Standard Reports > Disk Usage by Table.

On the report, click the sort on the Data (KB) column to sort descending, showing the largest size at the top, then paste a screenshot of the results here.

Thats an impressive number of tickets;

Interesting how your orders table is not hugly larger for allot more ticket but expect thats because I have a large number of order states.
Tasks seems pretty big for the number of records in comparison to other tables but guess they are likley storing allot of data.
I got have much use of tasks on this system to compare but most tables seem comparable for the number of records.

What are you storing in tasks ? That is a huge proportion of data to records. 3 million account transactions and it’s less than half of your tasks which is only 92k

The only thing I use Tasks for is from this tutorial.

Isn’t the max for SQLExpress 10 GBs? Should I be worried?

Yes you should probably upgrade to paid full SQL server or reduce it

So, if I go for the “Standard - per Core” route, I would have to shell out $14,868.00 for a 4-core computer.

If I go for the “Standard - server + CAL” route, it would only be $3,724.00, but I would have to pay extra for each terminal I decide to add on in the future.

Is this something that SambaPOS users will face eventually?

Wow, that is a big jump from free version LOL.
If it were me I would backup and then clear transactions etc and start fresh LOL

Exceeding limits on free express would be an eventuality for any software keeping a historical transaction log etc at some point, just depends on the rate you expand records.

No. Even you have millions of transactions you are not gonna to exceed the limit of SQL Express.

I remember your situation now, if I remember correctly I connected to your system half a year or so ago when you had some serious issue relating to database size. I told you then you had a kitchen display that you were not using and it was storing many tasks. You told me at the time because Vebhi had looked into it and found another issue, you didn’t need my help. I explained the tasks issue would not go away. This is relatively easy to fix, you need to clear tasks table and remove the kitchen display setup you are not using. You then need to shrink the database to remove all the unused space. You would then be down to a more reasonable size. Before shrinking you can also look at the auto size columns in SambaPOS program settings > Maintenance which will reduce memory usage of SQL server.

1 Like

I removed the Kitchen Display as you had recommended and Vehbi removed the data from the Tasks table half a year ago.

Back then, the problem was the computer itself. I had a standard consumer-level SSD in my previous computer and SSDs are generally not known for their longevity under constant read-writes.

I tested my read/write speed using CrystalDisk. My read speed decayed to like 70Mb/s and my write speed was like 3 Kb/s. Now, I’m using a server-grade SSD.

What was the command for deleting tasks again?

If kitchen display was only use of tasks one of these cant be true as over a GB of task table suggests otherwise if thats the case.

92.000 is not a huge number.
But there is a free space in DB, after deleting old tasks from table.
So you can make a Shrink operation to remove free spaces from DB. (via SQL Management Studio)
And if you use full recovery model, your log file can be bigger.

1 Like